AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VP Freeze for Display Manager items

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
rckohler
1453 Views, 11 Replies

VP Freeze for Display Manager items

I created a drawing with multiple layout tabs, so as to create different maps. My display manager consists of data connections & layers added from the Layer Properties Manager. When I activate a viewport from the layout, I want to freeze some of the Data Connection items (like shp files). How can I freeze these items within the active viewport only?

Thanks,

Robyn

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: rckohler

Hi,

what version of Map3D do you have?

IMHO you need Map3D 2013 to be able to display different map's per viewport.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 12
rckohler
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I'm using 2013.

Message 4 of 12
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

then you can create mulitple maps (within the dialog _MAPWSPACE) having different stylization or on/off settings of datasources.

And when you have created a viewport you can use command _MAPASSOCVPWITHMAP to assign a map-config to a viewport. If you haven't disabled ribbons you just have to change to the paperspace of a layout to get the context-sensitive-ribbon for layout-tools ==> and there are the icons for assigning maps/legends/scalebars to viewports.

Also look to some videos "what' new in Map3D 2013"

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 12
rckohler

I created a new display map in model space, then used the suggested command 'MAPASSOCVPWITHMAP' to update my viewport accordingly. This seems to have worked just fine. Now I need to adjust to the thought process of Map 3D versus AutoCAD. I was very comfortable using 'VP FREEZE' in AutoCAD. So i'm basically doing the same thing in Map 3D, just in model space, verses in the layout...

I think I understand that now, please correct me if I've misunderstood, or am going in the wrong direction.

Thanks,

Robyn

Message 6 of 12
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

you are at the correct way! For all FDO-objects (connected gis-datasources) you have to use the different map-settings to have the aibility for different viewport-visualisation/stylization.

For the plain AutoCAD geometry like mpolygons, polylines, lines, blocks, etc you can use either the viewport-depending freeze or you can also use the map-functionality for stylize these objects (as long as they are selectable by rules). So in this case you can use two different ways to work.

HTH, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 12
rckohler

Yes, I understand now. Thanks again Alfred!

Message 8 of 12
tjmapper

Seems like it would have been easier just to use this:

layer.png

Message 9 of 12
rckohler

Yes, it sure would. Thanks!

Message 10 of 12
rckohler
in reply to: tjmapper

The Layer Visibility isn't selectable under the Layout Tools tab. It displays grayed out, as your image clip indicates. How is this activated?

Message 11 of 12
tjmapper

You have to select a Display Map ( The command directly to the left of Layer Visibility). Then select the view port to freeze the feature layers.

Message 12 of 12
rckohler

Jumping ahead of myself. I figured out that the map must be assigned to the viewport before using this tool. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction though.

I appreciate it!

-Robyn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost