Update Attribute in a block

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
aadkinzgroup
20279 Views, 7 Replies

Update Attribute in a block

Please find the attched 3D model.

There are 3 same assmblies..blocked with attributes.

The overall main block name is "1" with attributes.

it has sub blocks named as "1A" and "1B" also having attributes for individual items..

Now I can go to battman and change the values of attributes in it all for 1, 1A and 1B to suit new project.

Even after synchronising, the problem I'm facing is the existing attributes in the block is not getting updated to first level or second level...

But it seems Ok when inserting new blocks...

But I need to get the attribute value changed and get existing blocks already placed to be updated in main block and also sub blocks...

regards

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
steven-g
in reply to: aadkinzgroup

You cannot edit a nested block attributes one by one, you can make a global change which you are doing with battman, but you cannot edit the individual parent blocks to have different values for the nested attributes, it is fine if the values are things like part numbers and are the same everywhere. If you open the nested block in the block editor and change the values, I would have thought that ATTSYNC or the sync option in BATTMAN would update existing attributes, but I haven't used it on nested blocks.

Message 3 of 8
aadkinzgroup
in reply to: steven-g

Steven,

Thanks for the quick support.

yes i understand the same attribute block cannot have 3 different values.

But I want the same...

What I'm struggling is changing the value in battman for main block and nestedblock...

it doesn't gets updated to all the 3 blocks already placed...

I have some 100's of members already models a steel tower.

many members are repeating also.

Now i need to change the values to suit new project.

really struggling to get the existing model values updation.

Attsync and sync in battman is not working

Message 4 of 8
steven-g

The problem is battman alters the block definition which will be fine for blocks that you insert later. but the blocks 1A and 1B have already been inserted in block 1 and therefore are not affected, to make the changes you need to open block 1 in the block editor and double click on 1A to change the attribute values, then the same for 1B. When you exit and save changes to the block 1 all your existing blocks should have the changes you want.

Message 5 of 8
aadkinzgroup
in reply to: steven-g

Thanks Steven for the support.

Unfortunatel wven by using the block editor and sync in battaman...still I'm not getting the attributes updation in the existing blocks.

if inserting new it is OK.

But for existing blocks attributes are not getting updated even using sync or block editor.

Am i missing something ?

Message 6 of 8
Yorx57

I don't believe you can do what you want to - at least not without a lisp script.  The ONLY way to change all the blocks attribute values is to modify one of the blocks and erase all the rest - then either re-insert or copy the block.  Even sync will NOT change attribute values of blocks already inserted - only their properities.  This is clearly stated in the help files under Block Attribute Manager in the second sentence:

"SYNC

Updates all instances of the selected block with the attribute properties currently defined. This does not affect any values assigned to attributes in each  block."

Message 7 of 8
kadmonkee8
in reply to: Yorx57

maybe you can try this.

open a new drawing place the block you are trying to adjust make the changes and save that file.

go to design center and browse to your fixed dwg and try to redefine all the blocks in your broken dwg.

Message 8 of 8
sunghoon.lim

Hi,

I just wonder if you want to try to write block 1A and 1B to files using wblock command and to attach those block files to block 1 using xref in block editor.

If there is any change saved in block 1A and 1B file, block 1 will be get notified.

Hope it helps.

Hoon

Hoon Lim

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost