Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with "save as" and "open" commands

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
raffaele67
9742 Views, 14 Replies

I installed Autocad LT 2018, I have a PC with Windows 10 with CORE I5, 4 GB Ram and HD free space.
If I use Autocad LT to create a new DWG file, when later I want to use the "save as" command and select a folder, Autocad LT crashes with error.
The same is true if I use Autocad LT and try to open an existing file when I go to the path where that file was saved, Autocad LT crashes with error.
I have also tried to create very simple paths of the kind:
😧 \ DWG \ 1.dwg but it still locks.
I tried to reinstall the software but it always stops when i do one of the 2 commands.
I have also tried to restore the Autocad LT settings but without success.
Can anyone help me?

Thank you.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Erense
in reply to: raffaele67

Try disabling the User Account Control and any Virusscanner/Firewall.

Try Running AutoCAD as 'administrator'

Log in as a different user on the machine and run AutoCAD to see if it keeps giving problems.

Different User = Problem -> Machine bound issue

Different User /= Problem -> User profile issue

also check here:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Freeze...

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/AutoCA...

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Kind regards,

Edwin Rense
Cadac Group AEC BV
Supporting Consultant AEC
Cadac Group .
Message 3 of 15
raffaele67
in reply to: Erense

Thank you for your answer.

Poor did not work.

I've tried all your tips, starting as Administrator, Creating a New Windows Account, but the problem always reappears.

I have updated NVIDIA and with NVIDIA control panel I added Autocad 2018 LT and managed the 3D settings by selecting using high performance NVIDIA processor but it did not work.

Obviously at every change I reset the PC.

I tried to use an old version of AUTOCAD (2012) initially blocked, then I disable Autodesk Infocenter and with Autocad 2012 everything works fine.
it's a pity because the new version 2018 is also very interesting with the subscription formula.

You have other suggestions as the PC seems to have no problems (as it works with Autocad 2012).

Anyone know how to help me?

Thanks again for your time.
Greetings

Message 4 of 15
john.vellek

Hi @raffaele67,

Usually this error is related to either a corrupted user profile which you indicate you have eliminated from the possibilities and that the graphics card driver might be incompatible.

Can you tell me your OS, graphics card make and model, and exact version of AutoCAD LT?

You can also prepare a NFO file for me. If you want to send it privately, send me a PM and I will give you a way to share it.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 5 of 15
rkmcswain

Try this as a test.

Type in FILEDIA, set it to 0.

Now run the SAVEAS command again.

It will make you type in the path+name. (you could copy it prior, and paste it in).

Does this work, if you avoid the dialog box?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 6 of 15
raffaele67
in reply to: rkmcswain

@rkmcswain wrote:
Try this as a test.

Type in FILEDIA, set it to 0.

Now run the SAVEAS command again.

It will make you type in the path+name. (you could copy it prior, and paste it in).

Does this work, if you avoid the dialog box?

Thank you for your response and for your time.
This morning I performed various tests by setting FILEDIA = 0 and for the moment it has always worked.
I tried to open DWG in simple folders and long paths and I did not have any problems. I did the same tests, creating new DWG, or opening them from each folder, then saving them to new folders. For now it worked.
You have some suggestions to resolve the issue and bring FILEDIA = 1.
I started using autocad with RELEASE 10 (in DOS) but now saving or opening files using copy and paste can create some problems ...
What can the problem be?

Thank you again and greetings

Message 7 of 15
john.vellek

Hi @raffaele67,

You might consider performing a Reset Settings to Default to see if that fixes this issue for you. I suspect however that this might be a .Net error. Which version is installed on your system?

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 8 of 15
Erense

Do you perhaps have a mobile device connected (through USB or Bluetooth) to the PC?

In that case Windows might try to read the 'drive' that is your mobile device. I have heard about this causing 'browse' problems within AutoCAD.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Kind regards,

Edwin Rense
Cadac Group AEC BV
Cadac Group .
Message 9 of 15
raffaele67
in reply to: john.vellek

@john.vellek wrote:

Hi @raffaele67,

You might consider performing a Reset Settings to Default to see if that fixes this issue for you. I suspect however that this might be a .Net error. Which version is installed on your system?

I tried to run the RESET SETTINGS DEFAULT but the problem is not resolved.
The operating system on  PC is Windows 10 Pro version 10.0.15063 BUILD 15063.

Yesterday I followed the board of "rkmcswain" on the forum, I set ZERO value FILEDIA and I did various tests, even with long search and long SAVEAS paths and is running.
Windows 10 allows you to copy a folder or file path in a simple way but obviously it would be even better to use the DIALOG BOX directly by setting FILEDIA to 1.
Today I do other tests with FIELD to ZERO.

Thank you for leaving and your time.

Raffaele

Message 10 of 15
Erense

Have you searched through your Windows EventViewer to see if there is anything reported there (other then 'appcrash')?

Sounds to me if filedia = 0 seems to work it is a 'browse' error.

I'm not completely sure but there must be something like 'network discovery' or 'file discovery' which can be disabled.

Can't seem to find it in W10. 😞

Checkthis: how-to-enable-network-discovery-and-configure-sharing-options-in-windows-10

Network discovery should be enabled.

Kind regards,

Edwin Rense
Cadac Group AEC BV
Cadac Group .
Message 11 of 15
rkmcswain

Also, try this: Use Process Monitor to watch file/registry activity, that may help you find/see the exact moment the crash happens to pin down the culprit.

Here is an overview of how to do that: Tracking down why that application is slow

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 12 of 15
vernExcitron
in reply to: Erense

many thanks!  turning ON network discovery fixed my Mechanical Desktop 2009 & Autocad being unresponding, when opening or saving!

clue was given that filedia=0 stopped the unresponding behavior.

History:  2 weeks ago  I bought 1833mhz 16GB RAM modules and inserted into first bank, and moved my old 800 mhz 16 GB into bank 2.  ran fine until I loaded enough programs that 18 GB was needed.  The slower RAM running at 2X normal corrupted some files. 

so I removed all MS Visual c++, Visual Studio, .net framework, SQL (many versions each).  also disabled every windows feature and Services that I thought I didn't need.  no remote anything, backup, experience, etc..  only 40% of services are running.  my PC stands alone, only need internet, so can disable much.

well, that caused 10 days of super grief!  many programs didn't run, including autodesk. then  bought new 1833mhz 16GB RAM modules, now 32GB of 1833 mhz.  pc ran2X faster.

then reinstalled latest MS Visual c++, Visual Studio, .net framework, SQL (many versions each).  then all programs were running.  but autocad became unresponsive.  turns out it needs  network discovery.

now my pc runs at least 2X faster, 4-5X faster altogether than ever before.  amazing.

I deleted all shortcut files in the 19 folders in:

c:\user\vern\appdata\roaming\auodesk\Autodesk Mechanical Desktop 2009\r17.2\enu\recent.

I did not delete the folders, just the files in each folder.  turns out autodesk saved all of my save as, etc. shortcut files--over 4,000!  since day 1.  mech. desktop and autocad run faster when opening and saving.

before all this, mech destop took 1-2 seconds to click on a dimension in a layout, before I could move the cursor.  now it is instantaneous!  I have 4.7 ghz amd64 8 core FX-9590 windows 7 pro 64.  always been a fan of amd, intel is ho-hum.

Message 13 of 15
irontower2000

I don't know that some one get help or not but for me it is very useful. I was suffering from a weak, I could not open and save as my drawings and was getting very sticky. Now I am back in

Thanks  a lot

Message 14 of 15
vernExcitron
in reply to: vernExcitron

hi, here is an update that should help everyone make autocad run much faster.  close any autocad program first. history:

I deleted all shortcut files in the 19 folders in:

c:\user\vern\appdata\roaming\auodesk\Autodesk Mechanical Desktop 2009\r17.2\enu\recent.

I did not delete the folders, just the files in each folder.  turns out autodesk saved all of my save as, etc. shortcut files--over 4,000!  since day 1.  mech. desktop and autocad run faster when opening and saving.

before all this, mech destop took 1-2 seconds to click on a dimension in a layout, before I could move the cursor.  now it is instantaneous!  I have 4.7 ghz amd64 8 core FX-9590 windows 7 pro 64.  always been a fan of amd, intel is ho-hum.

my update for files in c:\user\vern\appdata\roaming\auodesk\Autodesk Mechanical Desktop 2009\r17.2\enu\recent:

Autocad products saves all shortcut files used since day 1 for:

Save Drawing As

Select File

acad-131 (your windows may be different)

New External File

SelectDrawingFileBlkDlg

ButtonEditDlg

there are other folders, but mine were empty.

Also, every time I changed my xref path when opening a drawing file, autocad saved the changed path as a shortcut.  in the last 2 years, I changed my drawing file structure a lot, to have more meaning and sense.  that means when opening every drawing that references parts, which I changed the name using Windows Exporer, I selected the new drawing name.

Example, I renamed:

Bearing thrust needle 18x31x4 Assy.dwg to Bearing thrust needle 18x31x4 AXK1831 Assy.dwg.

then when opening any drawing file that references it, I select the new file name.  after drawing is opened, I then change the reference file definition name to new name, then save my updated drawing.

I'm the only cad user here at Excitron, and I have > 1,000 assembly files referencing parts.  shows I have been busy.

so on 11/24/2019, I deleted all files in those folders again, about 1,000 files since 2018.

also did same for c:\user\vern\appdata\roaming\auodesk\Autodesk Mechanical 2009\r17.2\enu\recent, and  c:\user\vern\appdata\roaming\auodesk\Autodesk Mechanical 2010\r17.2\enu\recent.

you can look at other installations you may have.

then I took a deep breath,and deleted 79 other individual folders, that contained one new xref path and 1 file in each.

just by deleting these files, MDT2009 runs much faster for all commands.  so it seems that any autocad product looks through all these folders for some or all commands.  they shortcuts,  only 1K or 2K size, but apparently autocad reads them all.   And never deletes them.  a colossal waste of time, and causing my hard drive to excessively load and search.  millions and millions of file operations.

Message 15 of 15
kumarmani9499

thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost