Did you mean: 

Trimming bits off solids

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
ksporry
894 Views, 7 Replies

Trimming bits off solids

Hey guys,

I’m trying to trim bits off a solid object. How do I do that?

i don’t know how to describe what I want in text, so I made a quick video to describe what I’m trying to do. 
thanks!

Labels (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
dbroad
in reply to: ksporry

You should be using Autodesk Screencast or hosting your video on YouTube or just post a picture. Few will download a 12Meg video for fear of virus. I downloaded it and it gave essentially no information since the video portion is missing, just audio.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 3 of 8
imadHabash

Hi,

TRIM and ERASE commands will finish your need . click on below image to see how it's work .

Trim and Erase.gif

Message 4 of 8
Kent1Cooper

Without trying the video [since @dbroad mentions the video part is missing], SLICE is the command to trim bits off a solid object.  Or if trimming is not along a flat plane, as SLICE would do, if you can construct the inverse as another solid, you can SUBTRACT it from the original.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 5 of 8
ksporry

Since there were some comments on the video, I tried uploading it to YouTube. 
I’ve included the link here:

https://youtu.be/aXxO4VyeVCY

let me know if there are issues with accessing or viewing the video clip. There might be some privacy settings I need to change, but with privacy settings of social media being immeasurably complex, unintuitive, illogical, and cumbersome, there may be a setting I need to change. 

Message 6 of 8
dbroad
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

From the video, it's not clear what the solid is. It looks like a circle and several tangential lines.

@imadHabash showed you how to use the trim command on 2d objects.  Perhaps a 3d conceptual view might help.

If you want to create extruded 3d objects from 2d boundaries, then use the boundary command and then extrude.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 7 of 8
Patchy

Use "Slice" command, pick point 1,2,3 ?

slice.JPG

Message 8 of 8
R_Tweed

You had a question about trimming a solid?  Try using fillet, which can be used in 2d as well as 3d although the selection process is a little different in 3d.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost