Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

memory allocation error

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
11727 Views, 15 Replies

memory allocation error

Has anyone out there had success plotting from a printer in Autocad 2000 or Autocad 2000LT with a Windows 7 operating system? If yes what type of printer are you using? I keep getting a memory allocation error when I try to print from the HP printers I have: HP Designjet 500ps, HP Photosmart 7760, and HP Deskjet 895cxi.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Charles_Shade
in reply to: Anonymous

Is this related to your other thread?

In case its not and so others will know:

You have already applied the LT 2000 Printing patch

You have spoken with HP concerning this

You have downloded the latest HP drivers

You also mentioned that you had found solutions to other printing problems with Win 7 and your older software.

It is likely that you will never be able to get LT 2000 and Win 7 to speak to one another.

And I am not positive but I do not beleive that you ever answered if you have tried printing thru just a Windows system printer.

No idea if LT 2000 has the same Plot dialog but see the attached.

BTW - At this time we really do not care if you can get to your HP printers thru AutoCAD. Just if you can get to ANY printer and print ANYTHING at all.

(Maybe you already have but I do not know since the answer may be in another thread.)

Unless you want to go thru the same steps and ideas each time do not start a new thread on the same subject because you are not getting the answer you want in your original query.

Message 3 of 16
pendean

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Thank you again for your response and assistance, it is very much appreciated. My apologies for starting a new thread, I'm new to the correct protocul in this forum. This problem has become most frustrating but I'm oriented to problem solutions. Thank you for the attached screen shoot, immensely helpful, I was confused to what Autocad considered a system printer, I asked everyone I knew who uses Autocad and no one had a answer.

1. The printers I have are HP Designjet 500ps, HP Photosmart 7760 and HP Deskjet 895cxi.  

2. The new computer is an HP Compaq 6005 Pro Small Factor Desktop, 32 bit, running a Windows 7 OS. 

3. I have installed and uninstalled Autocad 2000LT many times.

4. I have downloaded the Autocad 2000 Plotting Update Patch, plotupdate.exe, after each install and reinstall of  Autocad 2000LT.

5. When installed everything in Autocad 2000LT functions except the plotting/printing functions.

6. With HPs tech assistance yesterday was able to get all the printers running on the Windows 7 computer on all applications except for Autocad 2000LT, which continues to display a " memory allocation error". The HP technician was very helpful and asked for a follow through email to him if we find a solution to the problem, he believes that the printers should work in this situation, but was not well versed in Autocad printer protocul.

7. My normal printing procedure is to use the "system printers", I have never used the Add A Plotter Wizard in Autocad before yesterday, only used this procedure as a recommendation by the HP tech.

8. On my Vista computer that runs Autocad 2000LT printing successfully, I only use the "system printers". I did try the Add A Plotter Wizard here also in an attempt to compare the two OS, it does not function in the same fashion that it does not function on the Windows 7 computer.

9. The Vista OS computer is my laptop. I purchased the new computer to upgrade my malfunctioning PC running XP. This old XP computer also ran Autocad 2000LT successfully with no problems. Before I purchased this computer the computer store allowed me to install Autocad 2000LT to make sure it would function in Windows 7. It did function perfectly but we did not try printing, only assumed that it would print because everything else was functioning.

10. In this new Windows 7 computer, except for Autocad printing, all my older applications are running successfully, including ViaDIRECT Ultralite, a electrical drawing program which runs within Autocad. It is this program this is important to my business. ViaDIRECT is out of business but their program is very good and I am well versed in its operation.

11. I am curious if anyone out there has Autocad 2000LT printing on a Windows 7 OS computer?

Thank you again for all your assistance, you are the only Autocad 2000LT experts that I have been able to find.

Message 5 of 16
Charles_Shade

One more question:

Are you installing the LT 2000 thru XP or Vista mode in the Win 7?

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous

Thank you for your response. In the first install and reinstalls of Autocad 2000LT on this windows 7 computer, I did not run this program in compatibility mode, so it installed with windows 7.

But per your response:

1. I removed Autocad LT, reinstalled in compatibility mode for XP, and downloaded the plotupdate.exe. Autocad works fine but still getting the memory allocation error when I try to plot to a system printer.

2. I then removed Autocad LT, reinstalled in compatibilty mode for Windows 98, and downloaded the plotupdate.exe. Autocad works fine but still getting the memory allocation error when I try to plot to a system printer.

3. I then removed Autocad LT again, and tried to reinstall in compatability mode for Vista, Autocad would not let me install, error message: "System requirement error, wrong OS, Autocad LT supports...............Windows 95, Windows 98".

4. I then removed Autocad LT, reinstalled using the "compability troubleshooter wizard" which chose the XP (service pack 2) mode, and then dowloaded the plotupdate.exe. Autocad works fine but still getting the memory allocation error when I try to plot to a system printer.

5. In all these modes and in windows 7, Autocad LT operated successfully, but would not plot to a system printer.

Message 7 of 16
pendean

>>>... error message: "System requirement error, wrong OS, Autocad LT supports...............Windows 95, Windows 98"....<<<

That may be one problem, LT2000 is not supported in Win7: that means there will never be a fix for it or it's abilities/lack of from Autodesk, HP, or Microsoft.

Consider moving your followup post to the AutoCAD 2000 forum, where fellow 2000 version AutoCAD can assist further (solution should be very compatible with LT2000 if any exists) since most of us here don't run that old a software version:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2000-2000i-2002-Archive/bd-p/28

There appear to be many "memory allocation error" posts with many replies, it seems to be a common problem in many versions of Windows too:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&location=Board%3A28&q=me...

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

That's pretty much what Autodesk said, that Autocad 2000LT is not compatibile with Vista or Windows 7 and that they no longer support anything older than 2010.  I would upgrade but my electrical drawing program which runs within Autocad does not operate in new versions of Autocad LT.

What I'm not sure about is why Autocad 2000LT runs on my Vista OS computer and prints successfully.

And why it even runs on Windows 7. It operates perfectly,  except when you try to print.

When I try to print to a system printer, for example HP Deskjet 895 Cse, the memory allocation error pops up, then a warning pops up, "HP Deskjet 895 Cse: This plotter configuration cannot be used. Either the driver cannot be found, the device cannot be cound, or the driver has a problem".

1. The driver cannot be found. This printer operates from other applications, so I would assume that the driver has to be there.

2. The device cannot be found: This printer operates from other applications, so it has to there and connected.

3. Or the driver has a problem: This printer operates from other applications but not from Autocad LT.

A. This same printer works with Autocad LT on my Vista computer, downloaded with the same driver. But when the driver is downloaded to a Windows 7 printer is it the same driver?

B. So is something missing in the printer drivers or is something missing in the plotupdate.exe?

C. I'm sure curious if any has been able to operate an older version of Autocad or Autocad LT on a Windows 7 OS.

D. Would you happen to know what versions/years of Autocad LT will operate on a Windows 7 OS?

Thank You for All the Assistance,

Ivan

Message 9 of 16
Charles_Shade
Message 10 of 16
Anonymous

Took your advise and searched through all the "memory allocation errors" in the Autocad 2000 forum, and low and behold I found this post:

Contributor

Re: Can I run AutoCAD 2000 on Windows 7
11-10-2009 11:16 AM in reply to: jdoverman
Information to help you load and run AutoCAD 2000 on your Windows 7 (64bit) system.
I had to upgrade from Windows 7 Home edition to Windows & professional ($90.00)
Then I downloded Windows virtual PC and Windows XP Mode (free download). The Windows XP Mode runs in the background (in its own window). I loaded AutoCAD 2000 Architectural Desktop from my software CD. As I was doing this I had to go to the program compatibility (start-programs-accessories-program compatibility - pick 'from C D drive') I changed the compatibility to windows 98/ me.

I was glad to have found this so I don't have to spend $1000 to $5000 to upgrade AitoCAD.

Also I have a driver that lets me run my HP 750c+ plotter on Windows 7 - 64bit if you need that.

So  I followed his directions:
     1. My system is Windows 7 Professional so I did not upgrade.
     2. Downloaded Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode (free download).
     3. Removed and reinstalled Autocad 2000LT.
     4. Restarted my system.
     5. Right clicked on the Autocad 2000LT desktop icon.
     6. Clicked on properties.
     7. Clicked on the compatability tab.
     8. Checked the box for: "Run this program in compability mode for:"
     9. Chose, Windows XP(Service Pack 3)
    10. Clicked apply and OK.
     11. Opened Autocad 2000LT, drew a drawing and IT PRINTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YIP YIP HURRAH!!!!!!!!
     Amazingly I did not download the plotupdate.exe this time and all the HP printers are working.
     And even more amazingly this person, jdoverman, is running Autocad 2000 on Windows 7, Pro, 64 Bit, which everyone told me was impossible! I would have bought a 64 bit computer in a minute if I knew it would have allowed Autocad to operate.
   It is unbelieveable how much negative misinformation I have received on this problem over the last 4 days, and here is someone, jdoverman, succeeding where almost everyone said it would not work or impossible.
   The power of perseverance and ingenuity.
  I cannot Thank You Enough for all the assistance and advice you have provided. It is enormously appreciated!!!!!
  Wishing You the Very Best in the New Year!!!
    Best Regards,
       Ivan
  PS  You woudn't know how I could contact, jdoverman, and thank him or her?

Message 11 of 16
Charles_Shade

Don't believe anyone intentionally gave you misleading information.

It would have been good to know your OS edition.

I did not know there was a compatibility mode in Home Premium. Thought it was just Pro, Ultimate, and Enterprise.

Let your HP Contact know about the compatability mode and needing Win 7 Pro or equal.

Glad you got it going.

You can post to jdorman's thread. If he's still there he'll see it.

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous

Thank you again for all your patience and expertise. Would never have solved this problem without your assistance. Have emailed HP already to inform them of the solution.

Very Best Regards,

Ivan

Message 13 of 16
pendean

>>>...where almost everyone said it would not work or impossible...<<<

We all assumed you knew how to run compatibility mode (see your reply #6 in this thread): shame on us for assuming you knew what to do based on your long elaborate seemingly-informed replies 🙂

Glad you did what everyone suggested finally.

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Actually I believe that there was some component missing in the compatibilty mode on my system. When I downloaded the Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode downloads that jdoverman had recommended I believe it corrected the missing component. During the download phase a popup stated that condition. I did try the compatibility modes before with no luck. So absolutely no shame on you, you provided me with excellent advise which lead me to the solution. I would have never found the solution without your expertise. The information that you and Charles provided was the only good source of knowledge on Autocad 2000LT that I have received. Every piece of advise lead foward.

Though I am amazed that jdoverman was able to get Autocad 2000 to run on Windows 7 64 bit. The computer store, Autodesk, and the supplier who I purchased the Autocad 2000LT all stated that was not possible. I would have much rather purchased a 64 bit system.

Thank You Again for all Your Patience and Expertise,

Wishing You the Very Best in the New Year!!

Best Regards,

Ivan

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous

I updated my computer from XP to Windows 7 64 bit. I broke down and purchased Longbow Convertor to allow me to run my old copy of AutoCad 2000. Everything eventually worked, except I could not print. I kept receiving a "Memory Allocation Error" message, then my printer would disappear from the menu.Very frustrating!  By accident I got it to work as decribed below:

I found this out totally by accident when I was trying to remove the grey area from the compatibility tab in Autocad 2000 properties, so I could change the compatibility mode to try getting it to print. After I backed up and changed the register I thought I’d try windows to see if I’d messed anything up. I didn’t get rid of the grey area, but the printing worked flawlessly. Go figure!

Message 16 of 16
accountanne

Thank you so much for your post - I was having the same problem with printing and with the programs functionality with windows 7.  I appreciate you sharing because you solved my dilemma too.

Take care.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost