Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wipeouts Not Working Intermittently

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
TSneo5869
2709 Views, 12 Replies

Wipeouts Not Working Intermittently

Ok, so I have had this problem for a few years now but after searching and reading many many posts about this problem I still haven't found a definitive answer.  I have created a wipeout for equipment tags in my drawings and when I create a brand new one in a drawing and then copy it to any of the tags I need to bring on top of objects they work fine when I either publish or plot my drawing to either a file or one of our plotters. Then I save the drawing and when it is next opened that day or the next the wipeouts show up in the drawing but when I plot to file or plot to any of our plotters they do not show up at all. The frames show up in the plot when wipeout frame is on but that is it. The only way i can get them to work again in the same drawing is to delete all of the wipeouts, purge, audit and then create a new wipeout. This works but then stops working after a couple of plots. I have tried the Adobe PDF option and they work fine so i think I have it narrowed down to the PDF.pc3 not working. Now I can understand if it didn't work from the first plot but why do the wipeouts plot perfectly  using DWG To PPDF.pc3 then stop plotting correctly after a few plots. And I do have the merge control set to Lines Overwrite, and the wipeouts are on a separate layer that plots to 255,255,255. I have seen this problem on the forum as far back as 2006 so this is a known problem but I would have hoped that it would have been fixed by now. If anyone has any magic remedy it would be much appreciated. 

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
john.vellek
in reply to: TSneo5869

HI @TSneo5869,

Wipeouts have certainly been flaky over the years!  Can you tell me your OS and AutoCAD version?  I would like to take a look at a couple of your sample drawings that show your wipeout issues so I can try to duplicate them on my side and perhaps minimize future issues with them for

your workflow. I am happy to help if you can attach them to a  post.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 13
john.vellek

HI @TSneo5869,

I am checking back to see if you resolved your own issue. If not, I am here to help.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 4 of 13
TSneo5869
in reply to: john.vellek

Hello, and thanks for the replies but no the problem has not been resolved. My pc is running windows 10 and I am using AutoCad 2018, but this issue also happens on 2016 and 2017. And it happens on some of our Windows 7 machines as well. 

Message 5 of 13
john.vellek

Hi @TSneo5869,

I suggest that you verify that all your AutoCAD installations are patched and updated fully. I would also suggest that you verify that the most current video card drivers have been installed on the various workstations involved.

The next step is to attach some files that exhibit this behavior to a post so I can investigate.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 6 of 13
RobDraw

I agree with @john.vellek that wipeouts are buggy to say the least and avoid using them.

For equipment tags and other texts, consider using background mask.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 7 of 13
rculp

If the "TAGS" are TEXT or MTEXT use a background mask instead of a wipeout.

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
Civil-Structural Design Technician
(aka CADaver)
Message 8 of 13
rrien
in reply to: rculp

This is an issue with the 2018 Product, I have not had any issues with the earlier versions but then I do not use wipe out to clear the data behind my text, I use background mask instead as mention above by Randall.

What I have found is that the wipeouts are not even being recognized by the plot drivers of all of the Autodesk "Dwg to PDF" plotters. My guess is that when they added the new PDF plotters that something was tweaked and it messed with all of them to where the Wipeout will not plot.

Looking into Cute PDF to see if that one will work form a quick fix.

If anyone has a work-a-round please post it ASAP, I ma not the only one with this issue.

Search for "Wipeout does not work in 2018 Civil 3D"

you will find the other thread on this. 

Message 9 of 13
john.vellek
in reply to: rrien

Hi @rrien,

Are you working in AutoCAD Civil 3D 2018?

In plain AutoCAD 2018 my wipeouts and wipeout frame settings appear to work fine with the DWG to PDF drivers.

For instance, I drew a line and created a wipeout, plotted with DWG to PDF and the following plot is the result.

Capture.PNG

Then I turn of the Wipeout Frame and I end up with this:

Capture1.PNG

Is it possible to share one or your files where this  is not working properly?

John Vellek

Message 10 of 13
rrien

John the issue is not that wipeout does not work within the drawings, it does.

It is with the plotting. the Autodesk PDF plotters no longer will plot the wipeouts.

I opened a case on it. 

Message 11 of 13
john.vellek

Hi @rrien,

The images I included are from the resulting PDFs and not captures of the actual drawings.

At any rate, if you find resolution in your case, please come back and post the results.

Thanks for the contribution.

John Vellek

Message 12 of 13
rrien

Take a look at the this screencast:

https://www.screencast.com/t/umxcHwgy072d

I am not the only one with this issue.

But thanks for taking a look.

Message 13 of 13
rrien

Okay, I have found a work-a-round that will allow you to plot at least.

use this plotter and your wipeouts will show up correctly in the plot.

Pick "PUBLISHTOWEB JPG.PC3" yes it is a Jpeg, but at lease it is something that is usable for now when you have to send to a client.

It will default to your current sheet size, it will be the first in the list, pick that one as your sheet will (like mine) not exist in this PC3 settings, so you will need to add it.  other then adding your sheet, it was clean and clear, I used the highest resolution setting(again default) and it was perfect when I printed a 50% reduction of a 22x34 sheet.

My Adobe did convert it but I did not like the result, look really blotchy.

Hope this helps, my case is closed with a simple we do not have a solution for you at this time, I can only assume they will move it up to the bug list.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost