AutoCAD on mobile Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD on mobile Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD on mobile topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what device is recommended for AutoCad mobile?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
3006 Views, 7 Replies

what device is recommended for AutoCad mobile?

hi, 

I want to by a new tablet to use for autocad mobile, what will be the best one to by?

i'm planning to use it with a laser measure devise,

Thanks   

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
jamesclementcook
in reply to: Anonymous

wow, Did nobody answer this? I want to know too. I'll post here when I find out. Specifically I am looking for an alternative to an expensive iPad.

Message 3 of 8
pendean
in reply to: jamesclementcook

Kind of like asking what's the best car to buy... .

What can you afford? are you most comfortable in iOS or Android OS today? Are you good with your finger or do you think you need a pen? Do you want to limit yourself to only WiFi or do you think you need to have 4G service all the time on it?
If you want to incorporate DISTO devices, have you looked to see if they have specific requirements yet?

Tablets are not like PCs, you buy a tablet for the features you want, since current store apps run on current shipping devices with little to no issues at all (unless customer reviews in those app stores tell you otherwise).
Message 4 of 8
jamesclementcook
in reply to: pendean

Thanks for your response. I understand it, but, to me, its more like asking
if I need a gas or diesel powered engine.​
​As vast and rich as the Autodesk​ online environment is, I find it
difficult to learn about minimum hardware requirements on the tablets for
the mobile app (processing speeds, connectivity, yes seems a smart pen is
needed, etc.).

I see plenty of work-arounds from people with older systems etc., but
tablets are tricky- do I need a 2-in-1 to work offline?
Even your answer wont hit me in the right direction, no offense intended. I
just don't want to spend $400 to find that I was dreaming and needed to
spend $1000.

Thanks again, I feel sure that I'm missing something obvious, but I'm
scrounging info off the A-Desk site, which is not preferrable.

I can say Windows or Android, and minimum 10" pad, but that's all I can
figure. been doing AutoCad since 2002, now looking to walk into the future
(i.e., the present, haha).

James

Message 5 of 8
pendean

AutoCADMobile is not AutoCAD (nor is it a replacement) like you've used since 2002: are you sure this is what you actually want to use? A $50/yr mobile app is not a replacement (or even remotely similar ) to a $1500/yr desktop PC software package.

Try a web research on what the recommended tablets out there for this year 2018 and read up: avoid articles written/posted before 2018.

Focus on keywords like "for business use" and "power user": any one of those will be just fine for AutoCADMobile. Read about the use of fingers vs pens too.

You'll be only looking at iOS and Android tablets. And no one here is going to tell you what to buy, no one here is Autodesk and no one wants to deal with any issues you might stumble upon later with their recommendation.
Message 6 of 8
jamesclementcook

I understand that it is an additional tool, not a replacement. Autodesk
should have best minimum requirements to operate the app, especially with a
smart pen. I'll do more research, thanks.
Message 7 of 8
pendean

Mobile Apps requirements are not like PC software requirements: hardware is irrelevant except for newest hardware is best. Plus Mobile software manufacturers don't do "it has to have this processor and this screen res and this video" either. All you might get out of any of them is the $1000+ device is better than the $250 device, that's all.

Enjoy your weekend.

Message 8 of 8
LT.Rusty

I will say that I started off using AutoCAD mobile on a 6th gen iPad with the Apple Pencil.

It only took about 3 days with a rather large drawing (330 layers) before I went back to Best Buy and exchanged the iPad for a 12.9" iPad Pro instead, and even that can take a solid couple of minutes to load that file. Of course there are other benefits, too, mostly related to the difference in screen size and the resulting ability to actually see what's going on in a bigger area.

Rusty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost