Unable to open DXF file in Autocad

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
Anonymous
32878 Views, 20 Replies

Unable to open DXF file in Autocad

Hi ,

I am using AutoCAD 2014-English version. I couldn't open a DXF file which is exported from one of the Oasys product (Adsec 8.4.10). While opening, it shows the attached message and closes without any warning/Error message upon pressing 'Enter'. Please note I am able to open the file in other drawing viewing software.

Please find attached the DXF file and let me know the reason for this issue and how can I resolve it.

Best Regards,

Karthik Appakutti

karthik.appakutti@arup.com

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
tmccar
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Are you sure that the DXF file is not corrupted? For one thing, it looks very small (1K). Could you have it re-exported?
Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: tmccar

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I am sure that the file is not corrupted. I am able to open the file in other drawing viewing software.

Message 4 of 21
m_kingdon

Have you tried the RECOVER command?

Mike Kingdon
Civil 3D Zealot

EESignature

Message 5 of 21
pendean

FWIW a dxf file is a text file, nothing more: open your 1kb file in your favorite word processor and read the content. It seems to contain one polyline with some vertices. Is that your "complex section"?

created by Section Export
SECTION
ENTITIES
LWPOLYLINE
Oasys-0
ENDSEC
EOF
Message 6 of 21
pendean

Yes, I was right, it's just a PLINE that you could have easily receated in AutoCAD.

Your DXF file opened fine in another Cad program I use for situations like these.

Message 7 of 21
artc2

Your dxf file is an entities section only file. AutoCAD only supports these in the R12 DXF format. Since an entities section only file doesn't have a version specifier, AutoCAD assumes that the file is an R12 version. The LWPOLY entity type did not exist in the R12 DXF format, so AutoCAD can't read the file in as an R12 dxf file and errors out.
Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: m_kingdon

Hi m.kingdon,
As I told, the file gets closed soon after opening. So it is not possible to use RECOVER command.
Thanks for your response.
Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Hi Pendean,Yes, its a simple polyline. Please dont relate the file name with the autocad entity. 😛
Message 10 of 21
Anonymous

Hello Pendean,
I can recreate since it is a simple section. But please note that the file is exported from a software, therefore what is the point in recreating it again. All I need is AutoCAD should be able to read the exported file else I can report to the software support ( The software from which DXF file is exported). Thanks for your response.
Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: artc2

Hello artc2,
Thanks for your response. I hope your post will help me to solve the problem.
Message 12 of 21
m_kingdon

To use the RECOVER command AutoCAD needs to be open.  Start AutoCAD with a blank drawing, enter RECOVER into the command line and select the file you are trying to open.

Mike Kingdon
Civil 3D Zealot

EESignature

Message 13 of 21
pendean

Basically, the source application does not create AutoCAD-compliant DXF files.
Since Autodesk is the entity that created the DXF format, they strictly enforce compliance. Do not ignore the well detailed response you got from Autodesk direct in post #7 above. You can't ignore that reality.

So your choices are to get a 3rd party CAD file that can read those bad DXF files and save to DWG file for you to open in AutoCAD (like I did), or find another program to translate your Oasys files to DXF (not likely). Go talk to Oasys about a fix.

Good luck.
Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: artc2

hello,

I have the same problem, I want to open a dxf file in autocad civil. after the "presse enter" message nothing happen.

there is a solution to open the file?

thank you

Message 15 of 21
cadffm

If you knew it was the same problem, you would know how to solve it 😉
Where is the file?
Is it an ASCII or BINARY DXF?

Without a file we can not help you. Upload your DXF file and we take a look.

- Sebastian -
Message 16 of 21
Anonymous

hi, can you help me fix this dxf file.i can not open it. thanks 

Message 17 of 21
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> me fix this dxf file

If you would upload the file, we might be able.

But without the file, without knowing the message you get, without knowing the AutoCAD version you are using, ... we can't.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 18 of 21
Message 19 of 21

Hi,

>> here is it

Sorry, a bit more information about this file would be great ... just uploading a file without any information is not the way I prefer. I want to know what I have to look for and what happens on your system using which software/release.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 20 of 21
cadffm
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

@huephuoc1996 

here is it

200117-1.jpg

Many associations are corrupt, but the main drawing can be recovere.

That's what I think as well

@Alfred.NESWADBA  schrieb:

Hi,>> here is it

Sorry, a bit more information about this file would be great ... just uploading a file without any information is not the way I prefer. I want to know what I have to look for and what happens on your system using which software/release.

- alfred -

- Sebastian -

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost