AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to calculate bolt length

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
nuwul
283 Views, 5 Replies

how to calculate bolt length

Hi. 

we use ASME components but for bolts, we use DIN bolt as it shows metric bolt type in ISO. however, how to set the bolt length? Don't understand how it calculate. As shown, the Flange Thickness is 15mm and Bolt Length is 60mm, but when create in p3D, the bolt length shown is 70mm. i did not do any other setting, only changing value as in image. 

Doesn't it suppose to calculate like this:
bolt length(60) + flange thk(15) + gasket(3) + flange thk(15) =  93mm (should stated ~  95mm)

Please help how to do 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
skm-3ddesign
in reply to: nuwul

As far as I know...

L = L'<Bolt Length of Bolt Catalog> - T1<Flange Thickness of Bolt Catalog>*2 + T2<Flange Thickness of Flange Catalog> + T3<Flange Thickness of Valve Catalog>

L' and T1 are Fixed value.

T2 and T3 are variable.

Gaskets are not calculated.

Finally, the length L is corrected to the closest value in the bolt mapping table (see below).

<Spec Editor>

スクリーンショット 2024-08-15 210203.png

Shuji Sakuma - Japan

https://www.youtube.com/@AUTOCAD-PLANT-3D-FOR-JAPANESE

Message 3 of 6
skm-3ddesign

bolt mapping table

スクリーンショット 2024-08-15 221310.png

Message 4 of 6
Michiel.Valcke

I did an explanation on bolt length calculation in Plant 3D in this forum post. It is as @skm-3ddesign has already shown.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-plant-3d-forum/how-bolt-length-din-is-calculated/m-p/12833826...

Message 5 of 6
skm-3ddesign

I thought it was still unsolved.
Thank you for letting me know.

Message 6 of 6
Michiel.Valcke

@nuwul I just noticed that you posted both posts. I'm unsure if this is also answered by the replies in the other post or if there is something else that is still unclear.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report