AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating AutoPLANT Models to Plant 3D 2024

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
joel_shelstromMRDK8
432 Views, 7 Replies

Migrating AutoPLANT Models to Plant 3D 2024

We have a lot of AutoPLANT 3D projects with multiple clients. Since AutoPLANT is retiring at the end of 2024, we are looking for a way to migrate AP Models to Plant 3D 2024. AutoPLANT only has an object enabler for AutoCAD 2020. I found a way to migrate the AP 3D models to P3D. These are the steps I am using:

1. XREF the AP model into Plant 3D 2019, then bind and explode it.

2. Copy the DWG into Plant 3D 2024. I am able to see the AP objects.

The issue I am having is that I can not connect even a line to the model. For example, when I try to draw a line from the center of a flange, I am unable to pick any points on the flange. I thought maybe I need to convert to a AutoCAD solid, but that still doesn't work. I also tried to WBLOCK the AP objects, but when inserted into P3D, most of the components are missing. 

As of right now, we do have the AP objects in Plant 3D. This might be enough for the clients. Just to be able to see the existing components. I was hoping to find a way in case they want to tie-into the components somehow. Does anyone have a an idea on how I can get this to work. Maybe there is a better way, than what I am doing, to get the AP models into P3D

Thanks,

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

I've done this before with Smartplant. We got the PCF exports from Smartplant then imported the PCF into Plant3D which made it P3D items. You will need to recreate the spec though in P3D from AutoPlant. So if you can get PCF exported from AutoPlant, you can them import those to P3D as P3D pipe, elbows, flanges etc. There might be a little rework here and there but you should get most of it in.

Message 3 of 8

Thank you very much for the reply. I will test this method. I will update the post with my results.

Message 4 of 8

I did some tests with this and it works great. I use the PCF to Pipe tool of P3D. The components came in and I was able to connect to them with no issues. The only thing is the AutoPLANT specs have to be converted to Plant 3D prior to import. It will prompt you saying it couldn't find the spec. You have the option of mapping the missing spec with existing Plant 3D specs. 

Thanks again for your help. 

Message 5 of 8

Don't forget that there's a convert option in the Spec Editor to convert your specs and catalogs. In the settings you can map properties and geometry.

MichielValcke_0-1708675018293.png

Message 6 of 8

Yes, I did convert the specs prior to the PCF import. I was prompted that it couldn't find the specs, so I just mapped them to the newly converted specs. I was even able to run an ISO on the imported components. So that's great. 

Message 7 of 8

there are paid products that do the conversions as well... are you looking to do it yourself or want to use paid services?

Message 8 of 8

We will just use the PCF method. It works great and we don't have to pay any extra for other applications to do basically the same thing. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report