AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can I manipulate data objects in acad map 3d

29 REPLIES 29
SOLVED
Message 1 of 30
Anonymous
2327 Views, 29 Replies

how can I manipulate data objects in acad map 3d

Hi,

I've imported SHP file features into a map I've created. I've changed the appearance from points to rectangles to represent trailer positions. I need to be able to rotate the rectangles by each point but the function is locked. I'm unable to move, rotate, or manipulate the objects in any way. Is there a way to unlock these features so they can be edited?

29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30
Pointdump
in reply to: Anonymous

D,

What do you mean when you say "function is locked"? I'm not having any problem rotating your rectangles.

Rotate.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 30
scheel
in reply to: Pointdump

Hi,

• please check first if your shp files (all files with the same name but different extensions) are unlocked and that you have rights to wirte.
  • I think its a point feature and you use a rectangle as symbol. when I'm right, then you can move a point after checkin out (normal automatic)
    but it could be deaktivate). Rotation are possible only in stilisation, depending of a property for individual, or generally as a value for all.

Thorsten

Thorsten Scheel
Contelos GmbH

Message 4 of 30
parkr4st
in reply to: scheel

dmayjr

can you clarify what you did.   you stated   I've imported SHP file features into a map I've created

did you data connect to the shp  or  use command mapimport?  is the data associated with the objects?

I've changed the appearance from points to rectangles to represent trailer positions

using style editor on the data connected data?

I need to be able to rotate the rectangles by each point but the function is locked

what function is locked?

your map will not open on my Map3d 2015 for some reason.  could you open the map, data connect to your shp data and  export the data as an sdf and post that file?

dave

Message 5 of 30
Anonymous
in reply to: parkr4st

dmayjr

Dave,

I used data connect to bring the shp files into my drawing

I used style editor to make the points look like rectangles.

when I said function, I mean the rotate command. sorry for the confusion.

Message 6 of 30
parkr4st

the sdf has one point and several open polyline objects, no polygons.  ok?

4sightmapStylePoint has the point styled to a rectangle and rotated 30 degrees

the other tif has the map with results

close to what you want?

dave

Message 7 of 30
Anonymous

I think thats getting me closer. what I'm trying to do is rotate each rectangle created from my shp points individually with the rotate command, similar to what pointdump has in his example in the first comment. Just like you would in other forms of AutoCAD. Were you able to see the shp points from the sdf?

Message 8 of 30
parkr4st

there is one point in the data.  that is the one i stylized. 

mapimported the data and qselect    point  the only point is highlighted in the tif.

so you have lost me as to what rectangles you want rotated.

the other data in the sdf is polyline data, none of which is closed.  do you want to rotate the polylines?

dave

Message 9 of 30
Anonymous

Hmmm. It looks like my points from the shp files didn't show up on the sdf.

attached is a sample pic showing the items I want to rotate individually. (the blue and green rectangles around one of the polylines)

these rectangles were created using the style editer on the shp points with blocks I created.

the zip file contains the shp data I initially imported.

I hope this helps.

Message 10 of 30
Anonymous

I think I've found a better way to ask my question.

1. I've imported shp files with the data connection tool
  2. I edit the appearance of the shp points with style editor
  3. style editor allows me to rotate the entire layer but not each individual point ( see attached)
  4. regular rotate does not work as it keeps the rectangle at the constant angle as the initial layer setting.

how do I rotate each individual point?

hope this helps. sorry for the earlier confusion.

Message 11 of 30
parkr4st

like this

mapimport with data

adedefdata

add Field         Rotation      as real

add the rotation angle to each point or group of points in properties

save  everything

mapexport to a new shp, put the shp in a map and style with rotation expression on the rotation field.  style with colors as you want

save a .layer

you can now enter the angle for each point in the data table and the point style rectange will rotate

this rotates centered on the point which may not be just what you need.  if not you can probably make a custom symbol with the base point on the point.

dave

Message 12 of 30
parkr4st

like this

mapimport with data

adedefdata

add Field         Rotation      as real

add the rotation angle to each point or group of points in properties

save  everything

mapexport to a new shp, put the shp in a map and style with rotation expression on the rotation field.  style with colors as you want

save a .layer

you can now enter the angle for each point in the data table and the point style rectange will rotate

this rotates centered on the point which may not be just what you need.  if not you can probably make a custom symbol with the base point on the point.

dave

Message 13 of 30
Anonymous

do I create the rotation field within dock and parking or will it be a new table?

Message 14 of 30
Anonymous

nevermind,

figured out how to add the rotation field Smiley Tongue

"add the rotation angle to each point or group of points in properties" do I just open the properties window? The option for adding rotation doesn't seem to show up when I select a dot or group of dots.

"mapexport to a new shp, put the shp in a map and style with rotation expression on the rotation field.  style with colors as you want" I'm sure this will make more sense when I get the first part.

forgive me. extreme visual learner. from what you posted this is exactly what I was looking for. just need to make sure I exicute it properly. Thanks, Dave. you've been a really big help.

Message 15 of 30
Anonymous

nevermind again. got it to work. Thanks Dave. That was perfect!

Message 16 of 30
Pointdump

Dave P,

OK, this looks cool, but it's a little NOT intuitive.

Step 1:

Step1.png

OK, what's next? Tell me I don't have to start a Table from scratch and fill in the cells one by one, laboriously typing in each one, through the long hours of the night.

Dave S

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 17 of 30
parkr4st

ya, it's a PITA.  You follow the forum about every day.  this solution was presented a few weeks ago by some one with "can't change the schema of a single shp"  error. 

Going through the mapimport is a workaround for the "can't change the schema of a single shp"  error. 

The proper way to do the whole process is to set up the rotation field as real, integer, or any other numerical data type before collecting the data.  Then it would be availalbe for theming based on the requirement of a numeric for the angle of rotation.

Not sure if that is GPS data or total station survey data, but if the rotation field had been a field in the empty data table, the rotation for each point would be added as the data was collected, and then theming would have finished the display after inserting into the map.

The other thing I would have done is during the mapimport got rid of all the irrelevant data columns such as the instrument name, time of day, etc and kept only the relevant fields such as record number, item ID, Lat-Long, rotation just to simplify the table and make it look neater.

dmayjr , perhaps you can fill us in on what the points represent,  My guess is parking spaces or something along that line.  you're trying to line them up to the buildings.

I wouldn't call it perfect, just workable solution for the data given.

Dave P

Message 18 of 30
Anonymous

yes, they represent parking spots. after following the solution my map came out like this. This is exactly what I was trying to do. the table automatically generates when you select the layer and hit table in the task pane. I had to go through each spot to edit the angle, but so many of them were pointing in the same direction, I only needed to copy and paste the angle.

Message 19 of 30
Pointdump

Dmayjr,

How did you add the rotation field? And how do you make Map "obey" that field?

You and Dave P left me in a cloud of dust.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 20 of 30
parkr4st

Arizona dust?

Dave

look at the original parking data.  There is a field Rotation which is integer.  That is ok so long as the rotation is to the nearest whole degree.

That value of the field can be edited from 0 to 20, 30, 40, 12 etc one by one in the data table.

There are parallel parking spaces in real life.

Mapimport the data to dwg objects and by selecting all the parking spaces to be at 20 degrees, it allows typing 20 once in the properties palette in the Rotation field.

by using adedefdata command I added Rotation1 field into the data and set the type to real.  That allows decimal degrees for rotation.  Same process, select a group of parking spaces points and set the property to say 223.36.  This has to do with how picky you have to be with the map.  Most people would not miss the decimal portion but if you have a GPS guided paving machine it may be embarassing in the end.

Now mapexport all the points and data to a new shp or other data type(sdf, etc)

put that shp into the map and style the points with a square and reset width and height to the size of the parking space.

Drop down the rotation list and select use expression, select property Rotation, OK, Apply and close 
(see 4ParkingStyle.tif)

Now the parking points are aligned to the rotation as asked for.

All of the data work which can be avoided by putting the rotation value into the data as the data is collected.

As an aside, One point or two points per set of parking spaces and use an array dynamically to draw rectangles rotated to position, explode the arrays and mapexport to closed polygons.  saves field time, especially if you have an offset laser and gives a nice result also. 

BTW  the photos can be found here     https://tnris.org/data-download/#!/statewide

and data for the buildings, streets, and other city data here    http://gis.dallascityhall.com/homepage/shapezip.htm

Dave P

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report