Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MV-Part intelligence

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
steve_matthews
864 Views, 16 Replies

MV-Part intelligence

I created an MV-Part of a valve.  There are multiple sizes of this valve.  I want the size of the valve to be automatically changed when I place it onto a pipe. for example I have a 3/4" pipe and there is a 3/4" size of the valve in the parts pull down.  But i need to select the exact size each time.  I want it to automatically insert the correct size.  

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Hi,

It is possible, but with parametrics MVPART, not based on blocks.

Christophe Legrand
Message 3 of 17

I believe this is an incorrect statement. Many out of the box valves are block based and they choose the correct size automatically. The trick is to just have multiple sizes in the same part.
Message 4 of 17

Hi Keith,

I made many mvparts based on block.

But i never had an automatic scaling according the pipe or the duct where i add my mvpart.

I can add my mvpart and continue in his size, but never on the other side.

Perhaps i forget something, in this case i would like to know how to create a "automatic sizing" mvpart based on bloc.

Thanks. 

Christophe Legrand
Message 5 of 17

Just installed MEP 2018 as I did not have another version installed but positive it worked this way in previous versions.

Draw a 2" welded line.  Go to MvPartAdd and choose Ball Valves US Imperial valve.  (Note this is a block based valve with multiple sizes in the same file).  Or choose a similar part that is block based with multiple sizes in same part.

Select the 10" Flanged Ball Valve from the Part Size Name drop down.

Then select the pipe, the ball valve will automatically change size to accomodate the size of the pipe.

Message 6 of 17

Hi,

Just check my Ball valve and it's OK.

But i don't this comportement with my mvpart.

How to do this ?

Christophe Legrand
Message 7 of 17

@christophe.legrand wrote:

Hi,

Just check my Ball valve and it's OK.

But i don't this comportement with my mvpart.

How to do this ?

Hi Christophe,

Without seeing your MvPart I cannot say.  Would you mind sharing your part with me so I can take a look at it.  You can share via a private message or even email if you would like to keep your part out of a public forum.

I do not believe that their is an external setting that affects this but I am not 100% certain about that.

Message 8 of 17

Hi,

Please find some MVPART that i do with AMEP 2014 i think.

But it's the same thing with recent.

Christophe Legrand
Message 9 of 17

I looked at your part but I was unable to open it in content builder for some reason.  It was giving me permission errors even though i had full read/write and had unblocked the files.  So I tried to add it to a pipe in a similar manner to my video above and could not get it to work. In other words, it had the behavior that you described.

So I dug into the xml file and looked at it and one suggestion that I would make is that your connection port nominal diameters are table entries.  In the ball valve that I used in the video above, they are actually a calculation that points back to a specific table entry.  Since I cannot open your part in content builder and i don't really have the time to make a new one to test, I would ask you to make this change and see if it works.  My gut feeling is that this is the issue.  It is best practices from Autodesk to do this anyway.  I read this somewhere and unfortunately do not have the link anymore.

Give it a try and let me know how it goes!

** Edited for spelling and incorrect terminology

Message 10 of 17
Keith.Brown
in reply to: Keith.Brown

Were you able to sort this one out?

Message 11 of 17

I try but it's not OK.

I don't know where is the problem exactly.

Christophe Legrand
Message 12 of 17

Hi,

If there is a tuto to show me how to have adaptative MVPART based on block, i will be very happy Smiley Happy

Thanks in advance.

Christophe Legrand
Message 13 of 17

For the past 1week I have been begging on where to download AutoCAD mep electrical tutorial in dwg format, but nobody showed interest on me... Seriously that's not good. .is like you all are Racist.... Am really dissapointed in this Forum
Message 14 of 17

@anigbogucollins wrote:
For the past 1week I have been begging on where to download AutoCAD mep electrical tutorial in dwg format, but nobody showed interest on me... Seriously that's not good. .is like you all are Racist.... Am really dissapointed in this Forum

Autodesk does not create tutorials anymore.  The last time that they did so was for AutoCAD MEP 2010.  If you google for them you can find them on Scribed but you need an account to download them and they are only partially relevant because of their age.

Your best bet is to search Youtube for free videos or to get a subscription to Lynda.com or get a subscription to Cadlearning.com.  

As far as tutorials in dwg format, that does not make much sense.  The tutorial will either be in a document or in a video format and they MIGHT come with example files that are in dwg format.  In case you are trying to say that you want AutoCAD MEP tutorials and not Revit MEP tutorials that also does not make much sense as this is an AutoCAD MEP forum and as such would only deal with AutoCAD MEP.

Below are some links that might get you started.

YouTube AutoCAD MEP Electrical Videos

http://blog.cadlearning.com/courses/autocad-mep-training-tutorials/

Lynda.Com AutoCAD MEP

Message 15 of 17

Thanks for your concern, I mean those dwg electrical sample drawings that
can guide me in AutoCAD mep ,those that I can access through Construct in
the project manager .thanks
Message 16 of 17

Message 17 of 17

@anigbogucollins wrote:

It took me awhile but I finally found some files with electrical samples in them.  They are old and from 2009 but they will work.  Please check your messages as I sent you a private link.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost