Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wipeouts

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
s.handspiker
553 Views, 11 Replies

Wipeouts

What is the purpose of a wipeout if using them cripples you computer?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
pendean
in reply to: s.handspiker

@s.handspiker How do they cripple your computer exactly please? No issues here in our files across our offices.
what are your computer specs? Video card and driver version?
What is your exact AutoCAD version as listed in ABOUT command?
What is your Operating System?

TIA
Message 3 of 12
s.handspiker

I just notice that in any file I use them in functionality seem to get slower and slow. The file was fine then a few wipeouts later it's taking 5 minutes to change a block from one layer to another. every search I do blames X-refs, wipeouts and file size.

shandspiker_0-1678478368215.png

Nvidia Quadro P4000

windows 10

shandspiker_1-1678478631283.png

Message 4 of 12
pendean

Thank you for the screenshots: your system matches most of ours here.

How "many" wipeouts are in your file? Perhaps I don't have enough in mine to try and replicate the issue?
And since you brought it up: how many of those are in XREFs in your file? And how many XREFs are there?

And file size(s)?
Message 5 of 12
RobDraw

@s.handspiker wrote:

What is the purpose of a wipeout if using them cripples you computer?

They don't cripple my computer. Why do you assume that it happens to everyone?

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 6 of 12
Brock_Olly

I use wipeout in my 'holes' when drawing parts, sometimes I have over 500 blocks (same type of block so maybe this counts as 1?) with wipeouts in them and it doesn't seem to slow my system down.

rubenholvoet_1-1678713402957.png

Message 7 of 12
s.handspiker
in reply to: pendean

I use the wipeouts in blocks, usually about 1 wipeout per block and a few dozen instances of blocks containing wipeouts. So if I have more than 100 I would be surprised. As far as X-Refs, I have 9 X ref files, each of which contain individual floor plans (4 floors time 2 disciplines plus a single file X-Ref for electrical that contains 4 more floor plans) I keep as many of them frozen as I can at one time to reduce it's impact on processing. No more than one or two visible at once. 

I recently started doing this with the X-Refs to good effect, but started incorporating the Wipeouts and started getting some really annoying lag between commands. Stuff like: I wanted to change the layer a block was on and it gets hung up the second I open the layer dropdown box. Then entering and exiting the block editor became labored and then completing any command would cause it to hang up. It wouldn't be that bad but the hang ups would last for anywhere from a minute to a couple minutes. I can't see any logic to it, sometimes it does this and sometimes it doesn't. Opened the file this morning and it's fine again. 

Message 8 of 12
s.handspiker
in reply to: Brock_Olly

So it's got to be something else right. So what can do this on an intermediate basis. No one else in my office seems to have these problems and they don't seem to have any issues with my files. 

Message 9 of 12
pendean

@s.handspiker wrote:

...No one else in my office seems to have these problems and they don't seem to have any issues with my files. ...

Good to know: so perhaps it is a system issue then since it's not a software one otherwise everyone in your office would be equally crippled. Perhaps your IT folks can help you test with an all new login for you?

FYI it is more typical in a corporate environment for all of your Cs ought to be 100% clones of each other and each of you locked out from adding/removing software or driver versions to prevent straying from the norm. Perhaps yours needs a reimage if that's how they set you up.

FWIW we all use Wipeouts like you do, as noted by others, we probably how 500-1000 in any one of our files/xrefs at any one time too. Like everyone else in your office, we are not seeing such issues.

Message 10 of 12
s.handspiker
in reply to: pendean

I wish we had a few resident IT folks. We are a small firm in a small town. We have one independent IT guy who is impossible to get on the phone and even harder to get him fix issues like this.

Message 11 of 12
RobDraw

@s.handspiker wrote:

I wish we had a few resident IT folks.

There should be someone available for these "simple" things. In smaller offices, that usually falls on at least one person that does something else most of the time but is available for simple localized issues. Having multiple people that know this stuff is obviously an advantage. If this stuff falls on an unresponsive IT guy, the office needs to address that issue for times like these.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 12 of 12
pendean

@s.handspiker wrote:

I wish we had a few resident IT folks. We are a small firm in a small town. We have one independent IT guy who is impossible to get on the phone and even harder to get him fix issues like this.

Sadly, that is no way for you folks to run a business: good IT folks are plentiful, go found a new guy ASAP.

your fix seems simple enough for a knowledgeable IT person.

In the meantime, one of you in the office needs to log into this one problem PC as an all user account to test this one machine's problems and see if that makes it go away. You'll have this temp fix until you can find an IT guy to help you folks compete in business and service your clients like the pros you folks can truly be.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report