XREF and linetypes - units problem

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
mw_APV
3746 Views, 14 Replies

XREF and linetypes - units problem

Hi!

I've problem with xref (map) which is drawn in meters - all my drawings are in centimeters.
I want attach this xref to other drawings without scaling linetypes. When I'am attaching xref i have information that xref in is meters, and when it's placed to my file (centimeters unit) map is in correct size (100x), but unfortunately linetype is different. 

2020-09-25_13h55_20.jpg

To better illustrate this problem here are the screens of dashed lines in xref (m) and my file with attached this xref (file in cm)

2020-09-25_14h00_25.jpg

 (xref - correct linetype)

2020-09-25_14h00_37.jpg

(attached to file in cm - linetype is to dense)

I've tried changing dwgunits, insunits, psltscale etc. but without effect.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Moshe-A
in reply to: mw_APV

@mw_APV  hi,

linetypes is an annotative objects and when xref is attached, AutoCAD accommodating linetypes. that mean, even if you bring in an xref in meters inside cm host, it should be fixed as long as the linetypes are coming from the same .lin library file.

to fix your problem first go to model space

to verify that you are using the same .lin file, reload all linetypes in both files, make sure these are standard autocad linetypes (not custom). than go to CM file make sure you are satisfies with ltscale if not fix it. than attach the xref and do REGEN. this should fix the problem.

if your problem is in layout than this is another issue.

some times even if you did every thing right it refuses to go. so be patient and retry again, reload linetypes and change ltscale and regen, eventually you will succeed 😀

cheers

Moshe

Message 3 of 15
mw_APV
in reply to: Moshe-A

I checked if linetypes are coming from the same .lin library file - yes they're from the same library file.

At this moment problem concerns model space, and line is standard DASHED linetype. 
LT scale factor is the same, for both files =1. 

Problem still exists..

I attached sample files (host and xref), maybe you'll be able to find what is wrong..

Message 4 of 15
cadffm

???

The XREF is set to METER (insunits 6)

The HOST is set to CENTIMETER (insunits 5)

In this case ACAD scaled the content 100times (1m=100cm)

Use command DIST and check the length of a line. (in both files)

Select your XREF and check the property "Unit scale" or something like this (i don't know the english name)

Xref and Block scaling has nothing to do with the linetypescale, sorry

HTH

Sebastian

Message 5 of 15
cadffm
in reply to: cadffm

In Short: There is nothing you can do "only for the Xref", just LTSCALE 100 for the whole Host-file.

Linetype handling |OFFtopic: and also the whole annotation feature|

is not really well designed for working with XRefs, specially not with foreign files.

Sebastian

Message 6 of 15
Moshe-A

@mw_APV 

here are the changes i made and it works

xref.dwg

1. celtscale changed to 1.0

2. object linetype scale change to 1.0

3. ltscale  set 100.0

host.dwg

1. celtscale changed to 1.0

2. object linetype scale change to 1.0

3. ltscale  set 10000.0

Moshe

Message 7 of 15
mw_APV
in reply to: Moshe-A

Thanks,

It's a solution if i have only one xref or all xrefs in meters drawn with the same units.
Unfortunately usually I have one xref in meters (map which is drawn by geodesist), host file in centimeters, and xrefs in centimeteres (from time to time in mm).
All those drawings have usually ltscale set to 1 and  themselves they looks ok, but after attach it to host file dashed line is to dense (drawing scale has changed, but linetype scale is still the same).
To conclude, is there any other solution to get good result without changing ltscale?

Message 8 of 15
cadffm

As i wrote in #4 / #5 , there is no setting to handle scaled xrefs/Blocks and linetypes.

The only way is: Set up object data (object linetypescale) this way, that all works fine

in your host. So you have to edit the xref files

If you like to see linetype well in each single file, you need to change LTSCALE

Sebastian

Message 9 of 15
mw_APV

Ok, I accept that ;(
Anyway changing linetype scale of every line on map seems to be troubles.
Do you know any fast way to change all linetype scale inside xref? For example by multipling linetype scale of every line (also those inside blocks) by 0.01?

Message 10 of 15
RobDraw

In order to avoid these kinds of issues, I always set the XREF files to use the same units as the host drawing. This also requires scaling the drawing.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 11 of 15
murray-clack
in reply to: RobDraw

Also... NEVER make entities as "ByEntity".  The linetypes from an XREF don't display well if they are "ByEntity".  Always create your objects "ByLayer"

Message 12 of 15
cadffm
in reply to: murray-clack

WTF is "ByEntity" ?

🤣

AND: The best variable choice for nested object(Block/Cref content), if you don't have a reason for another setting, is ByBlock

I guess thats also the value you tried to wrote about? 

Sebastian

Message 13 of 15
murray-clack

If you don't know what "ByEntity" is, you probably shouldn't be using AutoCAD.

But since you ASKED so nicely...

You can "physically" assigned properties to objects (i.e. Colour, Linetype, Plotstyles) that override what the layer settings are for that object.  

Making things By Entity is a cardinal sin for those CAD users who know what they're doing because it makes things difficult down the road if you need to CHANGE those properties (e.g. Change linetype from "dashed2" to "hidden2" etc).

It's "AutoCAD 101" stuff

Message 14 of 15
cadffm

thx,

so you mean by Entity, "ByEntity" doesn't mean one property value, it means all vallues except "ByLayer" and "ByBlock"

Thanks for the explanation, I thought "ByEntity" was a typo, but now it is clear that "By Entity" was meant

Sebastian

Message 15 of 15
RobDraw

@murray-clack wrote:

If you don't know what "ByEntity" is, you probably shouldn't be using AutoCAD.

Making things By Entity is a cardinal sin for those CAD users who know what they're doing because it makes things difficult down the road if you need to CHANGE those properties (e.g. Change linetype from "dashed2" to "hidden2" etc).

It's "AutoCAD 101" stuff

You shouldn't have capitalized "By Entity". That makes it look like and actual AutoCAD term and leads to the type of confusion you witnessed here.

You might be stuck in your 101 phase thinking in that the exceptions to good practices are "cardinal sins". Once you advance enough, you will realize that there are situations where the right course of action is to apply properties to objects individually. I mean, how hard is it really to "CHANGE" the properties of  objects?

Don't worry, one day you will get it. In the mean time, stop being so critical of people who have advanced beyond the 101 phase and say things that might seem out of place in your little box. They just might know more about AutoCAD and drafting than you.

Good luck!

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report