AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Point Data

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
528 Views, 9 Replies

Creating Point Data

We have ACAD Map 3D and I am still not entirely sure what the purpose of 'Map' is. I would have assumed GIS functionality but that seems limited. I would like to be able to create points that are part of a database, with metadata that I can then export very easily.

Currently if I want to get a point out I must LIST the point(s) I want then copy and paste individual coordinates and then use a different piece of software to capture the metadata.

Surely I should be able to create points easily without so much fuss?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
antoniovinci
in reply to: Anonymous

I guess the easiest way to accomplish your 'classic' goal is:

1. command _ADEDEFDATA to define the Object Data fields
  2. command _ADEATTACHDATA to assign these new OD to the existing objects
  3. when you're done, you can _MAPEXPORT everything to e.g. Shapefile format

I advise you to press F1 and learn all about the above powerful commands, sir.

Message 3 of 10
parkr4st
in reply to: antoniovinci

two items you can read.

http://www.gisperfect.com/res/AutocadMAP/best_practices.pdf   dated 2007 and provides an overview of what map can do.  some of the terminology is gone but the theory is current. 

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-map-3d/learn-explore#?sort=score   this and the tutorials can lead you through the practicals

dave

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: parkr4st

Thanks. The first one gives me a 404 Not Found error but the second one I will look through. I sometimes get frustrated with AD's way of presenting these videos because they are just listed in the order they were uploaded instead of being grouped into sensible categories. But I will make the effort.
Message 5 of 10
parkr4st

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/best_practices_for_managing_geospatial_data1.pdf

same baisc document updated to 2010

google            autocad map 3d best practices         to find other articles

dave

Message 6 of 10
Murph_Map

When you say metadata are you talking about a file that contains all the information on the creation of the points and and coordinate system used etc., or are you talking about attributes for each point? Are you creating the points or are they already in a AutoCAD dwg file? What database are you using? The links Dave provided are good but if you provide more info we can narrow things down to make it easier on you.
Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Murph_Map

I need to add attributes and I would like it to be easy like in Arc; you can click to add a point and you have the option to enter any attributes you want. You can then label using those attributes and export the data with the XY(Z) coordinates.

I am not fussy what kind of database I use and since I am setting this up as a new process we use I could (within reason) set up anything to store that data. The data does end up in what I think is a Paradox database that Surpac uses but it also saves and .mdb file. Currently I use spreadsheets and then save as .csv for import to the database.

A more direct method might make things faster but the reason we keep it as a .csv is so that people assisting me with data capture won't have access to the dB and so that I can make sure my work is correct before importing the data.

To explain what I am doing in case it helps you help me:

1. I have 2D plans with a borehole drawn on as a line. Values from assay samples are written alongside this line. I need the collar coordinates, azimuth, hole_id and the sample data with their from and to measurements.

Example plan.jpg

2. I capture the collar positions of these using a polyline. I also measure the azimuth of the line using DIST.

3. I need the coordinates of the points on the PL so I use LIST and copy and paste to a spreadsheet. I manually enter the azimuth. I would like points but using LIST I would have to separately copy and paste each coordinate. The lines are very confusing, especially when data is added to this plan and I now hav to figure out what has been captured and what not.

4. I then capture the data into the spreadsheet.

All this is manual and it would be much easier if this could happen automatically directly into the corect format. I would love to be able to also capture the azimuth automatically and not have to type it in.

Message 8 of 10
Murph_Map

I would look at creating a schema and features using data connect.  The Learn & Explore link  posted should provide some help on those, do a seach on each for ideas.

The image you posted looks like a scan/paper image and you are wanting to create a digital file. Do you have any of the coordinates or survey data? Any dwgs to start from? You might even be to export them to a feature file. (SDF would be the easiest to start) 

As for the data base I would start with SQLlite, it can contain the geomerty and data. 

Murph
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Murph_Map

[quote] I would look at creating a schema and features using data connect [/quote]

That is what I am trying to do but I can't see how to create points instead of just connecting to existing data.

[quote]Do you have any of the coordinates or survey data?[/quote]
No, that is why I am doing this!

[quote]You might even be to export them to a feature file. (SDF would be the easiest to start)[/quote]
So if I digitised points I would be able to export usable coordinates? How do I get the attributes in at the time?
All email messages have been scanned by Microsoft Forefront protection and are found to be free of Virus's
Message 10 of 10
Murph_Map

Have you created a schema with empty geometry and created the properties/attributes? I'll upload a quick video on it, it;s up to you to enter the proper locations.

Take a look

https://screencast.autodesk.com/main/details/c39a10a2-0486-41c5-a580-b5006f9e16a8

Murph

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report