5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
728 Views, 5 Replies

Substract Objects with Only Surfaces of Solid Objects

Hi, can you guys help me,

So i want to design a stand jig for the product I'd to work with,

This stand jig just need to follow the shape of surface of the product (which is solid),

Unfortunately, I can't get the solution to achieve that, I already try this:

1. Use ordinary subtract option (substract the solid of stand jig with the product) -> it become substract all the

product to the stand jig (FAILED)

2. Explode the product so it become all the surface, then slice the solid of stand jig with those surfaces -> it can't slice thus Autocad only accept to slice using surface created from Planar Surface, Loft or Extrude commands (ref: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Slicing-...)

Anyone can get this problem solved?

I'm looking forward for your solution,

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

>> This stand jig just need to follow the shape of

>> surface of the product (which is solid),

Can you please upload a dwg-file so we can see what you have now (a shape or a surface or a solid).

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi @Alfred.NESWADBA 

Thanks for your reply

Sorry if I can't explain quite well,

So there's an solid object (square shaped) that i want to subtract with another

solid object (the product), but rather than i subtract with all the solid object (product),

I just want the square shaped solid object to subtract with ONLY the surface of my product.

So the final shape of square object will be an object that can support the product

Here's i attached the dwg file, consist of square shaped solid object and the product.

Waiting for your response,

Thank you!

Message 4 of 6
leeminardi

Here's a view of your original part (green) and box.  I assume you want to make a cutout in the box to create a jig to hold the part for a machining operation.

image.png

If you subtract the box from the part you get the following unsatisfactory result.

image.png

If you make the box a little less tall and deep in the back the resulting Boolean subtract result becomes a little easier to deal with as shown here.

image.png

Exploding this shape and deleting surfaces that are above the bottom part surfaces yield the following.  This is a surface model with holes by the red arrows.  surfsculpt  will not convert the surface model to a solid model unless the object is "watertight". 

image.png

To plug these holes you can create a couple of cylinders, explode them and delete their tops as shown here.

image.png

YOu can now use surfsculpt to convert the surface model to a solid.

image.png

This may be sufficient to create the jig you need or you can modify the process.

lee.minardi
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: leeminardi

Hi @leeminardi 

Wow, it make sense, i'm not thinking about that,

I improved it by myself but I got the point from your solution

Again,

Thanks a lot!

Message 6 of 6
parkr4st

I played around with this.  I added the disc and unioned to the solid part, , then subtract.  exploded the solid and removed the surfaces from the inner part, and then surfsculpt leaving the result

Dave

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report