Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn off polar tracking permanently

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
bnording123
2805 Views, 6 Replies

Turn off polar tracking permanently

I am using AutoCAD 2016 to do some heads-up digitizing over an image and am having problems with another "improvement" to AutoCAD: I'm using the pline command to draw and it always wants to snap to the same angle as the previous segment, or a perpedicular to it. I think this is called "polar snapping" but I hate it and want to turn it off PERMANENTLY.  Yes I've searched extensively for a solution, and found nothing. F10 is supposed to turn it of temporarily (it doesn't), or F12 is supposed to do something (useless). Is there a system variable to turn this productivity killer OFF?  I have a lisp routine that turns off a lot of these "improvements" that are a nuisance and would like to add this.

PolarIssue.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
BeKirra
in reply to: bnording123

System Variable: autosnap

Have a look in HELP for details.

HTH

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 3 of 7
bnording123
in reply to: BeKirra

Thank you for the tip, none of my searches came up with that variable. It works great for turning of the annoying screen display of stuff, unfortunately the snapping behavior is still there even with the variable set to 0. What is odd is that if I do an inline zoom (such as using the wheel mouse) the snapping behavior temporarily goes away but is back again for the next vertex.

Message 4 of 7
BeKirra

You might need to look at system variables snapmode & gridmode.

Again, check details in HELP.

Note: autosnap value is saved in registry while the two above are saved in drawing.

HTH

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 5 of 7
cadffm

>". I think this is called "polar snapping"
Just talking about the one case from your picture:
No, that isn't 'polar track'ing, this is the running objectsnap mode "Extension"
as you can read in the picture/near to your cursor.
Disable it by Command: _+DSettings 2 or set OSMODE to a value 4096 lower.

>"It works great for turning of the annoying screen display of stuff,"
Think twice if it is annoying or useful ...just a hint

You are struggling now WITH these informations, hard to think you understand things better with less informations!?

Good time to learn more in Detail what PolarTrack(F10), OTrack(F11) and ObjectScnaps is and how to use them,
which quicktips an symbols are displaying for which snap and mode (so Autosnap default 63 is not a bad choice).

I just want to motivate myself to take extra time to read and test a lot.
With simple rectangles and circles so you can concentrate and it will not be unnecessarily difficult.

Disable PolarTrack[F10] and OTrack[F11], Autosnap=63, activate your running objectsnap-mode 'Extension' (and some more) and  test how it works.

Disable PolarTrack[F10] and Enable OTrack[F11], test how it works now.

not enough? PolarTrack

Enable PolarTrack[F10] and Disable OTrack[F11], also disable the 'Extension' running object snap

checkout the PolarTracking feature. Take time for different settings, Command: _+DSeetings 1

start with my default setting for daily work: POLARADDANG "",  POLARANG 45.00, POLARMODE 3

And after few hours or days you knowing enough to use some or all features together and you know how to use and how to set your perfect setting for each job.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
RobDraw

These "annoying improvements" have been around for a very long time and are essential tools for the vast majority of users. Your should be asking how you can use them to improve your workflow.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 7 of 7

I think you are talking about the (F12) or DYNMODE system variable. If you want it off permanently set it to 0 or 1 or 2 or 3 depending on your requirements.  It is very annoying when you are used to the original drawing method of autocad and I find it slows my autocad down when my computer has a lot of work security crap on my computer.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report