AutoCAD Map 3D Developer
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Developer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D Developer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to crop a map portion

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
rajeev_j
1227 Views, 6 Replies

Want to crop a map portion

Hi All

I am using FDO to get some layers on my map. Now i am having 2 layers loaded on the display sceen and it contains polygons.

Now i want to draw a polygon around a certion portion and want to work on that portion only. i.e. i want all the objects and features outside my drawn polygon to disapper.

Can anyone help how to achieve this?

Thanks,
Rajeev.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Partha.Sarkar
in reply to: rajeev_j

Hi Rajeev,

Now i want to draw a polygon around a certion portion and want to work on that portion only. i.e. i want all the objects and features outside my drawn polygon to disapper.

>>> From the very description it appears you are trying to achieve this using Map 3D UI tools and not through API. If you are using Map 3D UI tools, when you add FDO data in Map 3D using a particular FDO provider, instead of selecting default "Add to Map" click the drop down menu next to it and select "Add to Map with Query" where you can define the boundary of the area for the data. Rest of the data won't be displayed then.

See the screenshot below -

AddToMapwithQ.png

If you want to do this using API, I will suggest you to check the "BuildMap" SDK sample in the platform folder.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Partha

Partha Sarkar
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 3 of 7
rajeev_j
in reply to: Partha.Sarkar

Hi Partha

Thanks for the help.

Can u pelase give me the link for the "BuildMap" SDK.

Thanks a lot,

Rajeev.

Message 4 of 7
rajeev_j

Hi Partha

FYI.....I am using Autodesk Utility Design 2009 which is probably built on top on Map 3d and hence i dont have the "BuildMap" SDK.

Could you please send that to me or help me on this..

Thanks a lot

Rajeev.

Message 5 of 7
Partha.Sarkar
in reply to: rajeev_j

Hi Rajeev,

Yes, Utility Design is built on top of Map 3D.

BuildMap is a SDK sample. You can download Map 3D SDK from the following link -

For 2014 SDk, you will see it here :

Map ObjectARX SDK 2014\Map Samples\Platform\BuildMap

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=868205

However, I don't see 2009 SDK is available online. Normally we don't keep very old SDK online.

If you need 2009 SDK, I would suggest to check with your local Autodesk reseller / distributor.

Thanks,

Partha

Partha Sarkar
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 6 of 7
frosty1_4me

I'm looking at doing this as well, but how do you do the query if you cannot see the objects yet?  Is there a way to preview the data (not using the map query tools but through FDO) where you can first display the data before applying the FDO query, add to map?

Thanks

Message 7 of 7
norman.yuan
in reply to: frosty1_4me

<QUOTE>

"but how do you do the query if you cannot see the objects yet"

</QUOTE>

One do not have see the features in FDO source n order to query, as long as you have proper query criteria/parameters. For example, if you want to grab all features inside a given area/boundary, you only need a list of points that represents a polygon.

Yes, to be able to see it before build your own query would be good. But if the FDO source contains huge data, you may not want to see them all at once, which may bring your computer to its knees. You also need a query to decide what you want to see. So, you always need a query anyway.

AFAIK, AutoCAD MAP does not provide preview to FDO data to let you build your precise query. If you like, you can build your own query:

1. Directly use FDO API (not Acad MAP's wrapped FDO in its platform API) to get needed FDO data (query, of course), and display it. The chance of finding a third party spatial data viewing component that consuming FDO data is very high, or you can write your own FDO data viewer; This way, your final product can run both inside AutoCAD and outside AutoCAD

2. Simply use AutoCAD MAP platform API to get/query the FDO source and write your own FDO data viewer.

Norman Yuan

Drive CAD With Code

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost