Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layer Variable

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
759 Views, 7 Replies

Layer Variable

I am befuddled by a peculiar problem:

I have a coworker who "loses" 1 layer from his Xref when he Xclips it down.  When I open the same drawing with the same Xclip on the same Xref the layer is there. 

I think its a system variable, but I am not finding anything on the forums.

I appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Dan

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
rkmcswain
in reply to: Anonymous

Sounds like a layer filter on his end.
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 8
WarrenGeissler

Double check the Demand Load Xrefs setting (OPTIONS-OPEN & SAVE) on both systems.

Warren Geissler
Drafting Manager Denver Water

Please ACCEPT AS SOLUTON if this works
(...and doesn't melt your computer or cause Armageddon)

Message 4 of 8
pendean

What exact versions of AutoCAD are you both using?
What format DWG file is the top/xref files saved to?
Also, start ABOUT command in both seats and confirm if you both have the latest updates installed.
Message 5 of 8
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

This sounds like a layer filter as @rkmcswain suggested.  Can you check the Layer Properties Manager on both systems to verify that ALL is selected in the Filters column?

Capture.PNG

Would you like to attach a sample file so I can test if it shows up on my computer?

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: WarrenGeissler

This was the culprit, and we can now toggle XLOADCTL to make it work...but I'm still confused as to why.  Especially since only one of two layers is "vanishing" in the XCLIP, and the XREF is quite chunky, indexed, and otherwise a prime candidate for demand loading.  I would like to get to the bottom of this if possible.

We do have versioning discrepancies, but I was able to recreate the error. 

My version is O.154.0.0 AutoCAD LT 2018.1.1

Thank you all for your input,

Dan

Message 7 of 8
WarrenGeissler

You have to understand the full functionality of INDEXING and DEMANDLOAD. 

INDEXING adds spatial and layer indexes to the drawing  so the program will only load that portion of the drawing you ASK for. If you clip a specific area out, then when you load the xref, the program goes to the indices and finds out object-by-object and layer-by-layer ONLY what you need, and that is ALL it loads. It's not that the layer isn't there in the drawing - it's that according to the index, you aren't ASKING for the layer.

Warren Geissler
Drafting Manager Denver Water

Please ACCEPT AS SOLUTON if this works
(...and doesn't melt your computer or cause Armageddon)

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: WarrenGeissler

Thank you, Warren, for the depth in this post.  I thought I understood the concepts, but something still is not clicking.  I changed the indexctl from 3 to 2 in the dwg being clipped, and that resolved my issue, but I don't understand how.  Why does the layer index "filter" 1 layer off in the xclip?  Really, what is the benefit of having a layer index at all? 

@WarrenGeisslerwrote:

You have to understand the full functionality of INDEXING and DEMANDLOAD. 

INDEXING adds spatial and layer indexes to the drawing  so the program will only load that portion of the drawing you ASK for. If you clip a specific area out, then when you load the xref, the program goes to the indices and finds out object-by-object and layer-by-layer ONLY what you need, and that is ALL it loads. It's not that the layer isn't there in the drawing - it's that according to the index, you aren't ASKING for the layer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators