AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shape files not importing correctly

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
luiso7FT89
165 Views, 4 Replies

Shape files not importing correctly

i am having some issues here and i have gone through a lot of the posts here to see if i could find a solution but i have not been able to find anything of use to me. 1st i am bringing in a shp file for property lines that i got from the county website. when i import it into QGIS or into Google Earth they come in fine with a r/w of 50' but when i use the same shp file and import into CAD it comes in at a distance of 21.70'. i have tried changing my unit from unitless to feet and its the same issue. i have made sure that the coordinate planes are the same. i am starting to wonder if it is the dwg template i created where the issue lies. but i could really use some help. 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ChicagoLooper
in reply to: luiso7FT89

@luiso7FT89 

<<...when i import it into QGIS or into Google Earth they come in fine...>>

This sounds like, feels like, smells like a coordinate system issue. It might be your units but it doesn't sound like it.

1. What is the native coordinate system of the shapefile you downloaded? This is critical. Know for sure, don't guess. 
  2. In addition to (a), what coordinate system have you assigned to modelspace? You must assign a coordinate system that 'appropriate' for your site. Don't assign a coordinate system that makes your parcels land in Thailand if you want them to land in Florida. 

If you are NOT considering both CS's (did I mention BOTH?) then you'll have issues.

If you assign a coordinate system to modelspace using a flakey method you'll have issues.

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
ChicagoLooper

Hi @luiso7FT89 

What is the County Site where you downloaded the property lines? Can you share the site? 

How many parcels do you need to display in your map? One, 4, 12, 20, 99? More than 100?  

Be generous with important info.

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
Pointdump

Hi Luis,
Definitely going to need more details. Can you post your drawing and the shapefile in question?
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 5 of 5
luiso7FT89

thank you all for your responses. eventually after reading some more forms and playing around with it i did get it to come in correctly @ChicagoLooper it was a coordinate system issue. I was trying to change the original coordinate system of the SHP file to match my local coordinate system. and after reading a different forum i learned that i cant do that. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report