Did you mean: 

Turning Off Layer Doesn't Hide Objects

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
41668 Views, 10 Replies

Turning Off Layer Doesn't Hide Objects

So, I'm having trouble understanding exactly how layers are supposed to work when you've got things like block references in the mix.

Here's my situation.  I've got a block "Mike's Block" defined with three objects, on layers "A", "B", and "C".  I add a reference to "Mike's Block" to my drawing.  I put the REFERENCE onto layer "D".

If I turn off layers "A", "B", or "C", then the objects on those layers are hidden, regardless of if they're in a block reference or not.  This is what I would expect to happen.

However, if I turn layer "D" off, while the "A", "B", "C" layers are turned on, I expect to see only the block reference go away.

But nothing happens on screen.  The reference is still visible.

I see something similar with arrays.  If I put the array object into a separate layer, then turn off that layer, the object doesn't go away on screen.

So, is there a way to make it do what I want?

Tags (3)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Patchy
in reply to: Anonymous

Freeze layer D, not off, then you'll get what you want.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Patchy

I have to admit that doesn't make complete sense to me.  I can see why it might work IN ADDITION, but not why it works INSTEAD OF.

But it works... so i'm gonna go with the flow

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

the object is still visible if you designed it (ie: a block) on a particular layer. if the layer it was designed on is on, the object will be visible, regardless of the layer it is assigned to.

to get objects to act as the layer that it is assigned, you must design it on layer (or if it is designed, go to its design editor and change its layer to) "0".

i know this is an old post, but having gone through this myself, and seeing the responses saying freeze vs. turning off, just wanted to get some real info out there, rather than someone's work-around that doesn't solve the real problem.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

That's not really applicable in this case but thanks for the response.

Message 6 of 11
carmen5NQBA

I believe that the 'correct' way to do it would be to explode the block and then place all it's elements it in the layer you want to hide and then make the block again. That is because the original block was done in different layers itself. Therefore, even if you placed in one layer, the block is in different layers. No idea why freezing works, but it does if all you need is select other things. 

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

Hi 

Open the layers manager select the standaard layer 'points_attrib'  right mouseclick and select 'merge'

Than merge the attributes to the layer where the rest of the points (who resemble with the attributes) are based

Now you can turn the layer on and off and all items incl attributes will show or hide

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

Thanks for the comment gbc1965 - it's taken me far too long to find this out about attribute layers (autocad user 30yrs+). Never too old to learn something new!

I used to swear by full autocad but have been using LT for 6yrs without an issue until now.

I have a block inserted over 600 times with attributes, I need to freeze off just the attributes but now realise I can't as the attribute was designed on layer 0.

I've redefined the block as it needs to be (attribute designed on attribute-specific layer) but this doesn't update the existing 600+ blocks. I need to do it one by one.

Each block has a unique 8-digit reference, so this is going to be fun...

As I understand it, full autocad let's you update attributes in blocks, but LT doesn't.

Message 9 of 11
cadffm

If your version is LT2009 or older, you are right.

Otherwise, since v2010 LT versions also have ATTSYNC, which sync ALL properties (incl. the position!)

https://help.autodesk.com/view/ACDLT/2020/ENU/?guid=GUID-56B14079-250B-4C99-AB3D-F95BA1C32AB7

(AutoCAD since 2002 and earlier by command Attredef)

Sebastian

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: cadffm

Wow, that worked extremely well!

Thanks!

Message 11 of 11
rtrevino8M4F4

This works!! Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report