Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

moving objects between layers

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
4081 Views, 6 Replies

moving objects between layers

I'm having an issue I am using autocad LT 2018. I moved multiple objects to a different layer, most of them moved to the new layer. But one object did not move. when I check the properties of that object, it says that its moved to the new layer but it physically remains on the old layer. I've tried to copy the object to the new layer but still nothing

any help will be greatly appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
steven-g
in reply to: Anonymous

If it says in properties that it is moved what makes you think it hasn't?

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: steven-g

when I turn the old layer off, the object disappears with it.

Message 4 of 7
steven-g

OK guessing time, is the object a block or part of a block/group. If you could post the file pointing out the object it would be much easier to find the problem.

Message 5 of 7
pendean

You moved a block with content on a layer not related to anything you move to/from most likely.

Make a copy of these objects off to one side, EXPLODE them and find out for sure.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

okay I tried that and now it seems that I can move it to the layer that I want to with no problems. But I don't quite understand how that worked would you mind going into a bit of explanation. I'm fairly new to auto cad so if you speak in child like terms that would be amazing.

"You moved a block with content on a layer not related to anything you move to/from most likely." for example I'm not sure what this statement means and why does exploding the block make it so that I can move it to other layers now.

sorry if these questions are stuff that I should already know the answers to.

Thank you so much for your help.Cat Happy

Message 7 of 7
WarrenGeissler

@Anonymous

A block is a collection of AutoCAD objects nested together and given a name (Chair, Tree, etc.). As a block  you can copy and move them easier than if they were separate objects (lines, arcs, etc). Another benefit is that if you edit one - then ALL copies in your drawing update.

If the objects that go into a block are created on Layer 0 then the block and all of it's individual objects (lines, arcs, etc) go on the layer you select. Layer 0 is our "Transparent" layer.

If the objects that go into the block are created on any layer OTHER than 0 (Layer CHAIR for example) then those objects STAY on that layer, even if you put the block on a different layer (Layer FURNITURE for example). The BLOCK (parent) is on one layer (FURNITURE) while the objects making up the block (the lines, arcs, etc) are on layer CHAIR. This method forces the block objects to always take on the properties of the layer they were created on - while the parent block visibility can be controlled separately. Example - I can have the chairs take on the properties of the layer CHAIRS, the beds take on the properties of the layer BEDS, etc. and have them ALL belong on the layer FURNITURE. If I FREEZE the FURNITURE layer, they all go away. Otherwise I can control them each by their individual layers.

Warren Geissler
Drafting Manager Denver Water

Please ACCEPT AS SOLUTON if this works
(...and doesn't melt your computer or cause Armageddon)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report