AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loosing line number!?

33 REPLIES 33
Message 1 of 34
Fragels
5341 Views, 33 Replies

Loosing line number!?

I keep loosing line number information. It dissapears from my line number list and the pipe in the model also loses it's line number and becomes Unassigned. I do not use the P&ID application, only Plant 3d and it's line list under Home - Part Insertion

This has happened multiple times for one particular line number.

So far I have not noticed any other line in my project but I have not checked all of them.

The tag format setup for my pipes is:

P3d Line Group.Number[A] - TargetObject.Service - TargetObject.Nominal Size

Is this a known problem?

Is there a solution?

33 REPLIES 33
Message 21 of 34
ajmolina
in reply to: willinbrief

Yep,  using 2016 and this randomly happened to me this morning.  Strangely enough,  even though all line numbers say "unassigned" if you "add to selection> entire line number", it still highlights the lines the way they were when I left Friday evening.  

-Copying the entire plant 3D directory to a new folder and opening that .xml solved the problem.  Line number tags are restored.  Ortho drawings are still linked and work fine.  

Tried Voiding out existing project directory and re-copying to the same folder and that didn't work.  PLANTAUDIT didn't do anything either.  I guess I'll just work in this new folder from now on.

Message 22 of 34
RuySTC
in reply to: ajmolina

hi there, 

do you have an idea how can i copy the whole project directory if i'm using SQL server?

will appreciate your response..

thank you..

Message 23 of 34
Anonymous
in reply to: Fragels

Hello,

I'm having a far more worse case.

I named the line number as followed "F1:RW(SS):X24;F4:Support B" and it also shows in the properties from any pipe segment/fitting of this particular line number.

However, when I want to produce the ISO, it shows only the half line number. By clicking creating the ISO, a error message instantly appears "No selected parts for ISO!"

I followed the advice from the forum here to create a new project and link the drawing into the new project. I did it 3 times, but it still happens. Some line number even disappeared in the previous project file.

I'm not sure, whether ACAD can accept symbols like [:],[;] and [space].

When I rename the line number, i can produce the ISO without any issue. Other line numbers are even longer as the one mentioned above and do not face any issue.

Create ISO 2.pngCreate ISO.pngLine Number.pngProperties.png

Message 24 of 34
Dadspackard
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous,

I think you answered your own question with the file naming. It is not just AutoCAD but windows also will not accept certain characters.

file_naming.jpg

Hope this helped.

Tom
aka, Dadspackard, Packin31
Message 25 of 34
Anonymous
in reply to: Dadspackard

That i have expected.

i found out that is the ";" that cannot be used. the rest of the characters are ok such as ":"

Message 26 of 34
gbuckland

Hi All

I know this is a while in the making but:

I have had similar issues in the past but using only Plant P&ID so this might not be relevant but as the options for the 3D are in this command it might help.

"PLANTREFRESHACQPROPERTY" is a recent command and it has options to run for 3D or P&ID.  I also use "AUDIT" and "AUDITPROJECT" to resolve errors on occasion similar to these.  Basically this command is (as far as I am aware) relatively new but the intention is to push the data from the data manager and SQL through to all relevant components which is not always done reliably. (still isn't I might add)

In the past I had only the audit command and basically manually refreshing each item in question which is why you may or may not see the information from time to time.  (that's my view anyway)

Let me know if this helps.

From Gareth

Message 27 of 34
Anonymous
in reply to: gbuckland

Hi,

The "AUDITPROJECT" command does definitely its work. A lot of unassigned and
unused line numbers has been removed from the drawing.
The other 2 commands didn't give me much feedback throughout the Text
Window/Command Line.

Unfortunately the ISO still doesn't produce L
Message 28 of 34
gbuckland

A Note on the commands "Audit" and "PLANTREFRESHACQPROPERTY"

Good that you found some issues with the "AUDITPROJECT" but a thing to note that this command only seems to work if all drawings are saved, there will be a warning somewhere on the command line. 

"Audit" works on drawings singularly. Ie you might need to do this to every drawing in the project. (hint use a notepad and copy the command with all the switches in and this speeds up the process instead of entering all the commands manually,  saves a lot of time).

"PLANTREFRESHACQPROPERTY" you need to follow the prompts at the command line ie

PLANTREFRESHACQPROPERTY

P

3D

If that doesn't work (which it probably won't in @Anonymous's instance) then I can only think the issue is something more specific to the naming convention you have chosen to create the line numbering and then other issues with the Project setup and ISO's.  Remember that AutoCAD still appears to have legacy code issues (good and bad) that go way back and hence if the item is command specific such as /\:*?... then even if the item looks like it can be used somewhere then it may behave far from expected down the track.  I know this post probably won't help you in this particular instance @High.Tea, but its worthwhile to remember.  I only just learnt about the " " command as Alt0160 and that has helped me a bit recently were all learning.

