AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inserting JPEG with JGW file into AutoCAD Map 3D 2020

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
ccummingsEU5GU
18933 Views, 12 Replies

Inserting JPEG with JGW file into AutoCAD Map 3D 2020

A client has provided me a JPEG of a project aerial and a JGW file to geo-reference the file in AutoCAD. The image came from NearMap, but I still cannot upload the image to the proper scale and geolocation after reading through NearMap's troubleshooting section. Can anybody help me with this problem? Ultimately, I'd like to be able to work with the georeferenced aerial in AutoCAD 2018, not AutoCAD Map 3D 2020. Thanks in advance.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Hi,

Have you tried pasting this image with the MAPIINSERT command?
If you disable Modify Correlation and the file units (UNITS) correspond to the image units, the image will be inserted as needed.

Just in case, I’ll stipulate that for proper work with the image, you need to have not just an attached aerial photograph of sufficient resolution, but an orthophoto...

-- Alexander, private person, pacifist, english only with translator 🙂 --

Object-modeling _ odclass-odedit.com _ Help

Message 3 of 13

I have tried using the MAPIINSERT command, but still with no luck. The aerial photograph is of sufficient resolution and is an orthophoto. How do I know what the image units are? Below is the information from the JGW file when I open it in Microsoft Word:

The name of the file is 'EPSG3857_Date20190408_Lat35.456102_Lon-97.375437_Mpp0.299' which I assume indicates the latitude/longitude coordinates, but I am unclear on how to get the image attached at a proper scale?

Message 4 of 13

The jpg and the jpw go hand-in-hand. You have uploaded the jpg but not the jpw. Can you possibly upload the jpw too?

Chicagolooper
Message 5 of 13

OK, you're at John Conrad Golf Course. Open an imperial template used by your office. Alternatively, you can use a brand new, clean OOTB template.

Warning:

Your jpg and jpw have names which are too long. Rename them like this or you'll have FDO connection issues.

0-Put Both the jpg and jpw in the same folder and shorten the names like this.0-Put Both the jpg and jpw in the same folder and shorten the names like this.

Now do this:

On command line=>MAPCSASSIGN. Enter OK83 in search box.

1-Assign coordinate system to modelspace.1-Assign coordinate system to modelspace.

After ASSIGN, go to Home Tab=>Data Panel=>Connect Icon. In Data Connect Palette, click 'raster' icon, browse to and CONNECT to your Nearmap jpg.

2-Add Raster Image in the Data Connect Palette.2-Add Raster Image in the Data Connect Palette.

In Data Connect palette, if your image displays <unknown> for Coordinate System, you'll need to correct it. It should be consistent with the jpw file or EPSG 3857, also known as WGS.84PseudoMercator.

3-To edit, click 'Edit Coordinate Systems.'3-To edit, click 'Edit Coordinate Systems.'

To give the Nearmap the correct coordinate system, do this.

4-Highlight DEFAULT then edit. Search for and assign EPSG 3857.4-Highlight DEFAULT then edit. Search for and assign EPSG 3857.

Verify the coordinate settings for Nearmap image and modelspace. It should look like this. Then click 'Add to Map.'

5-Your image CS=EPSG 3857. Your modelspace CS=OK83-NF.5-Your image CS=EPSG 3857. Your modelspace CS=OK83-NF.

The Nearmap image will appear in modelspace. It will also be listed in the Map Task Pane (MAPWSPACE=>On)

6-Nearmap image will be shown in Map Task Pane.6-Nearmap image will be shown in Map Task Pane. 

Turn on bing imagery. Go to Geolocation Tab=>Online Map Panel=>Map Hybrid from dropdown.

7-Turn on Bing Hybrid.7-Turn on Bing Hybrid.

Nearmap in modelspace with Bing Hybrid shown in background.

8-Nearmap vs. Bing (Intersection of SE 115th St. & S. Douglas Blvd.)8-Nearmap vs. Bing (Intersection of SE 115th St. & S. Douglas Blvd.)

Done.

Chicagolooper
Message 6 of 13

That works. Thank you!

Message 7 of 13
quicoLugo
in reply to: ccummingsEU5GU

hi

pero, entonces, qué indican esas coordenadas del .jpw?

but then, what do those coordinates in the .jpw file indicate?

gracias Looper

Message 8 of 13

Going back to what was said earlier about file name lengths. There is a limitation to 128 characters for Nearmap images to work properly. We are using Civil 2021 and have recently discovered mapiinsert wasn't always reading the jwg file. Turns out the location of the file was nested too deep in a project directory and we had to move it, plus rename it. 

Since learning this, we haven't had issues with mapiinsert or using the Data Connection option. 

https://docs.nearmap.com/display/ND/AutoCAD+Map+3D+-+Importing+Georeferenced+Images

Message 9 of 13
fieldguy
in reply to: quicoLugo
Message 10 of 13
KDAddison
in reply to: ccummingsEU5GU

Convert it to a tif if you can because it will just cause trouble.

Message 11 of 13
ChicagoLooper
in reply to: quicoLugo

@quicoLugo wrote:

<<pero, entonces, qué indican esas coordenadas del .jpw?

but then, what do those coordinates in the .jpw file indicate?>>

• Line 1: X-scale. This is the horizontal distance in meters represented by each pixel. 
  • Line 2: Rotation about the Y axis.
  • Line 3: Rotation about X axis.
  • Line 4: Y-scale This is the vertical distance in meters represented by each pixel. Normally negative, because whilst an image has its origin in the top left corner, for Northings and Eastings the origin is normally considered to be the bottom left corner - hence why the scale is normally negative.   
  • Line 5: X-reference point. This is the horizontal coordinate (or Easting) of the center of the top left pixel.
  • Line 6: Y-reference point. This is the vertical coordinate (or Northing) of the center of the top left pixel
Chicagolooper
Message 12 of 13
crypto
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

Great little tutorial, thanks for the help.

Message 13 of 13

I wanted to personally thank you for your wise words to "disable to modify correlation". I have been having some real issues with NJ Ortho photos, and now Nearmap where it would insert into QGIS correct, but not CAD. Was almost thinking I needed to export from QGIS as a Rendered Image, but this did exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report