AutoCAD on mobile Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD on mobile Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD on mobile topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative CAD app with GPS function

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
3526 Views, 9 Replies

Alternative CAD app with GPS function

I have just discovered that Autocad have screwed up a huge part of my business by removing GPS function from the mobile App. I only use it seasonally when on site so I've only just discovered they've removed it. 

I now have a £3000 GPS receiver that might as well be a paperweight unless I can find an alternative that will allow me to use live GPS position on a DWG 

Has anybody managed to find anything?  Ideally for Apple / iOS 

I cannot understand how they could possibly think its a good idea to remove functionality from the app like this. 

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Reach out to your GPS device vendor for recommendations: it appears the iOS/Android market is being abandoned with the abundance of WindowsOS-based tablets on the market that, well, do so much more.

Message 3 of 10
benvHCTLA

We are in a similar boat, invested in a bunch of field tablets for construction monitoring etc.  and now these are useless... hoping an alternative will surface..

we shouldn't be surprised however, as Autodesk is notorious for going backwards. 

Message 4 of 10
wopepro

The answers here are actually very disappointing, people asking for solutions or help and there is not a single useful reply. I do have the same problem, figured out, the GPS function has been removed from the mobile app just from one version to the next, without any notice or warning. I need to measure on site using ideally a small mobile device. Therefore our company invested in a really expensive GNSS rover with an accuracy of sub-centimeter, worth >€10k, linked to my iPhone. It worked perfectly fine until Autodesk removed this function. All of my mails written to support or developers have not even been answered. This is however really a very disappointing way to treat customers who have payed a noticeable amount of money to use these products.

Although I was looking for alternative products, I havent found a good solution yet.

Message 5 of 10
benvHCTLA
in reply to: wopepro

We are Based in NZ, our CAD subscription Provider CADPro has informed us they have been in touch with Autodesk and expressed their concerns. So hopefully something will come of that.

Meanwhile I have found a product Stonex-s70g-gnss-rtk

Tablet
https://triginstruments.co.nz/shop/stonex-s70g-gnss-rtk-gps-receiver-tablet.html

software
https://www.stonex.it/project/cube-a/

demo of the product

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UAywVxzv5ckiX4yr9Ji7G2Rrp1nKdjag/view?usp=sharing

the price for us in NZ is about $7.5k per unit.. so we are still contemplating.

Good luck.

Message 6 of 10
hallo75SQV

Does anyone have updates on this?

I was looking forward to use a small mobile-sized device like iPhone or Android phone along with an external GPS/GLONASS receiver device to display my current position in CAD drawings on site.

Apparently, this is something that has been possible with the AutoCad app back in the days, but not anymore.

Does anyone have recommendations for third party DWG viewer apps (regardless of operating system) that do this?

Thanks!

Message 7 of 10
pendean
in reply to: hallo75SQV

@ hallo75SQV Post right above yours is a good place to start.
Message 8 of 10
aas3GFRY

Any news here? At the moment, for site visits, we're meticulously comparing contour lines from our maps with what we see around us, and it is extremely inefficient. Expensive additional equipment is not within our company budget, as we are able to walk around and compare rock walls or ponds with our maps, but it is very inaccurate and time consuming while walking around with clients.

Message 9 of 10
pendean
in reply to: aas3GFRY

@aas3GFRY wrote:

Any news here? At the moment, for site visits, we're meticulously comparing contour lines from our maps with what we see around us, and it is extremely inefficient. Expensive additional equipment is not within our company budget, as we are able to walk around and compare rock walls or ponds with our maps, but it is very inaccurate and time consuming while walking around with clients.

Nothing has changed.

Message 10 of 10
pichikhoLF7HL

One alternative you might consider is the app "iCMTGIS PRO," which offers GPS functionality and supports DWG files on iOS devices. It could be worth giving it a try to see if it meets your needs. It's frustrating when essential features are removed without warning or explanation, but exploring alternatives might help mitigate the impact on your business.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report