AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Piping & Equipment Modelling in point cloud data using Plant 3D.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
bferrao
1564 Views, 6 Replies

3D Piping & Equipment Modelling in point cloud data using Plant 3D.

Hello,

This query is in regard for Piping & Equipment Modelling to be done using point cloud data.

1. Detail procedure in customizing the point cloud data (*.rcp & *.rcs) in Plant 3D.

2. Configuring the supplied Piping Spec/Catalog inside Plant 3D.

3. How to match the pipe spool & pipe fittings with point cloud data.

4. If the point cloud data shows deviated pipes like the ones that are not horizontally straight, how to model such pipes in Plant 3D (As-Built) ?

5. Generating ISO drawings and settings required for its customization.

Thanks in advance!

Regards

Beldwin

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Alex.Pena
in reply to: bferrao

Hi Bferrao, 

Congratulations on your first post, and welcome to the forums!

I have attached a couple links below that will help you get started, with your request. Seeing how you're asking for an entire workflow on how to complete this type of project, the best I can do is supply some credible resources. As for getting more familiar with the product, we always recommend our users to look through the product help, tutorials found on on the Autodesk Knowledge Network, and any of the available classes from Autodesk University. 

About Working With Point Clouds 

Autodesk University Course 

Alex Pena
Outcome Engineering
Link Name | Link Name | Link Name | Link Name
Message 3 of 7
dgorsman

Models typically represent an idealized situation, rather than real-world.  We slope lines where they are intended to be sloped, but otherwise draw them straight and true in a best-fit position.  Same thing with equipment and structure.

Matching fittings, valves, pipe, etc. to a point cloud is done using pictures, existing documentation, and experience.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 7
bferrao
in reply to: Alex.Pena

Thanks for your reply,

I had gone through the video tutorials but could get any specific one that addresses my issue, if you can kindly share the tutorial that is an answer to my issues.

Regards

Beldwin

Message 5 of 7
bferrao
in reply to: dgorsman

So simply saying, its not possible to model pipes as seen in cloud data and have to be modeled straight (horizontal&vertical) as how its done in design.

Thanks

Beldwin

Message 6 of 7
eadkins73

No that's not what he is saying. You can model items sloped but typically lines are only sloped where that is truly the design intent. For the most part pipefitters run pipes plumb and square and over time and as repairs are made things become less so. When you are as-builting a facility you have to do your best to fit everything in based on the real world data. As mentioned, this can only be done using the knowledge gained though experience and the only way to get experience is to do the as-built.
Ed Adkins
EA2 Engineering
www.ea2eng.com
Message 7 of 7
dgorsman
in reply to: eadkins73

Right.  One of the benefits of laser scanning is that it can be done in place without shutting down the facility.  So there may be some twists and bends due to thermal expansion which you don't want to model.  There may be field routed pipe that is "off" in order to get around something else which should be modeled that way.  Then you get to things like field-routed tubing, handrails, and mystery conduit.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost