Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated Block insertion

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
armansesar
196 Views, 2 Replies

Updated Block insertion

Guys, I'll keep it short, as I'm sure there may be an existing thread on this topic, however, I have not found a complete solution to this problem or identified the cause. 

When pasting an updated version of an existing block, the block appears as the pre-existing version of that block and not the new, updated block, that is copied to clip board. This only happens when a similar block already exists within the destination drawing.

Question 1: what causes this issue, I don't believe it is as simple as changing the blocks name, so there must be another identifier for the block that we may or may not be able to change prior to pasting the block in the destination drawing. 

The only solution I have found at the moment, is to explode the block prior to copying. This is not ideal as some block attributes best left in a block format. It also causes issues when blocks exist within blocks. That means you must explode all blocks multiple times or some internal blocks maybe replaced or misplaced. 

Please let me know if you know of a way to manage the block identifier or any other ways of resolving this issue without having to explode the block, or if there is a way to update the block that is within the destination drawing with the new block.

thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
pendean
in reply to: armansesar

@armansesar wrote:

...When pasting an updated version of an existing block, the block appears as the pre-existing version of that block and not the new, updated block, that is copied to clip board. This only happens when a similar block already exists within the destination drawing....

That's how AutoCAD works: named content in your file always take precedence over identically named content from outside. May I ask, are you new to using AutoCAD? This happens to many things, like layer names (the properties do not change if you bring in an option say on Layer1 that was green and dashed but that layer in the destination file is red and continuous for example). Same for Text Styles, dimstyles and more.

@armansesar wrote:

....The only solution I have found at the moment, is to explode the block prior to copying...

You want to try very hard to never EVER do that in AutoCAD. The better ways to redefine a block are discussed all over the web in many tutorials and in HELP in your AutoCAD if you want to try a search. Explore a few here

https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-redefine-bl...  

https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Faulty-insert-of-a...

https://www.autodesk.com/blogs/autocad/redefining-blocks-autocad-designcenter-tuesday-tips/ 

Message 3 of 3
armansesar
in reply to: pendean

thanks, that helps a bit, looks like the design center route maybe the best option (Also, I'm an AutoCAD pro :D).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report