Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lines not connecting in Autocad?

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
nick4YACU
8127 Views, 16 Replies

Lines not connecting in Autocad?

Hello,

All week I've been drawing site maps with no issue but today every line I make doesn't connect. What I mean is that normally I can connect two lines with polyline and have the option to join them together with one click, but now they just seem to overlap. This is making it very difficult to do anything, and impossible to do some things such as hashing.

Please help!  

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
devitg
in reply to: nick4YACU

@nick4YACU For better understanding, and maybe get further help, please upload such sample.dwg

Message 3 of 17
nick4YACU
in reply to: devitg

Here is the file. I can't connect any lines, but I also tried opening another file that I worked on previously and couldn't do that either, so I believe it is some sort of setting I accidently switched on/off

Message 4 of 17
Patchy

Message 5 of 17
nick4YACU
in reply to: Patchy

I am not, I am just using the basic AutoCAD LT 2021 for site maps and SLDs

Message 6 of 17
Patchy

Use osnap, it's a good practice.

That's the reason you can't use HATCH.

use snap.JPG

Message 7 of 17
imadHabash

HI,

This procedure complete when you add lines, arcs, or polylines to the end of an open polyline . in your attached CAD dwg you have single polylines with closed polyline .

Message 8 of 17
pendean

Q: how did you previously "connect" these lines exactly, that it does not work today? Explain, looking at your file it simply shows to us (no offense meant) you simply missed while drafting.

If you are not sure, please explain if you are new to AutoCAD as a drafter or not so answers are better tailored for your needs.

TIA
Message 9 of 17
devitg
in reply to: pendean

@pendean , It was , among others, my first error when I start drawing about 30 years back. 

Not know  about: extend, fillet, osnaps, and so on.

There is always a first time.........

Message 10 of 17
nick4YACU

Yes, I have only been using AutoCAD for about a month now so I am pretty new.

I may not be explaining it properly, but basically before when I tried to connect a polyline back together, it would "snap" together with a little green box on my cursor, all I had to do was click on it. Now I do not have this option, and instead the only way to connect them is to get them close, then zoom in and manually connect each end point. 

Everything worked fine before, but today when I got to work I am now unable to do this. I fear I may have simply hit a command or hotkey which is causing this issue, but no amount of googling has given me an answer

Message 11 of 17
pendean

What part of your posted DWG file was a "before" when it all worked as you think it did?
Explain your dilemma, show us what you are taking about exactly.

If you don't know how to do screenshots in Windows, here is a quick overview of the free tool that's ben around for 10+years to help https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

And consider taking some classes (with an instructor) to get you over these basic drafting tools/needs soon, you'll benefit from it all.

Message 12 of 17
steven-g

@nick4YACU wrote:

basically before when I tried to connect a polyline back together, it would "snap" together with a little green box on my cursor, all I had to do was click on it. Now I do not have this option

It sounds like you might just have turned osnaps off (F3) will get that back. Or you may have changed which osnaps are active for that you need to check your settings, type 'dsettings' and go to the 'object snap' tab I would make sure the 'perpendicular' is selected, don't turn them all on some of the settings would just add confussion.

Message 13 of 17
nick4YACU

It is not an issue with my file, as all of my previous files do the same thing now, it is an issue with a setting in my autocad. There is no way for me to get a screenshot of it working.

Before I could easily snap a polyline together, now I can't.

Say I try to draw a square with polyline. I draw the whole shape and connect the final corner, and the lines should easily snap together with one click. Now I can't connect the lines and they just overlap instead, as if they are in a different Z value

I apologize for not being able to explain it better. 

Message 14 of 17
nick4YACU
in reply to: steven-g

Oh man, that was it! I knew it had to be a simple setting that I messed up, I just couldn't figure out how to change it. I definitely just hit f3 on accident at some point.

Thank you so much! 

Message 15 of 17
pendean

Take a few classes @nick4YACU , sooner rather than later my friend.
Message 16 of 17
nick4YACU

Agreed, unfortunately that is entirely up to my employer at the moment. 

Message 17 of 17
jalvaroLAA3G
in reply to: steven-g

I had the same problem, all fixed now! Thank you so much for this solution!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost