AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps to Import a GIS file

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
Anonymous
3911 Views, 18 Replies

Steps to Import a GIS file

I m trying to create a CAD file with Map 3D. I would like to import a GIS file from ArcGIS. What are the steps, in order, to create a GIS file/DWG that keeps all the Data and coords. So, I can share the DWG with others. The coord info is very import to this project.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
ChicagoLooper
in reply to: Anonymous

First things first. You will need to assign a coordinate system (projection) to modelspace. To do that, you’ll need to disclose some information about your site’s location. 

The shapefile consists of a minimum of four parts: shp, dbf, shx and prj. Open the prj with Notepad then take a screenshot. Upload that screenshot. Or you may upload the prj file itself. 

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

I am able to start the New dwg, set the coord for the map. When I section out a parcel(street) I'm not sure the next steps. Do I have to create Object Data fist, do I have to create Link Templet? A step by step list could help. If I don't know the subject I can research it in the text. Plus it will let me know if I have program set up issues. Example, I found out my web browser was now useful, I need to get permission to open MS Access Database from IT. Things that stop me from working. I am trying to import GIS data, create a DWG that is linked to the data, then create object with data to communicate with AutoCAD, Civil, and GIS programs. Once I have successfully exported the Map 3d, map/dwg to CAD. Then I can create the workable DWG to be use by our maintenance people. 

Message 4 of 19
braudpat

Hello

1) Have you data coming from ESRI : SHP, SHP, DBF, PRJ, etc files ?

2) Have you data coming from Database : MS-Access for example linked to the SHPs files ?

3) To do something, you will need an ACAD MAP (or ACAD CIVIL), have you it for all future users ??

The Health (Stay Safe, Stay Home, Stay Live), Bye, Patrice (The Retired Old French EE Froggy)

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 5 of 19
ChicagoLooper

You are getting too far ahead of yourself, way, way too far ahead.

What do you want to do? (Pick either 1 or 2 below):

1. You want to bring in a shapefile(s) into modelspace then work directly with the shapefiles. The work to be performed on the shapefile includes, but is not limited to, changing colors, line weights and line types. Create new hatch. Deleting existing hatch. Creating lables from the shapefile's builit-in database. Performing queries.
  2. You want to 'import' the shapefile so they will be converted from ESRI feature data objects to AutoCad entities such as Acad plain vanilla points, Acad plain vanilla lines or Acad plain vanilla polygons. Importing will effectively put you and your drawing in an AutoCad drawing environment.

At this point you do NOT need to mention what you will do with your  IT dept. You do not need to mention what you will do with others will do with your drawing.

You nned to determine your workflow first and your workflow will depend on whether you choose 1 or 2 above. At

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous

Lets start with #2. How do I choose the area, then save the shapefiles to my computer. 

Message 7 of 19
ChicagoLooper

Follow the steps below. Don't delete any step and, no matter how compelled you fell you must, do no combine them with other steps.

1. Assgin an appropriate coordinate system that's applicable to the area you wish to draw. (Don't guess--it's critical you assign an APPROPRIATE coordinate system to your drawing. Draw a rectangle in modelspace to 'capture' your area. Make this rectangle a little bigger than the area your viewport will display. The reason you draw this rectangle is to limit the data you bring into modelspace (actually the correct term is IMPORT, not bring in). If you don't draw a rectangle, and I'm not saying you should, then you'll bring in more data than you need. Why bring in data for an entire city when you only need 4 square blocks?
  2. Go to Insert Tab=>Import Panel=>Map Import icon=>change Files of Type to ESRI shapefile (.shp)=>Browse to then select your shapefile=>OK. The MapImport window will appear. Make your settings as shown in image-1.
  3. After import is complete, you may go to the Layers Properties Manager to change the line work's layer color, line weight, line type and layer name.
  4. The verify your newly created Object Data has been created, click a single object=>scroll to bottom of Properties Palette and verify Object Data (abbreivaited OD) is displayed for the object. You may repeat and click another object to view that object's OD.

Image-1.Image-1.

