Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AUTOCAD LT 2017 F8 Ortho Freeze

111 REPLIES 111
SOLVED
Message 1 of 112
adminjosh
165661 Views, 111 Replies

AUTOCAD LT 2017 F8 Ortho Freeze

I just installed AUTOCAD LT 2017 on my

Surface Book Windows 10 Pro

i7-6600U CPU @ 2.60GHz 6.81 GHz

16.0 GB

64 Bit

I am having issues with the F8 Command (Ortho) freezing or taking along time to respond (60 plus seconds). If I use the ortho icon in the bottom tool bar it responds instantly with no lag. Please help I use this key 5-10 per min or at least I use to...

111 REPLIES 111
Message 21 of 112
pattim
in reply to: pendean

It's just me. No server, just my laptop. I store the files on D:. When I'm done working on a project, I take it off the computer and put it on a backup removable hard drive. I'm using Windows 10.

Move, Copy....all the same. Freezes. I have to click somewhere else on the screen to get it to unfreeze. Same problem with ESC. To get out of a command gets hung up. I've gotten around all that when I turned off the hardware acceleration. I bought a new computer to make things better. This is like walking back in time 10 years.

Patricia L. Misyak-Peters, Architect, NCARB

PLM Architect, LLC
11 Windsor Road
Howell, NJ 07731

www.plmarchitect.com
Message 22 of 112
gouveianuno
in reply to: pattim

But It should work in all those environments anyway. It shouldn't matter if it is a lptop a desktop saving over the network or in your SDD drive, or what king of shoes you are wearing. It's suposed to work,  but people are having a hard time with this issue for years...its really strange that there's not fix for this.

Message 23 of 112
pendean
in reply to: pattim

Good to know: that matches my laptop and my home setup and I'm not seeing this (not MSI though).

Is 😧 drive also SSD? Or somethng faster than 5400rpm?
If you move the file to the C: drive, restart LT2017, and try it, does it still act slow?
Message 24 of 112
gouveianuno

We tried moving the file to a local drive (it was in a network drive) and the problem is still there.

It doen'st happen with all drawings, (luckily); we'd say around 5 to10% of the drawings tested. The freeze persists in the same drawings no matter what we do, including saving as DXF, previous DWG versions...And we are not considering wblock (as it brings other problems). There's not apparent similarities between these drawings... it's just frustrating.

Commands that, so far, trigger this: move, copy, explode.

Message 25 of 112
pendean
in reply to: gouveianuno

Message 26 of 112
alpaltinok

Do you have blocks from third party applications / programs? Try exploding them all the way to basic shapes (lines, circles, etc.).

Tags (1)
Message 27 of 112
gouveianuno
in reply to: alpaltinok

That's not really a solution as we are neither going to explode block by block nor explode them all at once. The drawing would become unseless as we do relly on blocks to optimise our workflow. That spretty much Autodesks suggestion with the use of wblock or exploding. 

Message 28 of 112
betazero

Oh man this saved me ! Thanks!!

Message 29 of 112
Scottu2
in reply to: adminjosh

I had this problem too. About 2 weeks i tried to retrain myself to use the ortho icon in the tray, but its just faster to press F8. 

I believe it has something to do with detecting the Touch Screen mode.  I the autocad ribbon-home you will the the touch icon at the right side clue 1.  In Excel the Touch icon at the upper left clue 2.  My solution (workaround) is to Disable the Touch screen driver in the Device Manager - HID - Touch screen.

See attached image.

I hope this works for you.

Message 30 of 112
Scottu2
in reply to: Scottu2

Please discard my previous post.  I does not work.

Message 31 of 112
Scottu2
in reply to: Scottu2

I found that an application called Splashtop was causing the F8 Ortho Freeze problem, Autocad windows would lose focus.  I tested Autocad with tempoverrides=0 cad works normally, and tested with tempoverrides=1 cad freezes.  Set tempoverrides=1 and close Autocad.

Go to the Device Manager and expand the HID (human interface device) group.

DISABLE Splashtop Virtual (R-Click)

Notice the HID Touch Screen also disappears.

Remember to restart the Autocad session for this to work.

This works for me.

Message 32 of 112
doan.vanthai
in reply to: gpq

It work perfectly

Message 33 of 112
gouveianuno
in reply to: doan.vanthai

In our case, we do not have a touch screen and therefore no HDI reference in the device manager. The problem is still here and waiting for Autodesks effective response.

Message 34 of 112
mab.doom47

thank you son much..., for your tip...

Message 35 of 112
A7medZaki

thanks problem solved

Message 36 of 112
Scottu2
in reply to: A7medZaki

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback.

As an update, my Win10 did an update and the problem came back, even with Splashtop still disabled.

I set the TEMPOVERRIDES = 0 (per Pendean's original post) and finished my drawings.

Enabled Splashtop, Reboot, then disabled.

Message 37 of 112
Speaks66

Thank you that worked great! Setting the overrides to 0 solves a very frustrating problem....

Message 38 of 112
maic_bigfoot
in reply to: channing

WORKED PERFECTLY, GENIUS IT WAS A STRUGGLE IN FACT.
Message 39 of 112
sidiq123

thanks sir 

Message 40 of 112
nigel.stutt

I am using Autocad LT 2016 on a desktop machine (not laptop). Windows made a new large Win 10 update this week and since then using the F8 and F9 keys whilst in the middle of a command (to turn on/off ortho for example) has been freezing my Autocad for several minutes, more recently ending with a crash to desktop.

Tempoverrides to 0 seems to have stopped it happening for the moment (it seems).

I dont have Splashtop on this computer.

Any news on this from other users/official Autocad support about getting it fixed permanently?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost