Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hatch Patterns Ignored while Trimming, Not working Properly

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
WilliamKASPERARCHITECTURE
1371 Views, 12 Replies

Hatch Patterns Ignored while Trimming, Not working Properly

New to AuotCAD 2021(program I'm using) is the ability for the trim command to ignore hatch patterns. Set by the TRIMEDGES System Variable.  This wasn't working for me like it should've.  Variable set to 1, yet the hatch linework was still being used to trim.  I figured out this variable only works when TRIMEXTENDMODE is set to the new quick mode.  Is this the case for others? Seems like they shouldn't be linked like that. 

I prefer standard mode for trim because 70%, of the time, I double [space] for quick trim then the other 30% I'm specifically selecting the cutting boundaries.  I'm hesitant to use the new quick mode because that 30% of the time I'd now have to enter in an extra command rather than the simplicity of double spacing.  Plus the 1 letter short cut in the TRIM & EXTEND commands are different from each other to select cutting/boundary edges/objects. In my mind this makes it more complicated to select the boundaries, using quick mode, as two additional unique commands are now required.  I know the work around to this is to use the "newer" feature where one can shift click while using the TRIM command to switch to the EXTEND command. 

Sorry if this is kind of complaining, no one likes to change their work flow if they don't have too and I'm just looking to see if it's normal for the TRIMEDGES System Variable to be ignored when TRIMEXTENDMODE is set to Standard (0)?  I love the idea of Hatches being ignored for the TRIM & EXTEND commands, and if it is operating normally Autodesk needs to update it to work with standard mode.  

As a side note, the new ability for TRIM to delete objects that do not have a cutting edge, also will not work when TRIMEXTENDMODE is set to Standard (0).

Edited for spelling

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

If I am following you correctly, what you want hasn't been an ability in any previous or current versions. If not, post a DWG file, explain what version did what you wanted, and explain step by step how we can try and reproduce it.

If you wish to make suggestions or share an opinion about functionality of the software you are using, Autodesk provides a good venue for it over here, help yourself anytime as often as you desire https://www.autodesk.com/company/contact-us/product-feedback

>>>... shift click while using the TRIM command to switch to the EXTEND command. ...<<<
That has been a feature of TRIM and EXTEND commands for many versions now, it's not new.

HTH

Message 3 of 13

OR.... do you mean this ability in LT2021 and LT2022 that I am reproducing here

LT2022.PNGLT2021.PNG

Message 4 of 13

Yes that ability in 2021 & 2022.  I know its new and not in any prior version.  The "issue" I have is when TRIMEDGES is set to 1 (to allow the ability) and TRIMEXTENDMODE is set to 0 that ability no longer works. 

Set  TRIMEXTENDMODE to 1 and then the ability is back and TRIMEDGES works as expected.  

I couldn't find anyone else experiencing this so I made this post.  I'm curious if it's working properly or if something else is going on?  If that's how it's supposed to work then ok, I'll just hope they improve upon it in later versions.  I will defiantly use the resource you provided to bring this to Autodesk's attention. 

Message 5 of 13

Seems to be working fine for me, see my screenshots from the fully updated LT2021.1.1 that I am using in Widnos10Pro: am I doing it correctly?
what version as listed in ABOUT command are you using in LT2021? and your OS?
What hatch pattern are you using exactly?
is your issue limited to one file? One hatch pattern?
Message 6 of 13

OS Windows 10 Pro

Version LT2021.1.1 

All hatch Patterns and the one in the example is the standard brick hatch

Trim 1-0.jpg

Trim 1-1.jpg

Notice how I've changed/set the system variables before hand and both times TRIMEDGES is set to 1. In one example it works,  the other it does not.

Message 7 of 13

These are different, that's the important difference, it's a both settings together or not at all

pendean_0-1642431488778.png

Message 8 of 13

Ok. That's what I've been after.  So it's a both setting.  I accept that. Don't like it and wish it wasn't but it is what it is.  

Thank you very much for your time.  

Message 9 of 13

So on this same topic, I notice this  (in AutoCAD LT, Product version: R.172.0.0 AutoCAD LT 2021.1.3):

There is no EXTENDEDGES setting.

When TRIMEDGES is set to 1 (Trimming and extending hatches with Quick mode is set to use hatch edges only). Love this.

Wanting the same for EXTEND.

If you agree that this is not available, I will post up on the Product Feedback site.

Message 10 of 13
pendean
in reply to: sparchitects.s

@sparchitects.s Are you by chance just totally distracted by the naming of the one tool that works for both commands? Or something else? Please elaborate on your exact need.

TRIMEDGES works for both TRIM and EXTEND, but if you just need to have that other name then just add it your your shortcuts so you can use it too https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-lt/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/Au...

pendean_0-1677863903569.png

Message 11 of 13

Please see image attached.  I'm hoping it will explain my issue.

All commands were performed with TRIMEXTENDMODE set to 1.

Message 12 of 13
pendean
in reply to: sparchitects.s

@sparchitects.s wrote:

Please see image attached.  I'm hoping it will explain my issue.

All commands were performed with TRIMEXTENDMODE set to 1.

Ah, I see: you missed this one sentence in HELP for TRIMEDGES variable, there is an extra step you need to do

pendean_0-1678115972481.png

Message 13 of 13

Yes, I did miss that. 

Not intuitive... but Help did explain that, and it does work!  Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost