Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from Vectorworks to AutoCAD : please recommend a good set of books/vids

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
MacDaddyCK
338 Views, 5 Replies

Switching from Vectorworks to AutoCAD : please recommend a good set of books/vids

Hello Hive Mind,  I have been drafting with Vectorworks for over 20yrs.  I recently changed job and position (Scenic Director to Production Manager) and the company that I work for uses AutoCAD.  Can someone here recommend a good set of books/vids for starting this new venture?  I am finding the transition a little laborious.  I don't draft often in my new role but need to check and manipulate drawings from time to time.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  PS.  I have recently bought AutoCAD for Dummies (hate it) and a Skillshare subscription (which class is good? there are hundreds.....).

***THE POST TITLE HAS BEEN EDITED FOR CLARITY***

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jamatuseski
in reply to: MacDaddyCK

I've found that LinkedIn Learning has some really good content. I have not looked into Skillshare though so I cant comment there. 

Message 3 of 6
MacDaddyCK
in reply to: jamatuseski

I will look into it. Thank you!
Message 4 of 6
pendean

The best advise I read from a similar situation as yours was from another convert: I'm paraphrasing...
"...forget everything you know about VW snd approach AutoCAD as if it is your first day in CAD...".

May I ask: VW is Architectural/building focused I believe, are you actually limited to just using plain AutoCAD (general use, no AEC tools at all are included) or are you aiming to at least something more closely similar to VW like AutoCADARCHITECTURE (which is free with an active AutoCAD subscription)?
Message 5 of 6
MacDaddyCK
in reply to: pendean

Was using Landmark/spotlight for the last 20yrs.  The transition is going slow.  My job finally got me a seat for 2022.  I have been using 2014 for the last several months.  Unfortunately, I don't get to draft as much in my new position (Set Design/Master Carp to Production Manager).  So I don't get as much saturation in drafting.

Message 6 of 6
MacDaddyCK

Was using Landmark/spotlight for the last 20yrs.  The transition is going slow.  My job finally got me a seat for 2022.  I have been using 2014 for the last several months.  Unfortunately, I don't get to draft as much in my new position (Set Design/Master Carp to Production Manager).  So I don't get as much saturation in drafting.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report