Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Join doesn't work but pedit Join does

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
1310 Views, 16 Replies

Join doesn't work but pedit Join does

Hi.

I am new to AutoCad and I don't understand why my polylines won't join.

Their ends are definitely touching in the same place and the Join command doesn't work. This is the first time it doesn't work for me. So I looked around the forum a bit and found the pedit command. Using the pedit join works and I don't understand why join in itself doesn't work. 

Thanks,

Nico 

Labels (3)
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
steven-g
in reply to: Anonymous

Normally when a command fails you get an error message at the command line? What was it, do you have the command line visible (or F2)?

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: steven-g

Command: J
JOIN 2 found
0 objects joined, 1 object discarded from the operation

Thanks for the quick reply,

Message 4 of 17
steven-g

Can you post the dwg with just those 2 objects is all we need.

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous

Here you go.

Message 6 of 17
steven-g

Odd indeed. Join does work if you either select only one line to start with (and the second when prompted).

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous

Ok, very interesting. Thanks, that will help. This is probably a bug with autocad itself right?

Message 8 of 17
steven-g

@Anonymous wrote:

This is probably a bug with autocad itself right?

I doubt it, but you never know, if I create two new polylines tracing over yours then those behave? but I can't see in the properties any difference.

Message 9 of 17
steven-g

Your geometry is a long way from the origin 0,0 which can cause some problems.

Message 10 of 17
steven-g

Your 2 polylines have a different elevation (Z height) if you increase the unit precision to 8 decimal places then the very last digit shows up the difference. This combined with the distance from 0,0 is probably the cause of the problem

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous

I thought this was a 2d workspace how can something have a z coordinate?

Message 12 of 17
steven-g

LT still has all 3 axis. Z doesn't alter all by itself but if you have geometry brought in from full AutoCAD then osnaps and geometry can affect what you do in LT. In this case it was an actual 'elevation' value. You would need to look at the drawing history to see why that is, we can't see that from just a drawing.

Do you get drawings from other people? or use blocks from a web site? 

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous

I received the drawing from a client, they might have worked with AutoCad 3D. That makes sense. But I still don't understand why Pedit Join works but just Join only works if you don't select multiple lines at once.

Message 14 of 17
steven-g

Unfortunately neither do I, possibly due to some level of precision within the internal programming but that would just be a guess. You might want to try posting in the feedback section, but at least now you know where to look in the future if you have similar problems.

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous

Yes, thank you very much.

Message 16 of 17
a_wanY4JUJ

I am having the same problem here! Then, how can we set the z coordinate at the same level? Is there any shortcut command for that?

Message 17 of 17
hwalker

@a_wanY4JUJ open up the Properties menu (CTRL+1) and change the Z value there

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators