Wrong automatic paper size assignment

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
ВeekeeCZ
8649 Views, 8 Replies

Wrong automatic paper size assignment

Hi guys,

I have some layout and when I change the printer (to pdf) is automatically assigned smaller paper size. 

my usual print workflow:

- I create a layout with sheet size picked of my predefined plotter's *.pc3 (multiples of A4 format from 1x1 A4 to 3x10 A4) 

- when I need to print PDF, its usually very easy, I've just change the printer name to PdfCreator (or dwg to pdf) and pop up a dialog to pick either I want to use a default paper size or custom one which is the same as plotters. Choosing the latter, hit Ok and job's done.

- but for some paper sizes (like 10%) which are close to some standard format it assigns to them AUTOMATICALLY no matter if its little smaller or larger. I would not care it the latter, but smaller?? Then its really hard to change it.

Following SCREENCAST shows the first attempt where it works correctly, the second and other shows the issue.

Any ideas how to turn off this automatic assignment? Or adjust this to take just larger size? Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
cadffm
in reply to: ВeekeeCZ

When changing the printer, AutoCAD searches for the next paper size.
AutoCAD goes according to the defined sheet size and does not necessarily select the next larger sheet format.

This has been correctly recognized.

You have to worry about the fact that your sheet formats of the individual printers are in harmony.

I agree in my environment even the sheet format NAMES! Even if it makes no technical difference.

However, it is easier for automation because the leaf names are all known exactly (for macro script and command processes)

All printers have the sheet size A4, A4, A3, A0, A0plus - for PDF also A4and so on.
I remove all the sheet sizes which I do not need an Autocad can only make the right decision..

You can not turn off automatic search or behavior.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
kadmonkee

define all your needed sheet sizes in each of your PC3 files

adjust the printed sheet size (margins 0,0) for all sheet sizes, we use full bleed to sheets edge

remove all others not needed then attach a pmp file to the pc3 file this will help manage the sheet options

this method works well for us

If there is any information shared that is of value please give Kudos
If a solution is provided by any posters please mark them as Solved to benefit everyone else.
thank you
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

There's an echo in here???

Use PUBLISH instead and create full size PDF's

Define a named Page Setup for MODELspace plotting.

Right click on MODEL tab and select Page Setup Manager, select NEW, give it a name.

Then define plotting parameters like you were preparing to plot; select the plotter, paper size, etc., including "What to plot" window around border.

Click SET CURRENT, then OK and then close.

That page setup can be imported into other files via the IMPORT option in the Page Setup Manager. Verify plotting setup by using PREVIEW command.

THEN

Instead of plotting one file at a time, use PUBLISH to plot the files all at once by adding files to the list with the button showing the little green "plus" symbol.  That list can be saved and retrieved for future plotting.    Each file will use its current page setup for plotting.  You can let the page setup send the fie to the defined plotter, or create full size PDF's (single sheets or multi-sheet) by changing the PUBLISH OPTIONS and specifying a directory for the PDF's.

Personally I ALWAYS publish to PDF, without exception, even if I ultimately want a hard copy.  That way I always have a PDF for additional copies or to email.

I've never had any good luck publishing in background, slows EVERYTHING down so much its faster to publish in foreground and just wait on it, depending on the length of the list it doesn't take very long at all. I also don't open in viewer when done unless I'm only publishing one PDF, opening 117 PDF's is just silly, I prefer to preview the PDF's in Windows Explorer.

publish.PNG

TIP:  I publish from PaperSpace and when creating the PDF's the PUBLISH function names the pdf with the file name PLUS the layout tab name (it will always be MODEL form modelspace).  I rename the layout tab to match the current revision of the file so the created PDF's will contain the filename and revision in it's title.  File 31-17-1-4005 has the layout tab renamed to RA (issued for approval) so the resulting PDF name is 31-17-1-4005-RA.pdf

Message 5 of 9
ВeekeeCZ
in reply to: kadmonkee

@kadmonkee wrote:

define all your needed sheet sizes in each of your PC3 files

adjust the printed sheet size (margins 0,0) for all sheet sizes, we use full bleed to sheets edge

remove all others not needed then attach a pmp file to the pc3 file this will help manage the sheet options

this method works well for us

How? As I've said, I have predefined Paper sizes. One *.pc3 can include 5 custom sizes. So I have

PrinterName 2x 1-5 which includes these paper sizes

Custom 1: size for 2x1 A4

Custom 2: size for 2x2 A4

Custom 3: size for 2x3 A4

Custom 4: size for 2x4 A4

Custom 5: size for 2x5 A4

Then 

PrinterName 2x 6-10 A4

Custom 1: size for 2x6 A4

Custom 5: size for 2:x10 A4

Then 

PrinterNAme 3x 1-5 A4 ...custom 1-5

PrinterNAme 3x 6-10 A4 ...custom 1-5

Then 

PrinterNAme 1x 1-5 A4 ... 

PrinterNAme 1x 6-10 A4 ...

Message 6 of 9
kadmonkee

set up page setups to go with your layout tab.

Layout Tab 1 = Custom 1: size for 2x1 A4

Layout Tab 2 = Custom 2: size for 2x2 A4

Layout Tab 3 = Custom 3: size for 2x3 A4 etc.

the following images will depict the steps to create your pc3 and PMP files 

1. Page Set up Manager define your device (DWG to PDF.pc3) select Properties

PSM.PNG

Filter Paper Sizes simply uncheck the sizes you don't want or need then select the Modify Standard Paper Sizes

Filter Paper Sizes.PNG Modify Paper Sizes.PNG

Select the size you want to modify and select the modify button (I zero out all values) then proceed to all my paper sizes in the list

Printable Area.PNG

Next you want to save your changes ( Name it after the printer device)  you may want to use a Network location for company standards

SAVE PMP File.PNG

then you will want to attach this PMP file to the PC3 file- browse to the saved PMP file location select it and select Open.

now all the settings should be set for each sheet per this printer / plotter.

the same steps may be applied for custom sheet sizes.

Attach PMP File.PNG

If there is any information shared that is of value please give Kudos
If a solution is provided by any posters please mark them as Solved to benefit everyone else.
thank you
Message 7 of 9
ВeekeeCZ
in reply to: kadmonkee

Thanks you all guys for your suggestions and tips.

@kadmonkee didn't expected this exhausting answer since I know this workflow, but this brought me to an idea which seems to be a solution.

You know, since I have about 8 pc3 files each with 5 custom paper sizes I really did not want to replicate all of those now based on PDF creator pc3 file. But it seems like I only need to replicate those few problematic which is fine with me... even though the PDF Creator pc3 can include only one custom paper size so it would be one sheet per file... still good.

Thanks!

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Seems to me like a LOT of work to modify all your PC3 files, when a page setup to a PDF solves the issue entirely.  Then you can send the full size PDF to ANY plotter and print to fit.  I only need ONE page setup to plot ALL available paper sizes on ALL available plotters and I don't have to touch a pc3.  But your call.

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

FYI....When plotting something that is to scale you cannot "print to fit".

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report