AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to convert piping to solid objects or output to STL file?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
7855 Views, 11 Replies

How to convert piping to solid objects or output to STL file?

Hi,

I am trying to convert some piping and equipment modeled in Plant 3D into a STL file. But those pipings are not solid and I couldn't export it properly into a STL file. Any help will be highy appreciated.

Thanks,

Anna

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
jabowabo
in reply to: Anonymous

Explode Plant objects until they are 3D solids.  Some items (pipe) only take one explode but others 2 or three times.

Message 3 of 12
bgerig

You can use the exporttoautocad command. this will remove the itelligence to the model but they will be autocad solids. You can then get in that export file and export or publish to an .stl file.

Brady Gerig
Shambaugh and Son
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: jabowabo

I tried 'explode', it sometimes works with the piping but not with equipment. Have you experienced issue likethat?

Anna

Message 5 of 12
G.Marocke

Hi

use exportautocad.

If you dont´t want use a command you can go into Projekt Explorer. Right Click on drawing and Export to AutoCAD.

I would prefere this Way cause in the export routine all object will export as 3D Solid.

If you use explode all object will translate in there Origin Object Types. And Equipments are Proxy Elements you will draw by a variant.

If you use Explode you get an Object consits of Surfaces and Meshes.

With Regards

G.Marocke

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: G.Marocke

Thank you all! EXPORTTOAUTOCAD works!

Anna

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: bgerig

exporttoautocad command is not working in plant 3d 2017. you need to open file and right click on file in project then select export to autocad option.

i am facing other problem. i have more then 12k objects in single file which all are not convert though single selection. i spilt model in 12 parts, .stl export is done properly but when i insert all files in navisworks it is not align with original model. even i tried to assembly in STL STUDIO result was same. Also advance steel model is nothing shown in stl format.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: bgerig

I tried EXPORTTOAUTOCAD. It converts only pipe into solid objects but equipment like vessel and some other objects remain surface body.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

for piping I split files into 6 to 7 files. import them in inventor then export to STL. for Advance steel file same thing I did.. its worked.... 🙂

Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

but I wanted to know how vessel, pump etc can be converted to solid. exporttoautocad helped me get solid piping but cannot help with vessel.

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

run exportautocad command by selecting pump or vessel , save this file .import not open this file in autodesk inventor

and export this as a .stl , i hope your problem will be solved

@Anonymous wrote:

but I wanted to know how vessel, pump etc can be converted to solid. exporttoautocad helped me get solid piping but cannot help with vessel.

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

run exportautocad command by selecting pump or vessel , save this file .import not open this file in autodesk inventor and export this as a .stl , i hope your problem will be solved

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report