Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom block dimension arrowhead not connecting to baseline

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
benJL32H
229 Views, 4 Replies

Custom block dimension arrowhead not connecting to baseline

Hi All,

When using a "user arrow" (custom block) as the arrowhead type for dimensions, the baseline no longer connects to either end/arrowhead. 

Interestingly, if I explode a dimension which uses one of the existing arrowheads ie. 'Architectural tick', edit the block (_ArchTick), and redraw it as the exact same custom block as before and save over- the problem is gone and the baseline connects. See below:

benJL32H_0-1693447335260.png

To note:

• Scaling the arrow size changes the space.
  • Spacing seems to be a consistent 1.0 in length.
  • Both blocks _ArchTick and the user arrow block are identical, with the same 0,0 origin.
  • This issue also persists when the dimension text doesn't fit between the end/arrowheads:benJL32H_1-1693447977481.png
    As you can see, there is a 1.0 length spacing apparent with the user arrow, but this time on the outside of the dimension.
  • Editing the user arrow block to add a 1.0 length line to meet up to the baseline does work (visually), however this creates an extra long extended line for the point above:benJL32H_2-1693448125289.png

Any idea as to why this is the case?

Any help would be much appreciated!!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
cadffm
in reply to: benJL32H

@benJL32H  schrieb:

>>"When using a "user arrow" (custom block) as the arrowhead type for dimensions, the baseline no longer connects to either end/arrowhead. "

Defined wrongly, you have to design the dim arrowblock 1 unit around the basepoint and

for a continuous dimline you have to draw one line from the basepoint to the left.

Good to see by using a test block like this, to understand how it works:

CADffm_0-1693461244949.png
This topic is not a good sample for a good documentation:

https://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2024/ENU/?guid=GUID-5D1F8D41-86EC-481F-ACA0-B169F0B91D00

>>"Interestingly, if I explode a dimension which uses one of the existing arrowheads ie. 'Architectural tick', edit the block (_ArchTick),"

>>"and redraw it as the exact same custom block as before and save over- the problem is gone and the baseline connects. "

You can see this fact often in AutoCAD (and other software): Internals / Standards can behave completely differently. You have to play with the customer rules, they can play how ever they want.

>>"Any idea as to why this is the case?"

That's normal and how it works, you have to learn how to (create blocks for arrow heads)

and to accept that not all things in the program works the same way as

the custom rules.

Have fun!

Sebastian

Message 3 of 5
benJL32H
in reply to: cadffm

Hi Sebastion, thank you for replying.

As I mentioned, I am aware that having a 1.0 length line to the left will enable the baseline to connect to the arrowhead, bringing with it the other downsides.

It doesn't sound like there's a solution for this then- the only workaround I can see is by saving over AutoCAD's preconfigured arrowheads with my own design.

Message 4 of 5
cadffm
in reply to: benJL32H

>>"As I mentioned, I am aware"

And I explained that is normal, nothing you can change.

>>"the only workaround I can see is by saving over AutoCAD's preconfigured arrowheads with my own design."

Right.

But think of the consequences in terms of a possible exchange of data, from file to file, both in your home and in the home of other recipients.

(I would prefer not to change the default elements in the program, this also applies to predefined blocks)

Sebastian

Message 5 of 5
benJL32H
in reply to: cadffm

That's a good point.

I guess I'll put up with the downsides for now.

Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators