AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All circles and lines disappeared after closing and reopening file

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
megageometry
387 Views, 7 Replies

All circles and lines disappeared after closing and reopening file

I'm working in Autocad Map 3D 2025. I assigned a coordinate system of NSRS 2011 Ohio State Planes, South Zone, US foot, and then set the units to US Survey Foot. I installed ARCGIS for Autocad with no problems, imported the World Hillshade map, and turned on the Esri Imagery map. Everything aligned great. I then imported a kmz file with a bunch of placemarks of sacred sites, without any problems.

Then I spent a day drawing circles and lines over the map, working out the geometric relationships of the sites and surrounding landscape. Everything looked great. Then I saved the file and rebooted my computer, but when I reopened the file, all of my drawing objects (circles and lines) are gone. When I zoom extents, it takes me to a blank part of the screen with no map, but the circles and lines are not visible, regardless of scale. I tried a large lasso selection, but nothing is selected. I tried the AUDIT command, but no errors were reported. I found the .bak file, renamed it and opened it, but the results were the same...

What happened? I don't want to spend the day to recreate all my work, because the same thing may happen again. I think the file may be corrupt, but at no point did I receive any kind of error. I am very confused...

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Pointdump
in reply to: megageometry

Hi Amber,
You can post your drawing. One of us might see something overlooked.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 8

Hi @megageometry 

<<...I assigned a coordinate system of NSRS 2011 Ohio State Planes, South Zone, US foot...>>

Can you explain your step-by-step workflow when you assigned the coordinate system?

Chicagolooper
Message 4 of 8
megageometry
in reply to: Pointdump

Thanks, Dave

This is what it looks like with the world Hillshade turned off. Just a map with a location marker...

When I zoom extents, the map moves to the right corner and gets smaller. I'm not sure why the map doesn't fill the window...

Message 5 of 8

I clicked on the arrow in the coordinate box at the bottom of the drawing, chose Library, searched for "ohio" and slected that system.... I've attached a screenshot that recreates the process... I can't remember whether I changed the units to survey feet before or after I did this...

Thanks for your help.

Message 6 of 8
megageometry
in reply to: megageometry

So I started with a new file and went through a similar setup process to see if I could recreate the problem. I decided to try a slight different coordinate system and set it to NAD_1983_2011_StatePlane_Ohio_South using both the Autocad library, and the "Coordinate System" button on the ARCGIS ribbon. I drew some circles and lines, then closed the file and reopened it. All the circles and lines were still there, exactly where I expected. I've attached a file to show what it looks like.

I thought maybe the issue was with the kmz files I used in the problematic file, so I made a copy of the good file, and then imported those two kmz files into the drawing. I closed Autocad, then restarted and opened the file. There was still no problem with the new file. I have used Autocad for years, but this is my first experience with Map 3D, and it was probably user error, but I 'm not sure what I did wrong the first time. I cannot recreate the issue, so hopefully it was a fluke.

I do still have a few questions:

1. What would happen if the Coordinate system assigned using the Autocad library was different from that assigned under the ARCGIS tab?

2. Are the placemarks in the kmz files automatically converted to the Ohio state plane coordinate system assigned to the drawing? They came from Google, which uses a different coordinate system, so I'm not sure how they worked.

3. How do I take a group of DEM files (TIFs) that I manipulated in ARCGIS, combine them, and import the TIF into Autocad Map3D, using a different coordinate system? The native files are in the NAD 1983 coordinate system in meters, but I want to use feet in Autocad. I'm able to get a working file using NAD 1983 (meters) in Autocad, but I really need feet. I've tried a few different ways, but none of my conversions work. When I try to project the raster files in ARCGIS, the files get very fuzzy. When I try to do the coordinate conversion in Autocad, I can't get it to work. What is the BEST tool to use? 

4. Are there any tutorials or documentation that would help me understand coordinate conversions, and working with DEM data, going back and forth from ARCGIS to autocad? I've watched a bunch on YouTube, but can't find any that really address what I'm trying to do...

Message 7 of 8

Hi @megageometry 

I'm glad you got it to work. 

Working in coordinate geometry can be a royal PIA. There's a lot to know, and more importantly, it's more important to know why things behave like they do and not just how-to.

1. What would happen if the Coordinate system assigned using the Autocad library was different from that assigned under the ARCGIS tab? One of the biggest and greatest advantages of working in Map3D is the two coordinate systems DON'T have to be the same. Oftentimes they're not, and when they're not, M3D doesn't freak out. It'll take the NATIVE coordinate system from the file that's entering modelspace and TRANSFROM its geospatial position so to be consistent with the coordinate system you have manually assigned to your drawing. Trust M3D. Don't think you have to perform the transformation yourself, you don't. M3D does it for you. The catch is this (actually there's 2 catches): (a) you must know the CS of the file that's entering your drawing and (b) you must PROPERLY assign a coordinate system that's relative (or appropriate) to your site. If you guess incorrectly on a or b, you might have issues. There are too many implications to mention in this post if, and when, you guess wrong. 

2. Are the placemarks in the kmz files automatically converted to the Ohio state plane coordinate system assigned to the drawing? They came from Google, which uses a different coordinate system, so I'm not sure how they worked. Yes, but it heavily depends on the method you choose and the workflow you use to add that KMZ point to your drawing. If you properly 'import'  a KMZ point (Google Earth uses WGS84 aka LL84 in MapsLibrary), then it will be automatically transform to the state plane you've assigned to your drawing. Example: You assign OH83-SF to a brand new, clean drawing. Your drawing units will now be (automatically be) feet. Why? Because you're using a CS based on feet. Had you assigned  UTM83-17 instead of SPCS, your modelspace drawing units would be meters. AutoCad has templates for both imperial and metric. Based on your dwgunits, you'd select an imperial template if your dwgunits are feet and a metric template if your dwgunits were meters. If you were to import a KMZ file of Interstate 270 from google Earth (this is where it begins to get complicated) your imported I-270 linework would have units of degrees. Not feet, not meters! Still Map3D won't freak out because it'll still perform a TRANSFORMATION on the native KMZ's native CS (which is LL84). The end result will be I-270 will plop down in modelspace exactly where it should. The catch, there's always a catch, it won't plop down correctly if you accidentally (or unknowingly) assigned a CS for Oklahoma. Also, if the imported file doesn't have a NATIVE coordinate system to begin with, then it won't be accurate either. Luckily, Google Earth always assigns a CS. In the end, M3D has transformed from LL84 degrees to your drawing that's using feet. No, not meters to feet, not miles to feet, not kilometers to feet, it's d-e-g-r-e-e-s to feet! And it did it automatically. 

3. How do I take a group of DEM files (TIFs) that I manipulated in ARCGIS, combine them, and import the TIF into Autocad Map3D, using a different coordinate system? The native files are in the NAD 1983 coordinate system in meters, but I want to use feet in Autocad. I'm able to get a working file using NAD 1983 (meters) in Autocad, but I really need feet. I've tried a few different ways, but none of my conversions work. When I try to project the raster files in ARCGIS, the files get very fuzzy. When I try to do the coordinate conversion in Autocad, I can't get it to work. What is the BEST tool to use? You can, and you should, assign the CS you want to use, such as OH83-SF(?), then add the DEMs using the Data Connect Palette and M3D will transform from the DEM's native CS to your drawing's CS. Map3D's Data Connect palette even has a box you can check that will combine the DEMs so they'll be a single entity. If you use another program to do what M3D can already do you are undervaluing the capabilities of the program.

4. Are there any tutorials or documentation that would help me understand coordinate conversions, and working with DEM data, going back and forth from ARCGIS to autocad? I've watched a bunch on YouTube, but can't find any that really address what I'm trying to do... Yeah, I get it. There aren't a lot of resources available to learn Map3D without spending on training by a Professional Trainer. That's why they can, and do, get paid, they're professionals. No, not the pretend professionals with many years of experience and claim to know  a lot, some of them don't, they just have experience with earlier versions of AutoCad and think that's enough to carry weight but it's really nothing more than LIGHTweight. Right now, given your specific situation (no, not anyone else's situation) this Forum will be your most valuable resource. Just work at it, that's not a joke, continue to w-o-r-k, then if you stumble (when you stumble), return to this Forum. You can address your specific issue (no, not an issue on youtube, your issue) and get a specific answer (no, not a general answer, but your specific answer). The Forum is good. It's free education, especially if you're willing to share your problem files.   

Chicagolooper
Message 8 of 8

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate your detailed explanations and advice about getting help moving forward. A lot of Google searches have brought me to this forum in the past, and it's been very helpful reading other people's posts. Not sure what took me so long to make my first post!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report