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous

Thanks, So this I mostly understand. All the tutorials get their information from files that have been downloaded to their C: drive. I need to get these files downloaded. How? Where? At this time I can only seem to connect to ArcGIS. I need a Aerial Map, high res if possible. My drag drop doesn't work either. 

Message 9 of 19
ChicagoLooper

If you say, 'I mostly understand' and it  doesn't work, then you're not doing correctly or you haven't fully explained what you're situation is and what you're trying to achieve.

Q: What do you currently have? Shapefile? Geodatabase? SDF? A 'connection' or a link to data files? I need this type of data or this type of image so where should I go to get them?

A: ?? 

Q: Where are your GIS file? On your firm's server? Online? On the internet? On a cloud? I don't know? I don't have any files so where do I get them?

A: ??

You don't need to mention tutorials. You do need to disclose what type of data your have. Mentioning tutorials implies you are combining a tutorial workflow with instructions provided in this thread. The forum doesn't know what the tutorial instructions contain nor what you have to begin with so you'll need to disregard those instructions for now. Combining tutorial insturctions with the info provided in this thread may not be in your best interest because they might conflict and negate any productivity gains.

Please answer the questions above so an accurate determination can be made about your setup  without guessing. Your success depends on your willingness to disclose your current GIS data (if youreally have any data at all)  along with your desired end result will determine how a suitable workflow can be formulated. 

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 10 of 19
Anonymous

Basic understanding of my situation.  Five weeks ago put on this project. I have never used Map 3D. I m a CAD/Modeler. I have been trying to teach myself with text, tutorials and videos. 

Ok, So, I can complete the steps up to Assign The Geo Coords. 

So far these steps work:  1. Open Map 3D

2. Strat New DWG

3. Assign Coords  --> Map Setup --> Coord. System 

*When I am in the "Data Connect by Provider" menu.....I get lost. I don't fully understand the steps. 

I am able to connect to ArcGIS. The image is "Map Road" style. I need a good resolution Aerial.  I can't get the image to save to the DWG. 

I have whatever is basic set up for AutoCAD Map 3D.  Yes, Where should I go to get the Shapefiles, SDF, and Geodatabase.

I don't have GIS files saved. That part of the problem. How do I find what I need resolutions and style. I have to use the internet. 

Goals:  I need to Locate Streets in my city. On these streets the city has rain gardens. In the gardens I will add Object Data to Drains, Pipes and their connection to the storm system. Using Geo coords so maintenance personnel can locate and maintain.  

Message 11 of 19
ChicagoLooper

OK, understood. You have provided vital information to get the wheels rolling.

Before we begin, it is vital to verify whether your drawing is accurately georeferenced. If you learn one thing today, let it be this:

Just because you 'assign' a coordinate system to modelspace doesn't necessarily mean your dwg file is georeferenced against world coordinates.

To begin, you must determine whether the coordinate system you have assigned is appropriate to your map area AND determine whether it is georeferenced against the equator & north pole. The reason you want it georef'd against the equator & north pole is because others, such as maintenance personnel, might use your hand drawn objects in their AutoCad files as external references or as cut-and-paste objects. They might even use your drawn objects in GIS-essy types of programs such as ArcGIS, Arc Pro, QGIS, Global Mapper, etc, etc. If both your files and their files are georef'd against world coordinates then everything lines up. If your coordinate system is assigned but NOT accurately georef'd against the equator/north pole, then it's on you, not them, when your objects don't line up correctly with theirs.

To determine whether your CS is accurate, turn on Bing Hybrid. Go to Geolocation Tab=>Online Map Panel=>change Map Off to Bing Hybrid. (If Bing Hybrid doesn't appear in modelspace, you may have issues, serious issues.) Pan and zoom-in to your area (or 'an area') you know in your city then draw a circle the approximate size of four city blocks. Select the circle then take a screen shot of modelspace (make sure the entire circle can be seen) and upload the captured image to the forum. Name the coordinate system you have assigned so the forum can duplicate your map's drawing environment. It is also important to include the properties palette in your screenshot so the coordinates of the selected circle can be easily read. This uploaded image, along with your assigned Coordsys, will help to determine the geospatial accuracy of your drawing. 

If it is georefenced accurately then you are making excellent progress with your drawing using Map3D. On the other hand, if your drawing is not georeferced correctly, then an easy step-by-step workflow will be given to make the correction.

Note:

Learning Map3D is not a one-and-done deal, it's a process (sometimes lengthy, sometimes not) and you are getting that process in a few (or more than a few) forum posts at no cost to you. The purpose of this forum, and all forums for that matter, is to share the knowlege. Your willingness to share your uploaded images will not only ascertain the accuracy of your assigned coordsys, but it will also provide some info on where to find and download the free data you need. Without knowing your desired area of interest, it will be too difficult, maybe even impossible, to offer suggestions where you can acquire your data. Make no mistake, if the forum doesn't know your area it might derail this post and your project might come to a screeching halt.  

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 12 of 19
Pointdump

Hi Ron,
"I can't get the image to save to the DWG."
Nothing in "Data Connect" will save to drawing. It's a "live" connection. The upside is that your drawing is lighter and faster.
"I need to Locate Streets in my city."
New York has an immense amount of freely available GIS data--Aerials, Shapefiles, Elevation Data...
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 13 of 19
Pointdump

Ron,
"I need to Locate Streets in my city. On these streets the city has rain gardens. In the gardens I will add Object Data to Drains, Pipes and their connection to the storm system. Using Geo coords so maintenance personnel can locate and maintain."
Attached, please find a shapefile of Buffalo streets and an outline of the city. You will most likely also be able to find a shapefile of the storm drain system. That will put you on track.
Don't hesitate to post further questions if you have sticking points.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: Pointdump

I appreciate the support. Thanks for the files. Dave 

Message 15 of 19
ChicagoLooper

@Pointdump wrote:

<<Nothing in "Data Connect" will save to drawing. It's a "live" connection.>> 

There are ways to capture those "live" connections you allude to. You can grab imagery from ArcGIS for AutoCAD from either modelspace or from a layout tab.

Image-1. From modelspace.Image-1. From modelspace.

Image-2. From layout tab.Image-2. From layout tab.

The issue with capturing those live streamed images is resolution, they're not always the best, most clear images. Sure, no doubt you can capture images, but just because you can doesn't mean you should.

To OP: You should search 'other' sources for imagery. Mr @Pointdump has already offered suggestions on where to look. The images don't necessarily have to pinpoint the rain garden locations, it just needs to be an updated, clear, high resolution aerial photography type map. You can use hand drawn arrows to point out the rain gardens.

Also, when you download georeferenced images and insert them, they should plop down in the correct 'spot' in modelspace. If they don't, for example they plop down in the middle of the Atlantic instead of on dry land, then you have not assigned your coordinate system correctly and others, such as maintenance personnel, won't know where the gardens are actually located.

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous

Dave,

Where? and How did you find and download this files. The Buffalo Street files.

Message 17 of 19
Pointdump

Ron,
Whenever I do a search for GIS Data I start at the City Level. City of Buffalo didn't have much. Nor did Erie County. But >>>NY State<<< has lots, so I just clipped out Buffalo Streets from Statewide.
To get Buffalo Storm Drains you'll probably have to email a request to the local entity in charge of that. Try both Buffalo and Erie County.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 18 of 19
ChicagoLooper

Do a search using your favorite search engine. Use 'key' words/phrases such as

Open Data (If you are smart, you will include the term 'open data' because you want to donwload free shapefiles. You want shapefiles that are 'open source' and free so include the term open data).

city, state (specfiy your location)

streets (type of data you want such as streets, parcels, school districts, voting precincts, etc.

rain garden (type of data)

1000.jpg

If it  doesn't work out, try, try again, using different key words. And again. Trial and error can be a workable workflow.

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 19 of 19
Pointdump

Ron,
OK, I just now found that you can download Streets from >>>Here<<<. Click on "Export" and select Shapefile.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report