Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chromium host executable

142 REPLIES 142
SOLVED
Message 1 of 143
Anonymous
358276 Views, 142 Replies

Chromium host executable

When running AutoCAD LT there are 4 chromium host executable process that are taking up a lot of resources.

Killing these processes improves performance dramatically.

Is there any way of stopping these proceses from starting when AutoCAD LT starts?

Regards,

Cam.

142 REPLIES 142
Message 61 of 143
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Since updating to Autocad 2018LT from 2013LT I have noticed my computer has slowed down considerably. Especially when a drawing file contains hatching or lots of blocks. It just stops dead when  panning around the Layouts. So I checked the Task Manager to see what spyware was running and found the Chromium Host Executable running with huge system requirements. So I go to Add Remove Programs to find out what it was thinking it was a browser that has self installed... nothing there so check properties of task manager od trouble making icon only to discover its Autodesk!! Why is it every time I upgrade to a new version of Autcad it slows down my computers noticeably.

If there is no fourth coming solution to stop this bloatware I will look for  ways to shut things off by hacks etc.

This is what I am left doing once again with this new version of AutCad (2018LT) as I did with 2013LT!

See attached screen grab of my 64bit computer with 16 GB of memory when it is NOT running Autocad, but the Chromium Host executable is sucking 17% CPU.

Thanks Autodesk.

Message 62 of 143
matt
in reply to: pendean

This actually worked.  Takes a second.  Got it here.  Don't know if it causes other issues yet.

"Okay so I tried all the methods above, and the only one that actually killed it was to go into task manager, under "startup" right click the Autodesk icon and disable, then go into "details" and right click -> "end process tree" on the autodesk desktop program. That immediately killed all the clones of acwebbrowser.exe, and my computer is finally silent again..."

Great Wise One Say:  "Intelligent Convo is the New Vent"

Message 63 of 143
matt

Also, this is about as good a machine as you can get for Autocad.  It's quite a ways beyond what's needed.  I know what major firms use, firms with thousands of engineers and architects.  A $1,500 machine will do 90% of what you need in Autocad.  I've read your replies and I'm not sure you are understanding the issue here.

Thanks

Message 64 of 143
pendean
in reply to: matt

I don't think it's machine related: it's apps calling these executables.

>>>... I'm not sure you are understanding the issue here...<<<
Doubt it but don't forget, like you I use this software all day in production for work for paying clients needing cad output, I run AutoCAD all day long and our office runs AutoCAD/LT/ACA all day long and we do not have any of these issues. But we also ensure we are not running any bloatware either. We also are not running on $1500/ea new PCs either.

No one here without an Autodesk "Employee" tag is sitting in a sealed lab running perfect equipment: we are all real world users. You are only conversing with fellow end users and customers of AUtodesk.
If you are getting flustered by the tab under my signature then read all about it here http://www.autodesk.com/expert-elite/about
Message 65 of 143
Anonymous

how to i kill this program when im not running autodesk? because every time i kill the cpu guzzling program it just pops back up!

Message 66 of 143
matt

Hi.

All I know is I did this, what I found in another post:
"Okay so I tried all the methods above, and the only one that actually
killed it was to go into task manager, under "startup" right click the
Autodesk icon and disable, then go into "details" and right click -> "end
process tree" on the autodesk desktop program. That immediately killed all
the clones of acwebbrowser.exe, and my computer is finally silent again..."

Not sure what you know about computers. Me, I try to know as little as
possible. Gotta' get work done, not screw around w/ stupid computers.

So to implement this, while I was in Autocad I hit the cntrl-alt-del keys
(control, alternate, delete) then you see "task manager" and open it. Then
go into "startup" and do what the above post says. This killed it
permanently for me. Haven't had a problem with Chromium since, except it
seems to be running under Bonjour now, but it's not using much of the CPU at
all. Very very little and it doesn't seem to be a problem. Originally it
was running under the Autocad icon when I was in task manager. Apparently
Google Chrome uses Chromium too, but not sure how that relates. I looked
into that until I saw that post.

I noticed that I don't seem to be running Autocad 360 but I'm not sure if I
am or not, and not sure if it has anything to do with it.

I'm running Autocad 2018 Lt. I'm also not sure why I got autocad 2018 but
it was available in my account so I downloaded it. Not sure if that's
relevant either.

F.Y.I.- I'm refuse to get into the finer workings of computers. I'm not
into it. But it might be that, as you may know, computer chips are based on
silica, as are all life forms of life at the atomic level. It's clear to me
now that computers have finally developed their own form of intelligence,
and that they communicate with each other. No one knows how yet.

With me I'm sure they know that 1) I don't respect their stupid community
nor their religion, and, 2) if a computer f's w/ me, I will relentlessly
pursue a solution and eventually conquer the computer. Like Trump dropping
an MOAB on Afghanistan. Same idea. Many a program has been either
destroyed or deleted and reloaded (which is like death to one of those
miserable computer life-forms). So they all know who they are dealing with
here. Only thing I'm worried about is, as you must also know, computers
have infected every aspect of our lives. I'm sure they are all watching me
and people like me. Therefore I'm very cautious now. Like when driving my
Ford Fusion, which is computer controlled, and like, say if I was ever in a
hospital hooked up to all that computer stuff- gotta' watch out. They could
make my Fusion lane control go off and cause me to get into an accident, or
inject me with a drug overdose. And I know they would, given the
opportunity.

Good luck. Hope all the advice is helpful. Let me know. And beware.

Thanks,

Matt
Message 67 of 143
pendean

Kill all the other Autodesk running apps and see if that helps.
Message 68 of 143
georgehobel

OK... Im new to this... to AutoCad I mean.... and I'm not the sharpest tool in the box when it comes to IT stuff.  I've been noticing lots of snags in my system when using AutoCad, so I went to the task manager and found a list of chromium executible files.. I tried closing some of them, not knowing what it would cause, but the computer wasnt working anyway, so one or two clicks shouldnt hurt too much right?... (i told you im new at this).. I guess I wasnt surprised when the files re-openend automatically... it became a game of whac-a-mole... lots of fun, but you could do serious damage to your lap top if your using the touch pad.  Well... i didnt cause any harm to the system, but the glitches were getting annoying....so i googled "chromium executible files" and that brought me to this page.  I had no idea that it was a CAD related issue.... It's also surprising to see so many with the same problem.  Kind of like going to an AA meeting and finding out out that half of your friends have been members for years... I think my solution will be to upgrade my machine when I renew my license and do a fresh install.  There's no way I'm uninstalling this AutoCad program with all the trouble it took to get it installed in the first place.....

George Hobel
Reflections of Charlotte
Residential Building and Design
Message 69 of 143
Anonymous

As a cyber security professional, I personally don't want residual software running on my PC when an app on my system is closed.  If AutoCAD cannot be configured by the user to only run services and executable files once the app is launched, and shut them down upon the closure of the app, then that's a problem for your users.  Not only from unnecessarily using a few megabytes of memory, but from leaving unnecessary executable programs running that can be potentially exploited by hackers.  Software companies have a responsibility to design and develop software that only runs when needed / requested by the user, and with the least privilege needed to perform tasks, whether or not they believe it taxes the system's memory.

I hope Audodesk leads the way on this, and refactors their software to allow users more control over how intrusive *your guest application* is when running on *our personal computing systems*.  People use their computers for personal banking, medical records, and all sorts of personal reasons for which having extra processes running behind the scenes exposes those same people to added risk  / potential avenues for malicious hackers to infiltrate their systems.  I strongly recommend all companies like yours consider not just being responsible with processor and memory use, but also the information security of your users, and your ethical responsibility to minimize intrusive / residual processes on personal computing property of your users.

Respectfully,

Joe Ers

Message 70 of 143
Anonymous

Kudo's 123projektai.   I hate to use the sledgehammer approach, but what does Autodesk think it's doing?  Half of my CPU was burning on aswebbrowser.exe, HALF!, and my total CPU was at 64%.        Another program crashed, and that was the last straw.     I finally gave in, and renamed the offender to acwebbrower.exe.off, and my total CPU is back to 10%.   I've restarted, etc, and everything seems to be working Ok, even Chrome.   The program is still there, and I can change the name back, if any issues come up. 

I also logged out of A360 & Help, as pendean suggests.   It all helped.   I'm running LT on a quad core with 8GB.   aswebbrowser.exe was located in Program Files (x86) >Autodesk>Autodesk Desktop App> AcWebBrowser.     Having a CPU problem because of a bad piece of software is disheartening.  I hope Autodesk can address this.     (Funny, I've been using LT 2017 for months, and this problem didn't appear until today.  Did something just it switch on?)

Message 71 of 143
Anonymous

Autodesk Maya user here. Me too annoys the acwebbrowser.exe because it permanently consumes processor time and this makes my Notebook fans constantly running. So i digged a bit and found that it is the "Autodesk Desktop App" and its particular acwebbrowser.exe which causes the permanent activity, not the instances of acwebbrowser.exe which are created by running maya. So the solution for me was to remove the desktop app.

steps:

1. rename "C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\Autodesk Desktop App\AcWebBrowser\acwebbrowser.exe" to "acwebbrowser.exe.off" you will need administrative rights to do that

2. kill the process "acwebbrowser.exe" either using the Taskmanager or a via executing a command: "taskkill /f /im acwebbrowser.exe"

3. go to System Settings -> Apps & Features and deinstall "Autodesk Desktop App"

There are still the "neccessary" app related acwebbrowser executables (for example "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\CLM\V3\MSVC11\acwebbrowser.exe") but they are created and stay silent and disappear at Application start/end.

Cheers

Message 72 of 143
Anonymous

Good work. I will try this.
Thank you,
Scott

Scott G. Williams, P.E.
William H. Nicholson Associates, P.A.
4 Rancocas Boulevard
Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054
swilliams@whnapa.com
ph 856-778-7447 ext. 28
fx 856-778-7744

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This E-Mail is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. Unintended transmission shall not constitute waiver of any privilege or privacy laws. If you have received this communication in error, please do not distribute it and notify us immediately by email: whna@whnapa.com or via telephone: 856-778-7447, and delete the original message. Unless expressly stated in this e-mail, nothing in this message or any attachment should be construed as a digital or electronic signature.
Message 73 of 143
Anonymous

A lot of the responses from those who see no problem are more than a little tone deaf.  As with many others, I run a lot of things at once.  When I shut down software, I want it shut down dammit.  If I turn off my computer, reboot, and still have a program that is not running suck up 20% of my CPU, it's not a hardware problem, it's a software design FAIL.  It's a bit like I moved out of a rental house, took my stuff, but still return to use the bathroom whenever I like.  I imagine some on this forum would suggest the problem is that the house should have been designed with an extra bathroom.  AutoDesk needs to fix this, but for me, I'll rename the file as suggested.

Message 74 of 143
matt

You speak blasphemy, my brother. The computers are watching all of us. They'll make you pay.

You should repent. Think of what you're saying.

Re-post and say you realized it was all your fault you're having the problem. Apologize. Say your computer didn't have the right ram, you don't use it properly, and just didn't understand but now you da Amy you're sorry. Say you loaded incompatible software. You didn't buy the right updates. Say anything. .

If you get the machines mad they will take it out on all of us. You'll see.

Message 75 of 143
alun001

This subject is such a waste of time!

There are plenty of 'experts' out there who blame our lame computers as they would never admit there's a flaw with the software. I'm kinda tired of justifying the spec of my system, which is actually a server class machine, when it grossly outweighs the specs listed for my Building Design Suite package.

And just to be clear, I currently have only AutoCAD 2017, vault pro and the Autodesk Desktop App running, but there are 19 incidents of acwebbrowser running when I look in task manager!

We all need to move on as there's clearly never gonna be either an admission of a problem or a fix for it.

Message 76 of 143
Anonymous

One of those Chromium host executables is eating up 10-15% of my processor power even when all other programs are not running and it is causing a heavy load on my CPU fan.  F-me...  Going to have to uninstall.

Message 77 of 143
Anonymous

I'd like to prevent Chromium host executable from starting without me knowing about it. It's taking 35% of my CPU power and I do not want that. 

I rather not to uninstall autocad in order to get rid of it. So I would like to know if there is any way to disable it from the settings menu

Message 78 of 143
Anonymous

You could try the method i wrote in post 71.

Message 79 of 143
Anonymous

"You are overthinking the amount of impact it has on your system"... 

I run AutoCAD 2017 on the background while busy with other software, and its using 30% CPU full time (one core). If i close Acad, then the chromium host executable comes instead, also using 30% CPU. And the best of all? If you kill the process, it restarts instantly! Way to go. 

On both my laptop and my desktop PC (both with clean W10 install) I have nothing but bugs, crashes, massive CPU use, extremely slow responding software. 

Reading back forum posts going back years ago I'm not that confident that anything happens at all with these problems. Nice way to treat your customers. 

Message 80 of 143
matt

There's no reason something in the background needs that much CPU.

My chromium still runs after it was deleted as per that other guys post- the means to kill it, but now it only uses a percent or two of the CPU intermittently.

And I'm greedy. No cyber entity gets CPU on any machine of mine unless there's a reason. Otherwise I'm hoarding it, unused, all to myself. Sorry.

Supposedly Autocad has a release/patch to fix this now anyway, and it supposedly fixed 20 other things, so the discussion is mute. Haven't loaded it yet.

Plato once said "I overthink, therefore I am. More".

Go Plato!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report