Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Layer Key Styles

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1549 Views, 5 Replies

Using Layer Key Styles

Need some direction in this area.

I am aware that there are a great number of Layer Key Styles defined in the style manager, but am not sure how to use them.

I design many types of hydronic systems.

Let's say I want to draw supply and return lines to a hydronic snow melt system.

There are two pre-defined Layer Key Styles in the AECB Imperial template:

M-SY-PIPE-SNOW_ICE_MELTING_SYSTEM_SUPPLY

and

M-SY-PIPE-SNOW_ICE_MELTING_SYSTEM_RETURN

How do I draw a line (pipe run) and assign it to that system / layer / style?

When I draw a pipe run and call up its properties there are a number of system styles but cannot find that one.

Thanks in advance

Wethead

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Keith.Brown
in reply to: Anonymous

Out of the box, there are no systems defined for snow melt systems in the standard template.  If you go to manage->style manager->pipe objects->pipe system styles you can copy an existing style and rename it to an appropriate system name for snow melt such as Snow Melt Supply.  Switch to the design tab in the right pane and you should see a drop down box for layer key styles.  This is where you would select the M-SY-PIPE-SNOW_ICE_MELTING_SYSTEM_SUPPLY layer key style.  OOB there are a lot more layer key styles defined than what there are system definitions.  Just create system definitions as you need them.  Alternatively, you can open the system defintion style drawing found at C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\MEP 2011\enu\Styles\Imperial.  You might have to enable the show hidden files and folders option in windows to see this folder tree.  If you open this drawing and once again go to the system defintions inside the style manager you will find numerous definitions not found in the standard template.  You can just copy the definitions between open drawings inside the style manager. 

Hope this helps.  Good Luck.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Keith.Brown

Thanks so much.

I think that very effectively answers my question.

When I make changes in style manager, that change is effective in that drawing only, right?

If I want those new system definitions available every time, do I need to add to style manager in my working template?

Message 4 of 6
Keith.Brown

Correct, any changes made in the style manager are only effective for the drawing that is active in the Style Manager.  You can open drawings in the style manager that are not actively open inside of Autocad MEP.

If you want specific styles to always be in a new drawing then you should copy those styles into your template drawing.  Then those styles will always be present.  There are alot of styles available this way if you browse the dwgs in the style folder mentioned above.  I might also add that some of the content in the style dwgs are also available through the content browser.  You can find the content browser on the home tab of the ribbon under tools.  It is possible to add system definitions to the content browser.  I would suggest looking in the help file or if you are a subscription member there is an incredible amount of information located at Autodesk University Online.  Classes go back several years with pdfs, mp3's, screencasts, and power point presentations of most classes.  Its a gold mine of information that if you take advantage of will increase your knowledge of autocad MEP exponentially.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Keith.Brown

Thanks Again

I have spent a good deal of time viewing AU online classes and agree that it is an incredible resource.

I am going to post another message on another subject with a new heading.  I have a feeling you will know the answer to that one too.

You seem to be a very knowledgable individual.  Have you got any good marriage or investment advice...?  LOL    

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

"If you want specific styles to always be in a new drawing then you should copy those styles into your template drawing.  Then those styles will always be present..."

The alternative to this if you want a nice, clean template not full of potentially redundant styles (though they can be purged later, admittedly. But then they could need adding again later for any mods.) is to set your new pipes or other MEP object as a tool in the tool palette. In the properties of the new tool you can tell it the location of a drawing to pull the styles from.

That way, you can have separate drawings with architectural styles, one with steel, one with pipes, etc. Or just have them all in one, obviously. When you use the new tool it will add the new style to the current drawing automatically so then only the styles you use will be present. 

It depends how you work and what you work with, but I find it more manageable this way since we use all the disciplines.

To summarise: you can have a drawing with your pipe routing preferences and systems set up. You can set up a tool in the tool palette for your pipe. In the properties of that new tool, tell it the location of the drawing with your systems and routing preferences and choose which it should use. Using the tool will then add the appropriate systems/styles/preferences to the current drawing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report