Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom Extents problem in model space

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
tor3B3UK
8189 Views, 20 Replies

Zoom Extents problem in model space

Recently (as in an hour ago) the zoom extents (working in model space) is zooming to ridiculous parameters - like way over 100,000 miles out. There is nothing drawn past about 500 feet from 0,0, so I'm not sure what's going on... I have turned on all the layers and tried 'erasing' everything but the source drawing but that is not helping. I've also turned on and off my computer a couple of times...no luck. Attached is the source drawing. There is an xref missing, but that zooms to normal extents without a problem. 

Anyone have a similar problem and how did you solve it? Thanks!

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
rkmcswain
in reply to: tor3B3UK

* Run the SELECT command.
* Select "ALL".
Then "R" for Remove.
Then window the "dot" in the middle of the screen (which is all of your known drawing entities)
Then ENTER.
There will be 22 entities left selected
All PDF underlays
All with extraordinary extents.

You can edit, delete, view properties, etc., as they are selected now.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 21
pendean

If I fix your file with RECOVER then detach your missing PDFs Zoom Extents works just fine here.

Message 4 of 21
tor3B3UK
in reply to: pendean

I tried the recover command and zoomed to extents with the same problem. 

I cannot remove the PDF's from the drawing - they must remain as this is a remodel and those are the existing floor plans.

I have been working on this sheet for several weeks now and this problem just started today. 

What other advice do you have if I need to keep the PDFs? 

Message 5 of 21
pendean

The PDFs placement is the cause of your zoom extents problem it would appear: did you perhaps nudge them or make copies of them far-far-away? There are 22 of them but you only reference in around 15.

Zoom in manually to see the content you want and your PDFs, use the method noted in post #2 to remove the objects you did not select and see if that helps.
Message 6 of 21
tor3B3UK

The first thing I did when this happened was to erase everything beyond the core drawings since sometimes things get accidentally copied outside the drawings extents like you said. I tried this for at least an hour but my selection window never picked up on anything. I don't think the PDF's are the problem as they have not changed in a couple of weeks....Any other ideas?

Message 7 of 21
pendean

>>>...I don't think the PDF's are the problem...<<<
But erasing them here seems to fix your stated Zoom Extents problem. Weird, huh.

Capture.PNG

Make a VIEW of your closeup area and call it when needed as an interim. If I have time I'll replace your 16 missing pdfs with some of my own and see if I can spot anything unusual.

Message 8 of 21
tor3B3UK

> >>>...I don't think the PDF's are the problem...<<<
> But erasing them here seems to fix your stated Zoom Extents problem. Weird, huh.

I tried erasing all the PDF's which did not help on my side.

I also tried deleting *everything* and then drawing a reference line 400' from 0,0 and the zoom still extended to 1,000,000 miles out...

Attached is a screen cap of the same field of view that you posted with all the layers turned on. As you can see, there is nothing on my screen, and using the select window with all layers on doesn't pick up anything where there appears to be something visible in your image...

Is it either:

a) a corrupt CAD installation, or 

b) something that you found that's 'hidden' somehow?

Message 9 of 21
tor3B3UK

> >>>...I don't think the PDF's are the problem...<<<
> But erasing them here seems to fix your stated Zoom Extents problem. Weird, huh.

I tried erasing all the PDF's which did not help on my side.

I also tried deleting *everything* and then drawing a reference line 400' from 0,0 and the zoom still extended to 1,000,000 miles out...

Attached is a screen cap of the same field of view that you posted with all the layers turned on. As you can see, there is nothing on my screen, and using the select window with all layers on doesn't pick up anything where there appears to be something visible in your image...

Is it either:

a) a corrupt CAD installation, or 

b) something that you found that's 'hidden' somehow?

Message 10 of 21
tor3B3UK

I don't have that blue dot from your screen cap. What is that?

Message 11 of 21
hwalker

That is something which is still selected after the other items have been removed from the selection

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 12 of 21
scottspeig

That's a grip point when you select all the pdf underlays.

I tried the solution from post #2 and it works, so it would appear that it's to do with the pdf underlays.

Could you remove the underlays and reinsert them?

I go with the qselect option to select the underlays and hit delete.

As it is, with the 22 underlays selected after the appropriate steps in #2, the properties are as per attached which is the problem.

Message 13 of 21
belemptogat

I've had the same problem for a dozen releases.  There are lots of things you can fix, but the problem remains.  I just don't zoom extents in a drawing with only one or two things in it.  Mine has - based on a list all - exactly one entity.  My extents are 10e19, for a box 1200 units on a side.

I find that marking a problem solved on this site is mostly grasping at straws.  "I had the same problem and fixed it."  "Good enough!  Close the case!  Nothing to see here, move along!"

Actually the autodesk sites are pretty useless for help.  Everyone assumes everyone else is an idiot and their problems are all their fault.  It's not the case.

Message 14 of 21
cadffm
in reply to: belemptogat

Never a Problem, but no one call you a idiot if you post a sample (dwg) and there is a real problem.

In 99% of cases the problem is users knowledge, nothing more.

- Sebastian -
Message 15 of 21
tor3B3UK
in reply to: belemptogat

>Actually the autodesk sites are pretty useless for help.  Everyone assumes everyone else is an idiot and their problems are all their fault.  It's not the case

You know what bothers ME about the Autodesk "knowledge network"? It's the condescending nature of the moderators. They REALLY try hard to degrade and shame users and say very mean things just like CADffm who used the word 'idiot' to describe people who post in this sub. 

I only use this forum as a very last resort and despise ALL of the moderators, especially pendean who can really dish insults in an extremely destructive vein as evidenced in this thread. 'WEIRD, HUH'?

Message 16 of 21
pendean

My replies in this thread? really? where? that's a stretch.

@tor3B3UK and @belemptogat You can always pay for support if you need it here https://servicesmarketplace.autodesk.com/providers/product/autocad-lt

Message 17 of 21
steven-g

@tor3B3UK wrote:

It's the condescending nature of the moderators.

No moderators here. Everyone here is just a user like everyone else, maybe been around a bit longer but we are all users.

Message 18 of 21
cadffm

Hey.

I'm pretty annoyed with your posting.

It is not true that I used the word "idiot", it was belemptogat and I commented on his statement.

Please read a little more carefully.

All moderators?
Hardly any moderator writes here, usually it's just users (like me) because this is a user forum.

If you read a strong arrogance in everyone, it's largely your problem.
You obviously interpret a lot in answers that are not part of the technical statement and content.

Also consider that English is not the mother tongue of many!

If someone tells you that you are wrong with your assumption or your way to achieve a goal is not good,
then it’s not automatically arrogant.
On the contrary, it is an attempt to help them and to say things clearly.

And last:
As long as a problem is not clearly available to the other users (helpers), you have to assume that AutoCAD (eg) is working properly and that the problem can be found in the file or with the user.

Regarding you and your forum activity: It is a pity for you that you are reluctant to help because of your sensitivity,
I know this problem from others and I am therefore also aware that these people read a lot of information in the answers, ignore it and simply do not understand it because of the bias.

Some answers are hard?
certainly!
But if the content is right and it can expand my knowledge and understanding, then I'm happy about it.
I am happy about it (positive, sensible) much more than I could get angry about the unimportantness of the wording (does not help me).

And your comment on Pendean:
Yes, he too can answer hard.
But give this thread as an example? Wow.
You really have a problem with your environment.

He showed the problem immediately and to the point, without insults or the like.

Unfortunately, the TO could
not follow the problem yourself with the perfectly determined hint,
another confirmation from Pendean with the simple "'WEIRD, HUH'?" is a problem?
People talk like that, why shouldn't they write like that?

Contact a service provider if you would like to have it more formal.

If that was an insult to you, talk to your neighbor or friends, maybe they can help you see things more loosely.

Concentrate on the technical and technical content, learn through it, and deal less with minor matters.

Even after decades of helping other users, I can't ignore every comment like yours.
Today it was time again that I did not ignore lies and false claims,
of all people who accuse this of others.
I donate many hours and half nights here every day for difficult cases to solve technical problems and answer questions.

Unfortunately it is not possible for me to have a good conversation with you, but if your German is good we can write in German.

Sebastian,
who feel sorry for people who stands on there way themselves.

- Sebastian -
Message 19 of 21
SteveMazza4062

I am bumping this post up because I think I found some useful information.  (I don't want to drag up ill feelings - and I hope anyone involved has cooled down and can forgive each other.)

I also had a drawing recently where ZOOM EXTENTS resulted in an absurdly large drawing view.  The extents apparently ranged from -1.8E+20,-1.0E+20 to +1.8E+20,+1.8E+20.  The first screenshot attached below shows this condition.  I struggled with this for a while, trying all my "usual tricks", but nothing helped.  I looked up an Autodesk knowledge entry on this issue, which suggested a few additional methods, but none of them helped either.

(I really didn't want to WBLOCK out the entire modelspace, as the drawing has multiple layouts, and it would have been some amount of work to transfer everything to a new drawing.  I guess I also could have XREF-ed in the clean modelspace to the original sheet, but it might have required fixing layer overrides, and it's a drawing I inherited, so I didn't want to create any new loose ends to clean up.)

Anyway, here's how I diagnosed the problem.  I used CUTCLIP to move all objects in modelspace to a new drawing.  That immediately corrected the problem with the extents of the original drawing.  So I knew that the problem resided with a real, selectable object in modelspace.  I then used CUTCLIP to move objects back into the original drawing, one section of the modelspace at a time.  After each PASTE, I tried to ZOOM EXTENTS.  When I pasted one particular block into the original drawing, the extents problem came back!

I used BEDIT to investigate the problem block.  The geometry preview looked fine, but once I entered it, I saw it had the absurdly large extents.  By SELECT-ing ALL objects in the block's modelspace and then deselecting the visible objects, I found two PDF Underlay objects in that block.  These two objects were nonsensical, because their extents were negative, and absurdly large.  (See the second screenshot.)  They also had nothing to do with that block.  I suspect they were created by some kind of program error, and not by any user action.  I detached all the legitimate PDF references to make sure that these two were not needed references.  These two PDF Underlay objects persisted, despite the fact that they did not appear in the EXTERNAL REFERENCES window!  After deleting them, and saving the block definition, the extents of the drawing were fixed!

So I opened the problem drawing again, used BEDIT to fix the problem block, and I was able to work as normal.  🙂

Message 20 of 21
rkmcswain
in reply to: SteveMazza4062

@SteveMazza4062 wrote:

I also had a drawing recently where ZOOM EXTENTS resulted in an absurdly large drawing view.  The extents apparently ranged from -1.8E+20,-1.0E+20 to +1.8E+20,+1.8E+20. 

When I pasted one particular block into the original drawing, the extents problem came back!

One of a billion problems that can happen in DWG files. I don't know what the fix it. It's such a wild west problem, that it would be difficult to scan the drawing for problems (from the standpoint of Autodesk trying to make a "fix DWG" tool). On the other hand, has AUDIT been updated all these years? Certainly finding drawing entities with astronomical coordinates would be something that could be programmed.

But then again, if all DWG files were always spotless and clean, I'd have a lot less to do every day.......

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost