Wblock vs. Block

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
anderson51
10552 Views, 6 Replies

Wblock vs. Block

Question:

What are the advantages/disadvantages of using one vs. the other?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Patchy
in reply to: anderson51

Wblock writes to a location you can use to insert to any drawing if you have a path set in OPTIONS.

Block stays in 1 drawing.

Message 3 of 7
murray-clack

The command WBLOCK is an action to export items from your current drawing, whereas the BLOCK command inserts a block definition currently defined in your drawing.  

(The term WBLOCK means "Write Block" which creates a SEPARATE drawing file of selected objects)

For example, let's say you have some design geometry that is no longer relevant to the project, but you would still like to keep it for safe keeping.  Instead of it cluttering up your current drawing, you can the WBLOCK command to create a new separate drawing file of the objects you want removed from your drawing.

Message 4 of 7
braudpat

Hello

In the current drawing when creating a future Symbol (Block), if I imagine that this symbol will never be used in an other DWG, I use BLOCK

In 95-99%, I use WBLOCK ...

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
anderson51
in reply to: braudpat

Thanks for all the input!

Message 6 of 7
v21ic
in reply to: murray-clack

Exactly! That's why drawing files contain BLOCK commands have an overhead which WBLOCK's  offers to alleviate by storing it in another file. 

It makes a lot of sense! 

Thanks

Message 7 of 7
RobDraw
in reply to: v21ic

@v21ic wrote:

Exactly! That's why drawing files contain BLOCK commands have an overhead which WBLOCK's  offers to alleviate by storing it in another file. 

It makes a lot of sense! 

Thanks

Not really.

As far as the .dwg is concerned, there is absolutely no difference. You might be thinking of XREFs, where the .dwg information is stored in an external file and then referenced in. A block is a block no matter if it was created with the BLOCK command or WBLOCK. There is absolutely no difference in the .dwg. If you insert a block created with the WBLOCK command, it is no different than one created with BLOCK. 

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost