Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

deleting a block

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
112700 Views, 11 Replies

deleting a block

i have 2016 autodesk lt

i can create blocks but i cant delete so they amass.... the instructions from auotdesk as follows:

1.) select insert tab 2.) block definition panel 3.) block editor 4.) select block 5.) block editor tab 6.) visibility panel 7.) visablity states 8.) select visibility state (delete or rename)

... i cannot get past step 5) 

appreciate some advice ... cheers

rick

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Charles_Shade
in reply to: Anonymous

PURGE is the Command you want.

Though if there is an instance of the Block in the DWG you will not be able to delete it.

Unless... You are not trying to Delete a Block at all and are just wanting to Edit it. Though when you put Delete Block in the Help window the first item that comes up deals with Vis States. I can understand the potential confusion.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Charles_Shade

You're a gem . thx
Message 4 of 12
mariomtzb89

Thanks, very helpfull.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

This tool seems to be too much.  I just want to blow out a few blocks, and if I do the Purge, it is going to destroy a lot of blocks I want to keep.  Why can't I just pick a few blocks in the list and delete them without having to go through the huge purge list?

Message 6 of 12
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous And how exactly would the program know which blocks to purge if you don't go through the list to select the ones you want gone (or keep)? What criteria would it use exactly? Who would make those selections on your behalf and get it right all the time?

In case you never knew, PURGE command's pop-up only lists items you can purge, it does not list ALL blocks that are in your file.
Message 7 of 12
BArhoumT
in reply to: pendean

wouldn't it make sense to go tot the BLOCK panel, select the block/blocks you'd like to delete, Select "DETACH FROM DRAWING" then select  DELETE BLOCK ? this way the block within the drawing will remain but the Block in the Pallet will be deleted.

There are often times OLD BLOCKS become history and are no longer required especially when you're using Design Centre and you have a master DWG which does contain a lot of stuff you still use and a lot of old stuff you no longer need, such as old blocks.  However this doesn't seem to exist in AUTOCAD LT, I don't know about AUTOCAD because I don't use it. IF someone in the AUTOCAD DESIGN world is reading this could you be kind enough to implement this simple feature or enlighten me on how I can achieve this without having to look for the 1000 or more blocks located  in a drawing. often surveyors use POINTS and make them into blocks, yes , one point for every level they plot, and it runs into the hundreds and they certainly do accumulate.  I have a MASTER drawing which has a uniquely named BLOCK for every single panel of weatherboard located on an external wall, I don't know who had the time to do that ! thank you 🙂

Message 8 of 12
cadffm
in reply to: BArhoumT

>>"wouldn't it make sense"
It would (on 'Current drawing' panel of your Blocks palette), if the selected blocks are not in use.
For ideas and wish, write to Autodesk! (Idea forum or Product Feedback)

>>"However this doesn't seem to exist in AUTOCAD LT"
Also not in AutoCAD, but see Pendeans answer above: In case you never knew..
Ootb - that's all.

Perhaps it is possible to split your one-big-template.dwg into multiple for a better structure for a better handling?
Or in some cases, use of multiple Toolpalette-Palettes to create a better structure for your needs?

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
BArhoumT
in reply to: cadffm

I'm just saying; wouldn't it be good if in the BLOCKS panel you could select/multiselect all the blocks you no longer want, then select "DETACH from drawing" and then just delete them. Great idea I reckon.

too simple in fact.

Message 10 of 12
cadffm
in reply to: cadffm

I just answered,

@cadffm  schrieb:

>>"wouldn't it make sense"
It would (on 'Current drawing' panel of your Blocks palette), if the selected blocks are not in use.
For ideas and wish, write to Autodesk! (Idea forum or Product Feedback)

👍

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 11 of 12
RSomppi

Maybe you should try a different way of managing your blocks.

Message 12 of 12
RobDraw

@BArhoumT wrote:

wouldn't it make sense to go tot the BLOCK panel, select the block/blocks you'd like to delete, Select "DETACH FROM DRAWING" then select  DELETE BLOCK ? this way the block within the drawing will remain but the Block in the Pallet will be deleted.

Huh? 

@BArhoumT wrote:

There are often times OLD BLOCKS become history and are no longer required especially when you're using Design Centre and you have a master DWG which does contain a lot of stuff you still use and a lot of old stuff you no longer need, such as old blocks. 

As suggested by @RSomppi, you need to do better block management.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators