Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD LT 2017 Freezing while using F keys

136 REPLIES 136
SOLVED
Message 1 of 137
eoliver
26852 Views, 136 Replies

AutoCAD LT 2017 Freezing while using F keys

Whenever I use the F keys mid command, AutoCAD LT becomes unresponsive. Basically, if I enter F8 before i start a command, it works find. However, If I am in the line command and hit f8, the entire program freezes and becomes unresponsive until i click over to my other screen and then click back. Then the keyboard is unresponsive but i can cancel the command with right click. Has anybody else experienced this? And if so, what did you do to fix it?

I just updated to the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Until then, I had no issue.

136 REPLIES 136
Message 101 of 137
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous
Message 102 of 137
Anonymous
in reply to: Martin_Langolf

Hi, I've encountered the same problem with my AutoCAD 2016, F8 works just fine if you are not using any command, or if you click on its button under the command line, the nightmare begins when you are drawing or moving a line (using a command) and the press the F8 Key, when you do that Autocad freezes and stops working, I use this program everyday and this is really annoying because its one of the keys we use more when we draw. I didn't have this issue before Windows foced on me the Windows 10 Update a few days ago, please help us find a solution for this problem. Thank You, Danette
Message 103 of 137
Anonymous
in reply to: nagrommit

Yes, my F8 ortho key is freezing my drawing as well, but only in the middle of a command also. Like if I am moving something and hit the F8 - that's it - it freezes. I am working with 2 monitors, and I click the mouse onto the other monitor which doesn't have CAD on it and then click back to the AutoCAD where it froze and that unfreezes it. But very annoying as I lose my command anyway. I am using AutoCAD 2015 and just got updated to Windows 10, so I am assuming it's something to do with Windows 10. I'm using the Evoluent mouse wired.
Message 104 of 137
thejac

It has been mentioned several times earlier in this thread.  Autodesk is aware of this issue and working on a fix.  For now, the workaround is to set the variable TEMPOVERRIDES to 0.

Jesse Cook
The Land Group, Inc.
www.thelandgroupinc.com
Message 105 of 137
Anonymous
in reply to: thejac

Thanks - that worked. It was set at 1 and I switched it to 0. Have no idea what that means, but so far it is working!
Message 106 of 137
thejac

You can also temporarily do ORTHOMODE by holding down the LEFT SHIFT key, but only as long as you are holding it down.  If you set TEMPOVERRIDES to 0, it disables the LEFT SHIFT key for ORTHOMODE and fixes the F8 conflict somehow.

This issue has been known since early August, hopefully they are closing in on a fix.  Last I heard a week or two ago, they said they were working with Microsoft to resolve the issue.

Jesse Cook
The Land Group, Inc.
www.thelandgroupinc.com
Message 107 of 137
Anonymous

Just went backwards to try out the left shift key thing - very cool! That is a useful trick. Thanks again.

Message 108 of 137
Anonymous

You would be wise not to "roll back" Windows versions for just this simple temporary problem, which has an very easy work around.  Old timers still using Windows XP are giving really bad advise on here and don't realize that the newest versions of Windows have security / feature enhancements that are constantly being updated which far out way any need to go backwards for a simple problem.  I'd say leave rolling back to extreme cases where your program is just unusable.  OS updates are "forced on you" for your own good.

Message 109 of 137
thejac

I agree, you're either damned if you do or damned if you don't.  With the sophistication of hackers today, I'd rather be safe and work around an issue than make it easy for my PC to get owned.  Autodesk will learn from this and get better at responding more timely (hopefully).

Jesse Cook
The Land Group, Inc.
www.thelandgroupinc.com
Message 110 of 137
Anonymous

Thanks!  I agree with that.  If for nothing more than staying efficient on the job.  But the notion of security also makes sense.

Message 111 of 137
pendean

Sounds like a good marketing speach from Microsoft: love the scare-tactic "security/feature enhancements" poppy-cockerel too. Reality is, if your software is dead in the water or dose not operate as you expect it, then removing Microsoft OS updates is a valid solution. That's it.
Message 112 of 137
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Certainly. That makes sense, and I agree.  But, in this case, I'm not "dead in the water".  TEMPOVERRIDES works for now.  

What would be the motive for scare tactics? Microsoft did offer the update for free, and I willingly accepted.

Message 113 of 137
lifewell
in reply to: eoliver

I have the same problem. 

I am waiting for bug fix file.

Message 114 of 137
pendean
in reply to: lifewell
Message 115 of 137
dthomsen
in reply to: markus.kraus

Anything new on this? I am using the work around without problems.

Message 116 of 137
thejac
in reply to: dthomsen

This has been fixed as of AutoCAD / LT 2017.1.1 update recently released.  It should either show up in Autodesk Desktop App updates, or through your Autodesk Account portal (or your admin may need to get it for you).

AutoCAD / LT 2017.1.1 Update Readme

http://up.autodesk.com/2017/ACD/AutoCAD_2017.1.1_Update_Readme_Enu.html

Jesse Cook
The Land Group, Inc.
www.thelandgroupinc.com
Message 117 of 137
Martin_Langolf

Yes, this is correct.

AutoCAD and AutoCAD LT 2017.1.1 update addresses the described behaviour.

Martin Langolf
Message 118 of 137
s.lawrence
in reply to: Martin_Langolf

Hi All,

I've got a problem with a user that I haven't read about here:

We have recently (in the last two weeks) updated our system to Windows 10, and in doing so I loaded AutoCAD 2015 onto one of my users laptop.

We all had the F8 freezing problem and the TEMPOVERRIDES switch fixed the issue for all of us.

However, when he takes his laptop home and works locally, the problem re-arises (Checked TEMPOVERRIDES as being both 1 & 0). He also gets a volume bar thing come up in the top left hand corner when he presses F2. I've asked if he uses a different keyboard and he has said he does; I've asked he does a few tests with different keyboards to see if that identifies an issue.

Anybody else had this?

Thanks

Message 119 of 137
pendean
in reply to: s.lawrence

No one is going to fix any issues you find with AutoCAD2015 in Win10: it's not being fully supported there http://autode.sk/1IY4C2X

Roll back to the older OS, or upgrade AutoCAD to 2017, or see if buying a fix from these folks will help http://www.longbowsoftware.com

Looks like the laptop is a gaming/music designed product that uses F-keys for it's own functions: turn that off in the laptop's BIOS, or there is an f-lock key that neds to be triggered, or the user must use the Fn button with the F-key to trigger an AutoCAD function. Sadly there is nothing AutoCAD can do about it from inside the program. Something about the laptop off your network puts back into place what you do not want.
Message 120 of 137
Anonymous

Please provide and update for AutoCAD 2016.   I have the same issue on my machine after installing build 1703 from Microsoft Creator Update.

Dell Precession T3610

Xeon E5-1620 w/ 32 GB ram.

I have no other issues with Cad.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost