Did you mean: 

What Are you Using to Convert AutoCAD Solids to CNC Machine Code

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
7437 Views, 7 Replies

What Are you Using to Convert AutoCAD Solids to CNC Machine Code

Hi, Fellow AutoCAD Users... 

I am curious to learn what technology you may be using to convert AutoCAD solids to CNC machine code. We specialize in software solutions for the woodworking industry and have developed AutoCAD-based tools to analyze virtually any 3D solid and convert them into manufacturable parts. This works well for cabinet parts, fixtures, millwork or diewalls, single parts, countertops, nurses stations, etc. Basically, flat panel processing with a flat-table router or saw / point-to-point machining center. Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5mU1GS-ZE4

NursesStation_ExposedParts_700.jpg

Curious if others are using similar technology...

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
beyoungjr
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

As you may know, you cannot simply "convert" solid models to CNC code.  CNC code generation must have paths defined.  A solid model can be the basis for establishing paths but a CNC CAM application or addon would have to be used to allow users to direct the paths to be programmed.

e.g. A hole could be drilled, punched, or milled.  Drilling and punching simply need to have the center point and depth directed by the user.  Milling would require the user to provide interpolation guidance, full depth, finish cuts, and direction of cut.  Oh yeah, lest we forget tool data.

e.g. An outer profile of a 3D solid would require a user to define the start position, direction of cut, depth, and tool data.  Oh yeah, can't leave out spindle speeds and feed rates.

There are applications for both CAD & CAM that work with 2D and 3D geometry but again... code cannot simply be a conversion process.

Hope this helps you understand the general process?  If you wish even greater detail you might do a trial of a CAD/CAM application just to see whats involved.  Before you get a trial version check out some "YouTube University"Smiley Wink videos and tutorials to get an idea of what you're in for.

And another thing... POST PROCESSOR!  A CAM application would require the user to specify what code language to generate for the target machine.  CNC control makers don't all follow one simple G&M code standard.

Cheers,

Blaine

Blaine Young
Senior Engineering Technician, US Army

Message 3 of 8
beyoungjr

Ok Ok, So I watched the video and you are using CAD/CAM.  Sorry for that long post that you already had an idea of.

The pattern generation for your work was similar to the manufacturer provided CAD/CAM we use for our waterjet machine.  I've heard of Microvellum but never looked at it before.  It appears to be a great solution for the woodcraft industries.  Probably less so for the metalworking and machining I am used to.

I'm not sure now if the post was more  of a promo or seeking input but the points in my first reply stand... the user must direct the show, no conversion process other than just pulling 2D profiles from the 3D model.

Nice video!

Blaine Young

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: beyoungjr

Hi Blyoung... 

I guess I forgot to mention in my original post, Microvellum is the software application that is making it possible for our users to "convert" solids to CNC machine code... through our automated process. We have a solution to analyze the solids - recognizing all the holes, part sizes, applying the tool pathing, creating the CNC machine code through our post processors, etc. We connect to (create the g-code) virtually any 3-axis CNC for flat panel processing and optimization. We even have tools to automate the process of creating the solid models for custom cabinets, fixtures, walls, etc. 

MicrovellumSoftware_3DModeling.jpg

AutoCAD has a HUGE following and user-base. We specialize in woodworking technology as an Autodesk development / OEM partner. In the wide-world of technology and business, my question was probing this audience to learn if other industries (fabric, metal, etc.) have similar technology. 

Here are a few other examples of how our technology works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHNGweonw6Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U8ik24vF2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEXwX8qRr7g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfACq8-qGw8

I really appreciate your feedback @beyoungjr

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

@beyoungjr thanks again for your feedback. Not posting as a promo... mainly curious to learn if there is similar technology out there in other industries. 

Message 6 of 8
beyoungjr

It is a very interesting platform from what I see in your video.

The "Flow" applications for waterjet programming are a little similar in that the cutting streams don't often vary much within industries.

The folks at fish and other food processing facilities use a small stream (.007"-.010") and no abrasive media to cut products based upon patterns, size categories, and species.

Industrial metals folks use streams (.025"-.040") that are mostly typical and direction doesn't matter, only internal profiles vs. external, and lead-ins/lead-outs.

I'm not sure that base software works with 3D models but I know there are addins for Inventor and SolidWorks that serve waterjet, EDM, machining, and woodworking industries.

A great topic and I didn't mean to diminish with the word "promo".  I was only thinking about what was being sought.

Again, nice demos and great topic!

Cheers,

Blaine

Blaine Young

Message 7 of 8
schoene

We're working with two solutions:

To automate CNC coding in 2D we use Sheetcam. A small tool where you designate a process to a layer.

For 3D parts that need to be processed by 5 axxis, we work with an additional CAM system (TopSolid by Moldtech).

For a small business like ours, it's quite costly to operate AutoCAD and TopSolid at the same time but so far we found no alternative solution that would cover all our needs.

Cheers

Marc

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: schoene

@schoene Thanks for your feedback. Can't find much on Sheetcam, but it must be working for you. TopSolid has been around a while in the metal industry and they seem to offer good 5-axis tools for metal working. We work in the wood industry and mainly process parts for cabinets, fixtures and custom assemblies. Things that you would build out of sheets of materials like MDF, veneers, plywood, laminates, etc.  

I have yet to find another tool that works like ours - I suppose this is good, but it's always interesting to examine technologies that are working similarly in other industries. The ability to automate the solid model creation, analyze the parts, capture the parts sizes all the machining, assign the tool pathing, optimize the parts and produce the g-code. You can see examples here: https://www.microvellum.com/solutions/solid-modeling/

My search continues...

Thanks again for the feedback. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta