Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is difference between "AutoCAD Application" and "DWG LAUNCHER" ?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
toznal
4361 Views, 8 Replies

What is difference between "AutoCAD Application" and "DWG LAUNCHER" ?

Hi, there.

I think this is a simple question.

I'm always curious what is difference between "AutoCAD Application" and "DWG Launcher"

Please reply me !

Thank you 🙂

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: toznal

Hi,

"AutoCAD application" is just a pointer to the file "ACAD.EXE" of a specific AutoCAD version.

If you have more than one release of AutoCAD installed or you have more than one vertical product installed (like Map 3D, Civil 3D, AutoCAD Architecture, ...) then:

Assigning "AutoCAD Application (e.g. 2019)" to be used as default application for a double-click of a DWG-file then always this 2019 acad.exe will be opened when you double-click a dwg-file.

When you have assigned "AutoCAD DWG Launcher" as the default handler for DWG-files then a double click of the DWG-file will open that AutoCAD release (and vertical product) you had previously used or which is currently open.

HTH, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 9

If you have more than one product on your system, they both are listed as 'AutoCAD Application' on the 'Open with' list with no indication which is which! Eg I have AutoCAD and Civil3D on my machine but the 'Open with' list has the same icon for both so no way to distinguish them beyond a guess. Do you know how to tell the difference?

Edit: I'm using Windows 10, other operating systems might be different

Message 4 of 9

Hi,

>> Eg I have AutoCAD and Civil3D on my machine but the 'Open with' list

>> has the same icon for both so no way to distinguish them beyond a guess.

>> Do you know how to tell the difference?

"Open With" lets you only select the file, not any parameter and so you can't use this method to decide if plain AutoCAD or Civil 3D should be started.

To assign parameters you might create a BAT-file, there you can place the full start parameters for your acad.exe (so you also can apply the parameter "/product C3D") ... but that is definitely not a recommended method!

Easiest is always:

• let the "Open With" for DWG-files be assigned to "AutoCAD Launcher"
  • open first the product (AutoCAD or Civil 3D or ...) with the profile you like
  • and then use double-click in Windows Explorer (or drag & drop) to open the drawing file

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 9

That is how I normally work - with a few hiccups when I have both programs open at the same time and a drawing opens in the 'wrong' one because I forget to do 'open..' from inside the program. I was just wondering if there was a way to tell the difference.

Message 6 of 9

Hi,

>> when I have both programs open at the same time 

In general I try to avoid that, I had my issues with saved back profiles after closing the application then.

When I would have 2 times AutoCAD open I never use a double click to open a dwg-file, I use drag & drop (dwg-file to the command-line area) to decide in which task I want the drawing file opened.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 9

Didn't realise you could drag & drop - I just use the 'open' command but drag & drop might speed me up. Thanks!

Message 8 of 9
cadffm
in reply to: marianne.mcdonald

Drag'n'drop to STARTtab or Commandline -> open file

Drag'n'drop to editor by left mouse -> insert file

Drag'n'drop to editor by right mouse -> insert file, open file, xref file, create hyperlink to this file

Drag'n'drop to toolpalette -> create an 'insert'(file) tool

and... more.

- Sebastian -
Message 9 of 9
cadffm
in reply to: marianne.mcdonald

>"when I have both programs open at the same time"

Nothing to do with if or how many files are open in whatever how many instance and versions.

>"and a drawing opens in the 'wrong' one because I forget to do 'open"

AcLauncher will try to start a file "with the last used version" !

LastUsed = the last version who was closed (you will find an registry key, if you are searching for)

- Sebastian -

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost