AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple way to place Lat/Lon points on a map

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
FJankovsky
8642 Views, 15 Replies

Simple way to place Lat/Lon points on a map

Hello all,

I am constantly sent location data for one or two points in Lat/Lon format.  I resort to using Google Earth to enter the points into the search box to see just where the point is located.  I would like to be bale to avoid this step if there is a simple way to do this in Map.  I know about Maptracks but don't really see how that is helpful, and when I use Geolocation>Tools>Mark Position>Lat-Long  the marker is placed but is not easy to find.  Any simple solutions?  I'm not interested in importing one or two points via csv and I want to be able to cut and paste the coordinates into Map.

fjankovsky_0-1641398648746.png

Thanks,

Frank

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
ChicagoLooper
in reply to: FJankovsky

Based on the picture in your opening post, you're off to a good start. An easy way to input Lat/Long coordinates into your drawing can be achieved by using a GEOMARKER. To easily place a geomarker, do this:

1. If you haven't assigned a coordinate system to your drawing, assig one now. Don't skip step. If you do, won't be able to enter your Lat/Long coordinates.
  2. Enter LATLONGFORMAT on command line>> 0 (zero)>>ENTER KEY. [0=Decimal Degrees, 1=DMS, aka degrees-minutes-second.]  
  3. On the Ribbon, go to Geolocation Tab>>Tools Panel>>Mark Position Dropdown>>Select Lat-Long option.
  4. Key in LATITUDE>>Enter key.
  5. Key in LONGITUDE>>Enter key.
  6. Next, go to cursor which is now flashing in modelspace. Enter a unique ID, examples MY-SITE, Pickup_101, Bow-Wow, etc., etc
  7. Left click in an 'empty area' of modelspace to exit the Geomarker command.
  8. Select your newly created geomarker, go to Properties Palette and change size to 200.
  9. Verify the point's location by turning on Bing Hybrid aerial imagery. Zoom in on your geomarker.

Notes:

• You may also enter '1' in step 2. Entering 1 will display DMS (deg-min-sec) in the properties palette when your geomerker is selected. OTOH, if you enter 0, the lat/long displayed in Properties Palette will be decimal degrees. ***The LatLongFormat variable only affects the display of coordinates in the Properties Palette.***
  • When entering Lat and Long on command line, you may input either decimal degrees or DMS. If entering DMS enter like this for LAT 34D16'55.7148" and for LONG enter like this -85D10'9.8148". 
  • D=degrees, '=minutes, "=seconds.
  • If you assign a geographic coordinate system to modelspace, i.e. LL83 or LL84, you won't have access to Bing Maps. The built in Bing Map function only workS with projected coordinate systems (e.g. Steate Plane, UTM, etc.).

1. Lat/Long Geomarker option.1. Lat/Long Geomarker option.

2. Enter latitude on command line.2. Enter latitude on command line.

3. Enter longitude on command line.3. Enter longitude on command line.

4. In modelspace, at your flashing cursor, give your geomarker a unique ID.4. In modelspace, at your flashing cursor, give your geomarker a unique ID.

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 3 of 16

Another option, to make it easier to find the desired point - you can insert a polyline, a line in the LL, instead of a point.
At the first point of the line/polyline for "Specify start point:" enter 'll - with an apostrophe. This is the latitude and longitude input mode.
enter_coords.png

After entering the coordinates, press Esc to exit the coordinate input mode. Then specify the second point.
The first point will have the entered coordinates.
The dwg should already have a CS assigned to it.

help_ll.png

-- Alexander, private person, pacifist, english only with translator 🙂 --

Object-modeling _ odclass-odedit.com _ Help

Message 4 of 16
FJankovsky
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

@ChicagoLooper 

Thank you for your reply.  A lot of good information there.  Naming the point and using the Find function and then making changes in the Properties Palette works well.  This approach also allows you to change the coordinates in the Properties and move the point. 

I'm going to look at the reply from @АлексЮстасу and see if I can do the same thing with a circle.  If I can, then I think that I can create a custom command that I can put on my toolbar to automate the process.

Message 5 of 16

@АлексЮстасу 

Alexander,

Thank you for the reply.  I've tried to use this method and I receive an "Invalid Point" response to the 'LL command. 

fjankovsky_0-1641559987531.png

I see the information that you pasted was from Civil.  I'm working in Map3D so maybe that command is not available to me?  I also tried to look up the transparent command info in the Help section without any luck.  Perhaps a system variable that I need to change?  Any ideas?

Message 6 of 16

1. 'll must be entered after the command (PLINE, LINE, CIRCLE, POINT ...) is called, and you must press Enter after it.
2. Map 3D is always included in Civil 3D.

Message 7 of 16

@АлексЮстасу 

Andrew,

I actually did that.  I've expanded the Command area so you can see.  After I enter that and get the Invalid Point error it defaults back to _pline.

fjankovsky_0-1641562572840.png

Message 8 of 16

and you must press Enter after 'll.

Message 9 of 16

@АлексЮстасу 

Yes, I did press enter, that is when it returns the Invalid Point error.  I'm thinking some system variable I need to change but I have no clue as to what it would be.  Perhaps I should open a ticket with the help people.  I'll give the forum another day or two to see if anyone here knows as I'm interested in this path as a solution.

Message 10 of 16

... '_ll?

Message 11 of 16

Message 12 of 16
Pointdump

Frank,
Pretty sure that Transparent Commands are only in Civil 3D. When I switch workspaces my Transparent Commands Toolbar goes away.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 13 of 16
FJankovsky
in reply to: Pointdump

@Pointdump 

Dave,

Thanks for solving the mystery. 

Message 14 of 16
ChicagoLooper

@FJankovsky wrote:

<<....see if I can do the same thing with a circle.  If I can, then I think that I can create a custom command that I can put on my toolbar to automate the process....>>

You can create Tool Palette then place the command(s) of your choice on it (^C^C_geomarklatlong ). It's versatile because you can customize it to behave in specific ways. Image-1.

Image-1Image-1

For example, my Geomarker command, when executed from my Tool Palette, will not only insert a geomarker, it will insert it on a predetermined layer named 'Geomarker.' And it'll even create that layer if it doesn't exist to begin with. The only requirement is to assign a CS to modelspace beforehand. Image-2.

Image-2.Image-2.

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 15 of 16
FJankovsky
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

@ChicagoLooper 

That is interesting.  I've created custom buttons for toolbars but never added them to a palette before.  The only thing that is missing here to make this my ideal solution would be if the Size could be set to something other than 1

in the geometry section.  Maybe that's a system variable that I can change.

fjankovsky_0-1641824136757.png

EDIT:  GEOMARKPOSITIONSIZE  is the system variable for the size of the marker.  I have changed this to 100 and now it is easy to find after insertion.

fjankovsky_0-1641824727443.png

Thanks for the information.

Frank

Message 16 of 16
ChicagoLooper

Frank,

The variable is GEOMARKPOSITIONSIZE.

The default value is 1. You can change it to 200 or whatever you want. 

It's best to save it to your firm's template(s) so the variable 'sticks' to the dwt. Your gonna save and rename the template anyway so you may as well have the size 'built-in' to the template. If you just save it to a single dwg file, it'll only stick to that specific dwg and that means you'll need to recreate the new variable for every dwg.  

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report