Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limits in Property Set Definition Functions

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
jtm2020hyo
542 Views, 2 Replies

Limits in Property Set Definition Functions

1 Is there a limit on the number of characters that can be used in the functions?

2 If yes to 1, How much is the maximum character limit in the functions?

3 If not to 1, Are there any limits on nested functions?

4 If yes to 3, What are the limits on nested functions?

5 If not to 3, What problems did you found with VBScript?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Keith.Brown
in reply to: jtm2020hyo

I do not believe that there is a limit.  But what you need to understand is that these vbscripts are placed on every item that applies in your drawing.  So if you are doing a duct drawing and the property set applies to ducts, duct fittings, and custom ducts, then every single one of them will have this script attached to it.  This will add up and will balloon the size of your drawings significantly.

You are really better off learning a programming language and do all of your calculations externally to property sets.  Property sets are a nice way to share information with external programs such as Navisworks as the format is universal, but for a large storage medium they are not good.

My favorite trick is to serialize data to a JSON file and then compress the file and store it on the object itself similar to property sets but now the size is greatly reduced.  This of course means that you will need to learn a programming language like c#, vb.net, or even LISP.  The road is long and bumpy but the pay off is very nice.

Message 3 of 3
jtm2020hyo
in reply to: Keith.Brown

sounds very very very interesting, I am a student and I am open to learning more and more...

Could you share a reference link or share a sample?

Is it possible to export properties set definitions values to Excel and import it back? if yes, share a reference link if possible please.

PD: every post you make is very interesting to read, thanks for helping and much respect for you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost