AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Placing ECW by FDO connection

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
878 Views, 7 Replies

Placing ECW by FDO connection

Hello,

I'm placing a ECW-file in my drawing with FDO connection --> Add Raster Image or surface Connection.

When I connect the ECW, I set the file in the same coordinate system as my drawing. However when I click on "Add to map" the file got placed on 0,0.

So now my acctual drawing is on the right and the ECW is on the left. But the ECW must be placed over the drawing (or under).

What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sjoerd 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

I have had problems like you describe when the path to the ECW file was too long (or special language specific characters are part of folder- or filename).

Copy the ECW file (and the worldfile, if there is any) to C:\TEMP and try to connect to the image again from that folder.

BTW: what does command _MAPIINSERT do with your ECW (MAPIINSERT and MAPCONNECT use different procedures for georeferencing!)?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 8
Murph_Map

Was the ECW created in the same coordinate system as your dwg? When you connect to it does it show that a coordinate sytem is assigned to it? Why to connect with out setting the CS in the connection dialog.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Goodmorning,

Thanks for the tips, sorry for the late reaction. The file couldnt find the correct cordinate system so thats why he placed the ECW on 0,0 (I think).

When I use another ECW, the ECW placed perfectly on the drawing.

I don`t use MAPIINSERT because the file is 31,5 GB and when I make a pdf-file from my drawing, I have a file of 360 MB or bigger. The I have to change my dpi. Also my drawing is getting "slow" when I want to zoom in/out because of the ECW.

When I make a Connection with the ECW, the file is 1,98 MB.

But thanks for your help :).

Grt Sjoerd

Message 5 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> The file couldnt find the correct cordinate system

So you have tried to copy the ECW (and EWW) to a TEMP folder and tried to load it from that place?

>> When I use another ECW, the ECW placed perfectly on the drawing.

Well, then there are differences with the file itself or the world-file. Do you have a world-file (*.EWW) parallel to the ECW?

Just to see what is recognized by Map3D: start command _MAPIINSERT (even if you don't want to use it), select your ECW file and let us know from the next dialog:

• Do you see the correct coordinates for "Insertion Values" ... and ...
  • how many items to you see when you try to select a "Correlation Source" (like in the screenshot).
  • 2015-01-05 10-10-59.png

>> when I make a pdf-file from my drawing, I have a file of 360 MB or bigger

That depends on the PDF settings (compression and resolution of rastered data), it does not depend on how you referenced the raster file

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Hi,

Yes, Ive copied the file to a TEMP folder.

Both ECW`s doesnt have a EWW.

When I try the first ECW (with command MAPIINSERT) I see this:

Correlation source: Image file, Image default.

Insertion point:

X: 0

Y: -5000

Z: 0

When I try the second ECW I see:

Correlation source: Image file, Image default.

Insertion point:

X: 177000

Y: 466500

Z: 0

So by the first ECW the cordinates are not right.

By the second ECW the cordinates are right.

Grt Sjoerd

Message 7 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

my conclusion: the first ECW-file does not have external (EWW) and does not have internal (header in ECW) georeference-information.

If you have RasterDesign installed you can use command _MAPIINSERT to place the image in a new drawing, then use command _ALIGN to position the file (based on some reference points you hopefully have) and at least start the RasterDesign command _IWORLDOUT to create a worldfile.

Another method, when you know the georeference-information, is to use a tool to edit the ECW-file's header and put in the georef-info.

HTH, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Hi Alfred,

Ive used RasterDesign and it works perfectly.

Thank you very much for your help!

Grt Sjoerd

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report