cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Develop FDO to make it more useful for GIS integration

Develop FDO to make it more useful for GIS integration

Improved integration with feature data storage using FDO.

We need better and more seamless CAD/GIS integration, and FDO should bridge that gap much better than it currently does.
There should be a way of mapping Autocad objects to FDO database columns so that virtually everything related to the CAD object is dynamically stored in the database in such a way that the original object can easily be retrieved from GIS back into Autocad without loss of data or visual representation.

Example: I want to store all of my fire hydrants in a corporate GIS database yet still have them available in Autocad with standard block symbology.

Currently I have a few choices: 1. Maintain two disparate datasets, one in CAD and one in GIS; 2. Use third party software (eg. Safe FME) to translate my CAD blocks to GIS; 3. Connect my GIS database using FDO, create a new hydrant feature, then manually enter whatever attributes I want to associate with the hydrant.
What I envision. Use GIS database as primary data storage, attach GIS via FDO, insert fire hydrant block in drawing as standard CAD block symbol, create new FDO feature object from block and have things like BLOCK NAME, ROTATION, LAYER, ATTRIBUTE VALUE(S) etc, automatically read from the drawing and fed into my FDO database with not much more than the click of a button. Then when the hydrants are retrieved from GIS they come back into Autocad as exactly the same fire hydrant block object they were created as in the first place.

This concept should not be limited simply to Autocad Blocks, but needs to also work with lines, polylines, polygons, and especially needs to include Object Data attached to any of the objects.

Benefits: A single authoritative data store, equally available to both GIS and CAD users. Simplified and more accurate workflow. True CAD/GIS integration allowing the strengths of both platforms to be fully harnessed.

2 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great idea! The attached Object Data is a must!

I'd like to see the integration go even further with Civil 3D objects.

gluckett
Collaborator

Yes, this was completely solved with OSE (Oracle Spatial Extension) since all the Blocks/Text/Layers/Object Data could be stored in Oracle...

this integration could be copied to FDO to make it awesome.   

I think your post is critical!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report