Gareth

Message 29 of 34
tick29
in reply to: Ted_Hadden

Hi guys,

Any new updates on this issue with plant 3d? I've been searching for a solution for a couple of days...

Many thanks in advance

Message 30 of 34
Kuriakoseantony

Finally i found a way to remove the "unassigned: and do the line numbering in proper way. I got the solution as below,

Expertise Required;

Important: Copy the file named: Piping.dcf file from the project folder which you are working and keep it safe somewhere. If found any issues, replace the edited file with original copied file. 

1. Download the Sqlite Expert personal from http://www.sqliteexpert.com/download.html

Freeware available to download.

2. Open Sqlite and Open database: Go to your working directory and check for piping.dcf file after changing the file extensions as "All Files" and open piping.dcf

3. Go to PnPTagRegistry from left side and click on "Data". 

4. Scroll Down and search for the Line Number which you have issue with. Simply Delete the number (The number you facing issues) using keyboard delete button. (Or Right click on the row and "delete selected rows")

5. Search again if you facing other numbers and do the same. Do not delete other numbers if you doesn't have problems.

6. The do a refresh then search again and do same if found anything as line 4&5

7. Then go to P3dLineGroup on left side and click on "Data"

Do the below options very carefully and it will affect the complete project loose if makes any problem. 

8. Sort the Tag and Number multiple times and check the "problamatic unassigned numbering" in this list (Same numbers what you deleted from Tag Registry)

9. If you sorted the Tag; There may be chance of some line numbers missing from tag in the same row. if found something make it unique by copy from Number and paste it to column. The after sorting again, the "Tag" and "Number" both having same numbering. 

10. If you found any row without any number/letter (if any row doesn't show "null" when all others showing "null") you have to make unique by editing this DB. You cannot simply type that in that space as this DB wont taken care our direct edit of "null" command.

11. make sure all other rows showing "null"  if there is no tag numbering. 

12. If you found any deleted number in this list (The same numbers which you deleted from tag Registry). You have to delete that by editing this DB. 

13. Go to SQL on the same window and type the below query to make unique the row. 

update p3dlinegroup set tag=null, Number=null where rowid=5008. 

14. make sure the row id is same id which is presented in the "data" tab "rowid". 

(in my case the deleted number was presented here in the 5008 rowid and i wanted to delete it and make it as null. So i made this rowid here"

Do not do anything else on this SQL DB to avoid the mismatch and issues in your project file. Since this piping.dcf controls your whole project. 

15. Then execute SQL

16. The go to "Data" and check the deleted numbers presented in the rows and if yes, repeat from 13. 

17. If there is no numbers present to delete, then safely close DB and go to project and check any single line which is having that line numbering. (it still show unasigned but you are safe to go.). 

18. renumber the lines and try to generate the isometrics. You will get production iso with numbers. 

Thank you.

If you found usefull, please give kudos. 

Message 31 of 34
mitchel.cinq-mars

Plant 3D 2020 and 2021 both gave us this issue.  I think Autodesk needs to look into this urgently.  Lots of wasted hours and frustration when you must assign stuff over and over just to it to revert back to the wrong information.

Message 32 of 34

[Deleted]

George

If my post offers a solution, please click "Accept as Solution"
Message 33 of 34
dlebeaufKM9VT
in reply to: Rich.O.3d

Hi guys, I'm not sure if this solution is relevant anymore but the reason the line numbers would drop from the pipe group in the 3D model is because of the type of "Acquisition" value tied to the LineNumber Tag is incorrect. By changing the LineNumber Acquisition to "P3DLineGroup Number Tag in the project setup under Pipe Run Component would solve this issue. By default it is set to "TargetObject Line Number Tag" and that is the correct setting to use AutoCAD P&ID along with Plant 3D which links the line numbers from the P&ID into the 3D Model.

As far as SQL sever, DON'T DO IT! 

In my experiences allow an SQL sever like Vault will cause more problems when working with multiple users. This is due to the fact that a database needs to be central to the project and stored in one place for all use to access at all times, like a drive on your network so that Plant 3D can write to the database when it needs to. SQL severs like Vault will stop this from happing as the database is now located on your C drive, which can sound great for performance but will have issue reconciling the data when used on multiple machines. Most projects wont see any issues if they are small abut large projects will be a nightmare. 

I hope this helps.

dlebeaufKM9VT_0-1647967155931.png

Message 34 of 34
D_G_Ramer
in reply to: bgerig

@bgerig, Did you ever get a response to this one? We are seeing this in two of our projects and is seems to be plaguing us in 2020. You have described the exact issue we are now facing. We are using SQL Management Studio 18 and have re-built the project a handful of times, re-associated the models and drawing and inevitably this issue comes back after a few days of being in the new project.

Any input of help on a fix would be much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost