AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to generate legends?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1744 Views, 5 Replies

How to generate legends?

Hello,

I have added the symbol 'P' for parking. How do I add this symbol to legends. I came to know that legends can beCapture 2.PNGcreated from shape file. So I have imported the symbol as a shape file. But When I create legends, it doesnt appear a a 'P' symbol, but appears as a series of 'P'. How do I create a legend for parking-'P'

Capture.PNG

Capture 1.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ChicagoLooper
in reply to: Anonymous

Unfortunately you are misunderstanding the legend creation process. You are 'stylizing' a line (or a polygon) and that's why you are displaying a 'series of P's. Instead of a line or polygon, you should be 'stylizing' a point.

This is how to create a legend .

Create a symbol from a POINT SHAPEFILE. (Reminder: a shapefile is vector. There are exactly three types of vectors: 1.point, 2.line, or 3.polygon. The symbol shown below is a point and has been 'styled' in the Style Editor. The source or the shapefile's name is Surv_Pnts. See image-1.

1-Select shapefile in Task Pane  to activate the Style Editor then create your symbol.1-Select shapefile in Task Pane to activate the Style Editor then create your symbol.

Next, create the legend table. Go to your paperspace layout tab=>Layout Tools Tab=>Layout Elements Panel=>Legend Icon. See image-2.

2-The Legend Table is created from your layout tab  (paperspace).2-The Legend Table is created from your layout tab (paperspace).

Finally, change the default legend Properties, e.g. items to include in legend, title, descriptions, font height. To edit the defaults, hover cursor on edge of legend=>tool wrench with dropdown arrow appears near upper right corner of table=>click the dropdown arrow=>select Properties from shortcut. see image-3.

3-Hover cursor at edge then click dropdown arrow to access legend Properties.3-Hover cursor at edge then click dropdown arrow to access legend Properties.

NOTE: If you do not have a point shapefile for your parking locations then you cannot use this method. If you still want to use this method anyway, then you'll need to create a point shapefile from scratch or have someone else create it for you.

Chicagolooper
Message 3 of 6
ChicagoLooper

To create a symbol, try this. 

To customize your point, use the Style Point editor.To customize your point, use the Style Point editor.

NOTE:  Steps 1 and 2 are mandatory to create a 'P' symbol. Steps 3 and 4 are optional.

Chicagolooper
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

Thank you

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

I don'rt have the point shape file. How to create a point shape file??? Whenever I try to create a shape file, it is by default a line.

Message 6 of 6
ChicagoLooper

@Anonymous wrote:

How to create a point shape file??? Whenever I try to create a shape file, it is by default a line.

Are you exporting an AutoCAD LINE and expecting a POINT shapefile in return. Why? That's like squeezing an orange and expecting lemonade.You should Mapexport an Acad point not an Acad line.

If you have point data you can use it to create a point shapefile. Methods to create point data include, but are not limited to, the following:

1. Create an AutoCAD point: Use POINT command to create and place your points in modelspace.
  2. Insert an AutoCAD block: The block's insertion point, x-position and y-position as shown in the Geometry Section of Properties Palette, would constitute a point location.
  3. Create an ASCII file: Create and input coordinates (x,y or northing/easting or Lat/Long) into a csv file, e.g. xlsx, csv or txt. AutoCAD Map 3D, Civil 3D as well as other third party geospatial software, have coordinate libraries giving them the capability to draw geospatially accurate points using a variety of coordinate formats. 

If you have a parcel shapefile and you know which parcels contain parking lots, you can use the down-n-dirty way like this:

• MAPIMPORT the parcel shapefile which will create Acad polygons from all parcels.
  • Identify and isolate all the polygons that you plan to label with a symbol.
  • DATAEXTRACTION on the parking polygons making sure you extract polygon CENTROID. Output the centroids, or center of mass coordinates, to an ASCII file.
  • Use the ASCII to create and draw Acad points. If you are ambitious, you may enhance your ASCII with data. The more elaborate your data, the more leverage you'll have when you create your parking symbols.
  • MAPEXPORT the points you've drawn to a point shapefile. (Or go outside AutoCAD and use the ASCII in another software to create your shapefile.)
  • Use FDO connection on your point shapefile and create parking symbols.
Chicagolooper

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta